Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2015, 03:14   #1

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Two sailors rescued 150 miles off Nantucket-Sedona (Merged)

Here's a link on the Sedona rescue. A couple Aussies out for a winter sail had to be lifted off. The story said that they left from Rhode Island on Friday. The storm had been in the news since at least Thursday.

What were these guys thinking??

Australia-Bound Sailors Rescued At Sea During Blizzard « CBS Boston
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 04:07   #2

Boat: Tartan 34C
Two sailors rescued 150 miles off Nantucket-Sedona

When I first seen this on the local news, my wife said it was off the coast of Cape Cod...I thought to myself, nah, that can't be right...We've had a brutal winter with record snowfall, high winds and abnormally low temperatures...Must be in the Caribbean or something...Plus, we just had another nasty winter storm this past weekend with high winds, multiple feet of snow, and temps in the negatives...

Well, sure enough, she was right...I thought, wow, why would you even think about it? Then, when I pulled up this article about it online, I see these guys bought the boat on ebay. I then thought to myself, even worse! I always talk to my wife about these stories of people who buy boats and right away, decide to take it across oceans...I don't know the details behind how they inspected the boat, etc before taking it across an ocean but still, I would not feel comfortable doing it unless I've had a few trips on it locally...maybe they squeezed some in?

Mainly however, it reminds me that these kinds of situations are based solely on decisions...I have read a few of the tragic events that happened as they are posted to forums or blogs, etc and always think, these situations are ones which are avoidable based on decisions that I feel are wrong. Again, I am stating only the ones I've read about...I'm a fair weather sailor and watch weather closely even if I'm day sailing...As a captain of my ship, I just would not even think about it...Plain and simple.

So in many ways, the scary situations of most of the rescues you read about are just horrible decisions. This is definitely, IMO, no exception:

Coast Guard Rescue 021515

Do you guys see this differently by any chance?
Tartan 34C #177 "Nova Luna"
Tartan 27 Yawl "Destinada" (SOLD)
Southcoasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 04:26   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southcoasting
When I first seen this on the local news, my wife said it was off the coast of Cape Cod...I thought to myself, nah, that can't be right...We've had a brutal winter with record snowfall, high winds and abnormally low temperatures...Must be in the Caribbean or something...Plus, we just had another nasty winter storm this past weekend with high winds, multiple feet of snow, and temps in the negatives... Well, sure enough, she was right...I thought, wow, why would you even think about it? Then, when I pulled up this article about it online, I see these guys bought the boat on ebay. I then thought to myself, even worse! I always talk to my wife about these stories of people who buy boats and right away, decide to take it across oceans...I don't know the details behind how they inspected the boat, etc before taking it across an ocean but still, I would not feel comfortable doing it unless I've had a few trips on it locally...maybe they squeezed some in? Mainly however, it reminds me that these kinds of situations are based solely on decisions...I have read a few of the tragic events that happened as they are posted to forums or blogs, etc and always think, these situations are ones which are avoidable based on decisions that I feel are wrong. Again, I am stating only the ones I've read about...I'm a fair weather sailor and watch weather closely even if I'm day sailing...As a captain of my ship, I just would not even think about it...Plain and simple. So in many ways, the scary situations of most of the rescues you read about are just horrible decisions. This is definitely, IMO, no exception: Coast Guard Rescue 021515 Do you guys see this differently by any chance?
Video shows the CG being lowered near boat while the mast of the boat makes a wide swing. How do they get on the boat without the rescue cage or cable not hitting the mast, spreaders, or shrouds I wonder. Those guys are skilled indeed.

Sailors are lucky; could have been a no return one way sail.

Would like to hear a follow up to this story.
Greatketch33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 04:31   #4

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
re: Two sailors rescued 150 miles off Nantucket-Sedona (Merged)

Please forgive my geographic ignorance here... but there's no chance it's the Aussie bloke and his dad mentioned on a previous thread, who bought the boat in the US and planned to sail it home to Australia?

I can't find the thread, and my grasp of North American geography is not terrific.

Matt
Old 16-02-2015, 04:42   #5

Here's the backstory.
Father-son duo delays trip back home to Australia - NewportRI.com l News and information for Newport, Rhode Island: Local State
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 04:46   #6

And some more.

Once in a lifetime - NewportRI.com l News and information for Newport, Rhode Island: Page One

"We've never done anything like this. Dad's not even a sailor, but he's a quick study"

"1995 Carrol Marine" "winning eBay bid $10,000" "boat needed more work than he excepted" "got to know West Marine workers by first name" "expects the trip to Australia to take six to eight weeks"
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 04:51   #7

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Oh dear, oh dear. Not the best image of Ozzie blokes being presented here. Is there a blush emoticon on here somewhere?

Matt

P.S. Heartfelt thanks to the terrific USCG.
Old 16-02-2015, 05:18   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Wow...

Just Wow....

How did that not work out????

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 05:22   #9

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

In the past 4 wks or so, Bermuda has had 2 days when the wind was below 20- 25 knots, with many days gusting to 50kts. 68kts yesterday. We get diluted East Coast weather, so I can imagine what it has been like west of us for the last month.
Old 16-02-2015, 05:34   #10

Should there be a law against stupidity? Just asking.

I thought reading the earlier thread about these two that someone suggested that someone should go and have a talk with these two wing nuts before they set sail. Sometimes we are our brothers keeper.

regards,
Chaya
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 06:06   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Oh dear, oh dear. Not the best image of Ozzie blokes being presented here. Is there a blush emoticon on here somewhere?

Matt

To be nice, I'll say silliness knows no boundaries, although it is usually people form the US isn't it?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 06:09   #12

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
I can't find the thread, and my grasp of North American geography is not terrific.
Neither is the McGlashans'- if they think it's only 8600 miles from Rhode Island to Port Macquarie.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 06:11   #13

From the rescue story:

"Initial on-scene weather conditions were nine-foot seas and building, with 40-mph winds. By the time the crew was recovered, conditions had deteriorated to 25-foot seas and winds of nearly 60 mph. Seas are forecasted to build to 34 feet into the evening. The water temperature was 43 degrees and the air temperature was 35 degrees, according to the press release."
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 06:17   #14

Quote:

Matt

Don't worry. We knew you had your share of morons, same as we do.
Old 16-02-2015, 06:23   #15

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

It goes beyond the boundries of my imagination -

Just what the hell were they thinking?

Like the Wolfhound story - Were they thinking at all?

True Darwin award canditates.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nantucket, rescue, sail