Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2021, 18:18   #16

Boat: 1979 O'Day 28
Re: Rigging Single Line Reefing

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskflicka View Post
How does the reefing line get through the stackpack, that is my issue.
A gromet is probably the best. I have a slot built into the cradle/bag. It's separate from the sail not like a Doyle stackpack.
billdre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 22:42   #17

Re: Rigging Single Line Reefing

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdre View Post
A gromet is probably the best. I have a slot built into the cradle/bag. It's separate from the sail not like a Doyle stackpack.

I have a grommet in each reefing position, directly under the position of the reefed leech. The single line starts at the trailing edge of the boom, goes through the sail cringle (usually a stainless ring for lowering friction), along the side of the boom to the luff of the main and thence via the mast base blocks to the cockpit reefing position. The single line reefs are on the first two reefs, for the other two reefs I rely on horns for the reef and a rigged leech line.
The 4th reef is for genuine <Bf8 winds, and has only been used twice, in Biscay. The first reef is really a flattening reef for windward work Bf3-4.
The problem with single lines reefs are:-
a) the vast lengths of reefing tail you have in the cockpit (think 8:1)
b) the inability to balance leech and luff tensions (luff always overtightens before leech is sufficiently tight.
Fortunately there are ways round that, pretty brutal though they be..

PS the stackpack fits into the old foot groove, and has to be put on after the loose-footed mainsail is fitted.
PSS I have this arrangement since 12 months after I got the boat - in 1991. Since then I've done about 110K Nm annually, usually single-handed, except for the last 2 years of Covid.
chasfgr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging, single