Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2021, 12:38   #1

Boat: Rafiki 37
Big jump in boating deaths in US -- Covid related

https://uscgboating.org/library/acci...stics-2020.pdf

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/04/t...section=Travel

Quote:
The U.S. Coast Guard has released its 2020 Recreational Boating Statistics Report, revealing that there were 767 boating fatalities nationwide in 2020, a 25.1 percent increase from 2019.

From 2019 to 2020, the total number of accidents increased 26.3 percent (4,168 to 5,265), and the number of non-fatal injured victims increased 24.7 percent (2,559 to 3,191). There is evidence that boating activity increased significantly during the pandemic, from reports of increased boat sales, insurance policies taken out, insurance claims, and calls for towing assistance. With the increased exposure (i.e., more boating hours), there was greater risk of deaths, injuries, and accidents. The Coast Guard is analyzing variables associated with boating activity to normalize this accident data.
Old 04-08-2021, 12:42   #2

Boat: Hunter Marine 38
Re: Big jump in boating deaths in US -- Covid related

And a lot of new boaters lacking experience.......
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 12:45   #3

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I'm completely unsurprised. The idiot festival on weekend afternoons has gotten so bad that being out after about 1 PM on a weekend is just actively unpleasant. In other words, when we're not traveling, we've been leaving the dock a heck of a lot less than last year, mostly because dealing with the idiots just isn't worth it. Nothing like getting waked at anchor constantly, surrounded by tons of small boats that act as if the fastest boat is stand on, etc.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 13:27   #4

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Color me shocked.

Add alcohol too. New boater plus alcohol plus dehydration and we have a winning ticket.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 16:22   #5

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

And this statistic is probably not limited to the US.
Old 04-08-2021, 17:01   #6

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport
Knucklehead alert!

Hi All
Good piece in the New York Times this evening
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/04/t...gtype=Homepage
It is behind a paywall, but the gist is this:
"Booming Interest in Boating Leads to More Deaths and Accidents
The U.S. Coast Guard reported a 25 percent jump in boating fatalities last summer compared to the year before. Casualty numbers this summer are tracking to be even higher."

They are seeing a marked increase in folks new to boating and mostly inexperienced. Note that this is primarily about power boats, but some relevant stuff for sailors.
1. Nice story about a sailboat rescuing a severely injured power boater. Sailors might need to be better prepared to render aid and should take a look at their first aid kits and consider what you might need to aid others.
2. The article reports major increases in demand on SeaTow and other rescue and support entities. Sailors might need to expect longer wait times for aid.
3. Increased vigilance in general. One should expect more people to do more dumb things that could put your safety at risk.
This article is focused on coastal US and inland US waterways, not clear if this is an issue in other places.
lestersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 17:02   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
And this statistic is probably not limited to the US.

Yes indeed. I would love to see the similar stats from other developed nations who were also hit deeply with the pandemic.
Old 04-08-2021, 17:03   #8

Re: Knucklehead alert!

Ha! Beat you to it:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...st3457476.html
Old 04-08-2021, 17:13   #9

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch

Can't count the number of people that a few of my dock neighbors and I have yelled at in the marina runways that seem to have no clue what 'no wake' means.... and they look at you like you don't know what you are are talking about.

It's a regular occurrence the last 2 summers
Svsumurun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 17:24   #10
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svsumurun View Post
Can't count the number of people that a few of my dock neighbors and I have yelled at in the marina runways that seem to have no clue what 'no wake' means.... and they look at you like you don't know what you are are talking about.

in my area the power boaters think no wake means not on a plane. so they are in an 18 foot boat but are pushing waves 2' high .. and many of them know exactly what they are doing
Old 04-08-2021, 18:37   #11

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Always happy to be beaten by a good guy.
Cheers!
lestersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 18:45   #12

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Yes you did, but he had the cooler title.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 18:58   #13

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

On the wake issue: there are a great many users of power boats who haven't a clue they can swamp dinghies. Advertising for power boats usually includes many images of a large wake. They don't know what they don't know.

We once had a power boater become aware of his wake after his wake had dislodged the elevated leg in a cast from where it was propped up on the cockpit coaming. He apologized after the fact. Being in the cast, it protected the injured ankle, so no harm, no foul. But it was annoying.

What's probably more dangerous is that many of them are unaware of when to stand on or give way. So, BEWARE, 'cause their ignorance can damage YOU.

Ann
Old 04-08-2021, 19:17   #14

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

My immediate thought was "jet skis" (which I believe they refer to as "personal watercraft") and table 14 does show that.. but more in open motorboats... and towed watercraft... in the afternoons... yep, predictable. I know in my marina the jetskis love to zip really fast in the calm water behind the breakwater, and then they get out into the choppy unprotected water going the same speed, with kids at the controls. It is scary to watch.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 19:59   #15

A true dog story: My 220Lb mastiff dog and I were playing "stick" near the boat ramp at our local lake.

On the lake was a man, forty-ish and pickled, on a "personal watercraft" and with a girl of maybe 12 on the pillion. He was tearing around in circles and jumping over his own wake. The girl was screaming in terror.

My dog - a bitch - was getting jittery and whimpering quietly, clearly getting concerned for the girl. The people came ashore. First thing the man did was walk toward Cara while the girl was trying to compose herself. Cara backed off, growling quietly, hackles up, tail straight out, head down, staring at him. She had clearly deemed him an inferior, witless specimen not to be trusted. The man pushed it, stretching out his hand towards the dog, no doubt in invitation but looking as if to strike. She said WOOF! which, when a 220lb mastiff sez it, is something that can be heard. He pushed it some more, raising his hand. I got between them just in time! Only the witless instigate hostilities with a mastiff!

Anyway, Cara obeyed me before harm was done, and she got extra treats and cuddles that night :-)!
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, boating, head