Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2021, 06:00   #1

Rigging Single Line Reefing

Our new-to-us boat has a stack pack with no way to pass the clew side of the reefing line through to loop around the boom. Is it acceptable to simply tie a bowline to the clew cringle?
svenskflicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 06:07   #2

Re: Rigging Single Line Reefing

A google search seems to indicate you need to also have a vertical component to the clew attachment. Any ideas? I guess I have to cut holes in the stack pack?
Old 29-07-2021, 06:14   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

You need to have the clew reefing line tied to the boom. Stack packs normally have grommets positioned where the reefing line can pass through and tie around the boom.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 06:21   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
You need to have the clew reefing line tied to the boom. Stack packs normally have grommets positioned where the reefing line can pass through and tie around the boom.
That's what we had on our last boat, but this one doesn't have that.
Old 29-07-2021, 09:31   #5

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

If I understand you correctly, you want to tie the bowline directly from the sheave at the end of the boom to the reef cringle. This may work a bit, but I know on my boat, this angle would not allow the reef to come down close enough to the boom for a good fit.

I believe the reef line really does need to be fixed to the boom, up to the cringle, and back to the end boom sheave to make the best sail shape and get the best reef. Maybe put your own grommets into the stack pack to allow the lines to pass through?

You could use a hand grommet setting tool for this (like from Sailrite) and maybe get away without even removing the stack pack.
Smokeys Kitchen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 09:35   #6

Boat: Swallow Craft, Swift 33

With single line reefing I was never able to get the clew tight enough. Piece of cake with 2 lines.
cottonsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 10:29   #7

Boat: Hinckley 59
Send a message via AIM to caffel

Consider adding pad eyes to the boom to terminate the clew reef lines (opposite their turning sheaves.)

CA
caffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 12:29   #8

Boat: 1979 O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffel View Post
Consider adding pad eyes to the boom to terminate the clew reef lines (opposite their turning sheaves.)

CA
+1 That's what I have on my boom. Pad eye to cringle down to sheave. Put it back far enough to create an aft pull on the sail.
billdre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 12:54   #9

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Can you loosen the stack pack to tie a bowline around the boom to bring the clew of the reef cringle to the boom?

I
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 13:55   #10

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdre View Post
+1 That's what I have on my boom. Pad eye to cringle down to sheave. Put it back far enough to create an aft pull on the sail.
One more here with pad eye on the boom up to low friction ring attached to cringle, etc. But, I still prefer the double line reefing which we have on one of our boats.
Old 29-07-2021, 14:57   #11

I have single line reefing on the 2 lower mainsail reefs.
Both come through to the cockpit and the 1st is totally external as the boom originally was fitted for only two reefs, with separate lines to luff and horns .
The luff line requires far more winching in than leech. but even then takes about 35 seconds to put in a reef using cabin-top winches and clutches.
Designed for single-handed sailing, worked for 30 odd years, though I had to add cheek blocks to the boom, for the lines.
chasfgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 15:42   #12

Boat: Morgan OI 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeys Kitchen View Post
If I understand you correctly, you want to tie the bowline directly from the sheave at the end of the boom to the reef cringle. This may work a bit, but I know on my boat, this angle would not allow the reef to come down close enough to the boom for a good fit.

I believe the reef line really does need to be fixed to the boom, up to the cringle, and back to the end boom sheave to make the best sail shape and get the best reef. Maybe put your own grommets into the stack pack to allow the lines to pass through?

You could use a hand grommet setting tool for this (like from Sailrite) and maybe get away without even removing the stack pack.
Agree
BobLoucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 03:26   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
Can you loosen the stack pack to tie a bowline around the boom to bring the clew of the reef cringle to the boom?

I
The stack pack slides into the slot on the boom all of the way, so there is no access.
Old 01-08-2021, 03:26   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdre View Post
How does the reefing line get through the stackpack, that is my issue.
Old 01-08-2021, 03:28   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeys Kitchen View Post

This seems to be the best solution, does anyone in the Stockholm area have the setting tool they could loan?

Tags
rigging, single