Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2013, 16:05   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Offshore preperation check list

Maye a stupid thing but....for us with old man eyes...multiple spare eye glasses.

I can't believe how many I break during a voyage, and I'm forever leaving them in coats or where ever. I keep a spare pair at the binnacle that I never use.

I did not see a spare chart plotter or GPS and paper charts.

Nor check hand held VHF.

Great list.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 16:05   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
Rebel Heart, I learned the hard way about exhaust systems allowing lots of water into an engine. On a delivery from Hawaii to SF, we had a rip roaring downwind run when a low passed over. In the morning I went to start the engine and CLUNK no rotation. The exhaust system had been replaced by someone that didnt know boats and the loop/riser, at the transome had been made much lower than original. (A Peterson 44). It had filled the sump and several cylinders with water. That is also where I learned (the hard way) that if you are going to turn an engine over without the injectors in, you had better put a big towel or blanket over the engine or you will have water and fuel all over the side of the engine room. The less than good exhaust system was hidden behind paneling. I removed the paneling, and figured out why it all happened. My next 3 Hawaii deliveries, I demanded a case of oil and 4 filters be onboard. Never happened again. A boat could go for years without running really hard downwind, and then wonder what happened when suddenly their engine is water locked. The school of hard knocks.______Grant.
That's interesting. There's a sea cock on my exhaust outlet, I'll start making it a matter of practice to shut that if I'm expecting weather or for really long passages.

Thanks for the pro tip on that one.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 16:13   #18
Armchair Bucketeer

Very useful list
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2013, 19:35   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Updated draft here.

Thanks for all the good suggestions.

I was asked to update it to help/double check someone who is about to attempt a non-stop solo circumnavigation. That in part is why it is so 'comprehensive'. They have all sorts of equipment and spares lists but wanted a 'pre-passage' list.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 10:38   #20

Boat: Valiant 40-169

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
That's interesting. There's a sea cock on my exhaust outlet, I'll start making it a matter of practice to shut that if I'm expecting weather or for really long passages.

Thanks for the pro tip on that one.
The other way you get water into an engine is if your anti-siphon valve fails to open because it is clogged with salt or other crud. Then the suction draws water past your raw water pump into the exhaust where it backs up into the engine. I soldered a hose fitting onto my bronze Groco anti-siphon valve and led the hose to a fitting that drains into the cockpit. This has a 1/8 diameter hole in it. When the engine runs i see a small stream of water in the cockpit and that lets me know water is being pumped. The hose from the Groco to the cockpit fitting has a high loop in it so that water drains back when the engine is shut down and the siphon is broken.
gordwedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 12:12   #21
cruiser

Speaking as a guy who takes prescription meds every day as if his life depended on them, (because, well, it does) I'd add a separate item: check all prescriptions for all hands.

I don't know what I'd do if I was sailing with crew that wasn't family, that seems like it would be a personal issue. On the other hand, finding out on the second morning that I left a prescription at home means I need to turn back.

I've never made an offshore passage. So I don't know if it's common for skippers to ask crew about their personal meds.

I can see both sides of it: on one hand, it's really, really personal. On the other, a mistake here means we need to turn back unless you want me to die on this passage, and turning back is probably going to affect everyone on board in one way or another.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 13:13   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
I've never made an offshore passage. So I don't know if it's common for skippers to ask crew about their personal meds.
Absolutely. You must know what medical conditions your crew have and ensure they have their meds. with them.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 15:42   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I saw that exact thing happen last year. Was on Bras dOr lakes, not off shore but still resulted in an emergency call to come get sick crew member. He created further "issues" later in the trip and was eventually put off, with bus fare.

Captain claimed guy never said a word.

Come to think of it.....a bloke at Lewisporte told me a similar story...he was helping a fellow with a delivery, two older guys. The captain had all kinds of medical issues, serious ones. Went on delivery, didn't say a word, they got stuck in an outport for a few days, still didn't say a word, but kidneys shut down by the time they made port. Damn near died.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 17:23   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

^^

Yes, excellent.

I usually only sail with folks I already know quite well, so have not thought of that.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 17:10   #25

Boat: Tartan 27

if you use gaffer's tape (similar to duct tape), you'll find it comes free without leaving residue. Photo supply shop should be able to supply or point you in the right direction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Thanks for this, very helpful.
I tried to do a search about how you duct tape your hatches ( for some reason the image search pulls up pics of US movie stars, i dont want to know why )

do you have a picture of the duct taped hatches?
Do you have issues with cleaning off the residue?
Can I assume it is to keep others from opening, or it is to decrease water intrusion?

Sorry if this has been asked and answered, your site is busy, or my Internet is slow.
JohnDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 17:50   #26
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDM View Post
if you use gaffer's tape (similar to duct tape), you'll find it comes free without leaving residue. Photo supply shop should be able to supply or point you in the right direction
Its actually called duck tape , cause the fabric backing was from ducks originally , I believe.

Dave
Old 02-10-2013, 17:56   #27

Boat: Tartan 27

isn't that strange. I didn't know ducks wore clothing... On the other hand, ductwork in building often had tape on the seams
JohnDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 18:01   #28
cruiser

Duct tape.

For heating ducts.

Named after the only thing it's no good for.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 18:15   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Its actually called duck tape , cause the fabric backing was from ducks originally , I believe. Dave
Duck is a brand that makes duct tape. Much like Kleenex and Q-Tip. They are still tissues and cotton swabs respectively, but it is duct tape, for heating and cooling ducts.
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 20:19   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
Duct tape.

For heating ducts.

Named after the only thing it's no good for.

Never did know why it's called duct or duck tape when it is never used on ducts or ducks. The proper tape for ducts of course is the metallic stuff which I have found is handy for other things as well.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
offshore