Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2020, 17:52   #1

Boat: Catalina 470
Jupiter Inlet (FL) local knowledge.

Looking for some local knowledge of the Jupiter Inlet, and ICW south to The Bluffs Marina. My boat draws 7’10”, and from what I read it’s going to be almost impossible to get in the inlet. Anyone familiar enough with the inlet to offer some personal experience? Once through the inlet, would I be able to navigate down the ICW a few miles to the marina? I’ve been offered a good job in Jupiter, so am trying to find a live aboard marina in the area, one that can accommodate my draft, and also my 68’ air draft.

Regards,
David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 18:11   #2

Re: Jupiter Inlet (FL) local knowledge.

The air draft isn’t a problem. There are no fixed bridges between the Jupiter inlet and the Bluffs marina. The nearly 8’ draft might be an issue.

Check the Cypress Island Marina and Soverel Marina.
jibstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 19:57   #3

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

you could come up from the south on the ICW instead if Jupiter inlet.
GreenWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 04:19   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

I can't imagine you'll be routinely running Jupiter Inlet, IF EVER.

The Jupiter Inlet experiences constant problems from shifting shoals and shallow areas. Depths in Jupiter Inlet vary frequently.

These boaters chose the wrong day, tide and boat with which to run Jupiter Inlet; it capsized soon after this photo was taken.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 05:13   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
you could come up from the south on the ICW instead if Jupiter inlet.
I thought about that, the problem is the Blue Heron fixed bridge at 65’ - my air draft is 68’ :-(.

Active Captain says that Rybovich allows live aboard - does anyone have first hand knowledge of that marina?

David.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Old 04-01-2020, 05:15   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I would not consider the Jupiter Inlet as a good option. GreenWave's advice seems best, but you do have one fixed bridge coming north from Lake Worth Inlet. The Blue Heron Bridge has the typical ICW clearance of 65' MHW and a typical tidal range of just a bit over two feet.

I was wondering if you were including some antennae and instruments added to your vertical clearance. I see that the sailboatdata.com site lists the Catalina 470 clearance as 63.33'.

You may select a particularly low tide or remove an antenna for your passage north. There are a number of West Palm Beach Marinas for you to wait for your best passage under the Blue Heron Bridge.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:29   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post

The Jupiter Inlet experiences constant problems from shifting shoals and shallow areas. Depths in Jupiter Inlet vary frequently.
Yeah, that’s my concern! I’m excited about the job offer, but commuting 1.5hrs each way (and that’s without any traffic) is not anyone’s idea of fun. Since we live aboard, we can easily relocate our “house”, but need to find somewhere that is safe to get to. Probably need to find something south of the Blue Heron bridge...

Regards,
David
Old 04-01-2020, 05:37   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I was wondering if you were including some antennae and instruments added to your vertical clearance. I see that the sailboatdata.com site lists the Catalina 470 clearance as 63.33'.
I have the tall rig/deep keel version of the C470. Nice for going to weather offshore, not so nice for navigating the ICW. The main numbers on sailboatdata.com are for the short rig/wing keel version, though there’s a section at the end that has some data for my model.

Regards,
David
Old 04-01-2020, 05:43   #9

Boat: Formosa 41

I would talk to the local BoatUS or Seatow people and find out if it’s possible, then hire them to find the best depths and guide me in.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 05:52   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
I would talk to the local BoatUS or Seatow people and find out if it’s possible, then hire them to find the best depths and guide me in.
Good suggestion! It may turn out impractical, but worth a phone call...

Regards,
David.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:32   #11

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Is it possible for Boat US, another friend's power boat or use water bags to heel your boat over as you go through the bridge at low tide.

Never had to do it myself and think it would take a little practice to get it right, but the water bag trick poled out (for stability of positioning the weight out) seems the simplest way to get consistent results. If you needed more weight out could always put some crew on the end of the boom swung out!

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:56   #12

Boat: Lord Nelson 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post

These boaters chose the wrong day, tide and boat with which to run Jupiter Inlet; it capsized soon after this photo was taken.

Jupiter inlet is a disaster even for six foot draft, avoid at all costs !
Telemark43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 10:06   #13

You should be aware of a power line crossing overhead the ICW south of the Indiantown Road bridge and north of the Bluffs Marina. Not sure of the height, but if memory serves me correctly (??) it is close to 70'. Others may know.
Var Korall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 10:14   #14
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Port Canaveral has marinas without bridges and deep water (cruise ship port) that allow live aboard. The question is if they have available slips. Two that I know allowing live aboard are the Canaveral Yacht Club and Ocean Club Marina.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 11:24   #15

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV

I have entered Jupiter Inlet at slack high tide with no wind by staying near the south side of the channel. I would never try it again.

On an outgoing tide with a wind from the East, a significant race forms - enough to lay down a significant keel.

The inlet is fair weather for powerful fishing-type boats only.

A dinghy full of water secured to a halyard will get you a foot or so of depth - not had to do and any reasonable RIB can be used.
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal