Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2009, 04:55   #1
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
HOME MADE STEERING BOARD

Since we have seen a number of boats lost to lack of steering. I am wondering how one could build an effecient steering board before leaving the dock. I think it was Talbot who told the story about losing the rudder, and making a makeshift steering board. Having the components already on the boat could turnout saving a boat from being abandoned.

I would love to hear ideas on how one would build the board before leaving, and it being an effecient steering board.....i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:50   #2

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Since we have seen a number of boats lost to lack of steering. I am wondering how one could build an effecient steering board before leaving the dock.
Thought about a hydrovane? It would sort of help prevent the whole reinventing the wheel syndrome. It also can be mounted off center or even put on a catamaran.

Oh, and it doubles as a wind vane, too.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:43   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
That’s an interesting link...It does, however look like a substantial piece of kit to be carrying around "just in case", if your only purpose is for a back-up rudder.

For my time and money I would prefer to make or maintain or make better my present system to help avoid the loss of a rudder....Having said that, my rudder/connection is pretty darn substantial and maybe not as vulnerable to loss or damage as some.

I do have an emergency tiller.

Any excuse to post a picture!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rudder.JPG
Views:	423
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	6595  
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:00   #4

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi,
Most racers would pre-drill a locker lid to take a couple of big U bolts and fix this to a spinnaker pole as an improvided steering arm. But I've helped steer a 50 footer for 30 miles under this rig and can only say it was hard to use effectively in almost perfect conditions - were the going any rougher I doubt it would have worked.
But we have since played with two medium sized drogues each run from the ends of a pole lashed to run across our cockpit, with the drogues on a single continuous line. Moving both either toward or way from the centre line did enable us to maintain a wobbly but straightish line under sail with little manual efort, and it's this rig we'd use if our rudder ever fell off.
JOHN
Old 06-01-2009, 08:17   #5

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Here are a few links that I just looked at.

rudder

http://www.bethandevans.com/pdf/emergencyrudder.pdf

OYRA EMERGENCY EQUIPMENT AND PROCEDURES SEMINAR
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:49   #6
Eternal Member

I also have an emergency tiller, and a spare rudder with both on skegs . I also understand having a windvane, but this is not what I am asking. I am asking for input how you would build a simple steering board that comes apart, and can be easily stowed. I am asking for those who have no windvane, and there is loss of the use of the rudder, or completely lost. Seperation of the rudder from the post........i2f
Old 06-01-2009, 08:51   #7
Eternal Member

Morgan,

I just looked at the OYRA site....GREAT STUFF THANKS, and this is along the line that I was thinking......i2f
Old 06-01-2009, 09:35   #8

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
That’s an interesting link...It does, however look like a substantial piece of kit ...
It should be, it's a windvane

Quote:
For my time and money I would prefer to make or maintain or make better my present system to help avoid the loss of a rudder....Having said that, my rudder/connection is pretty darn substantial and maybe not as vulnerable to loss or damage as some.
Ah, the old "stitch in time" argument. Damn! I knew someone one going use that one. Properly done, it is the perfect defense.
Attached Images

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:00   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Maybe considering what you already have on the boat that you could use as a board would be a place to start.....like a sole board/hatch....washboard.....emergency cover/board for your windows....this helps with ease of stowage!

If you do have to fabricate something, it could be sized/shaped to replace an under birth board....or stand in the back of a hanging locker or serve another function.

The idea being maybe to look at it’s stowage first and design around that.

Since you have an emergency tiller, it may become part of the mix....design around it as well.

As for me…with my boat…I would probably make the board out of two pieces of 18mm plywood laminated together and glassed on the outside.

It would look pretty much like a conventional rudder with hinge pins or cylinders already installed and their mates permanently fixed to the stern.

I would fabricate a shaft, probably from metal that would thru-bolt to the rudder and its top would be shaped to accept my emergency tiller handle.

My boat is 38,000lbs with a 6ft deep full keel….I think all this would be built heavy and given my stowage opportunities on board the rudder would be a single panel and not collapsible or telescopic or the like.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 17:23   #10
cruiser

Do a big enough overkill on your rudder and tiller and you don't have to worry about it. Doubling the size of your rudder pintles is no exactly a performance killing weight penalty. About as much weight as a case of beer.
\ Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 18:43   #11
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
We have a drogue. Sometime when I get around to it I'll chuck it in and see if I can steer with it. I think I need 2 blocks amidships. Another expensive trip to the chandlry

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote