Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2021, 17:31   #1

Help me decide on line splicing tools

Hi all

I am about a week out from spine surgery and will be stuck at home for at least a month. I like to tinker so in order to save my sanity I’m going to use this time to work on my line splicing skills. It’s something I haven’t had to do much but something I’ve always wanted to learn.

I know we have some experts here and was hoping someone could recommend some splicing tools or ideally a kit with everything I might need. I’d really like to make some Dynema soft shackles, master the eye splice and any other recommended splices.

So what do you recommend?

TIA
docrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2021, 17:33   #2

Boat: Leopord, cat, 44
Re: Help me decide on line splicing tools

First time on here. A fid, a needle, a heat gun, a block, wax twine. But im pretty new at all this to.
Doublehaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2021, 17:54   #3

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46
Help me decide on line splicing tools

For soft shackles a razor blade, coat hanger cut up, a sharpie, and masking tape will do.
Double braid splices a fid helps as does a mallet or hammer to help work it at the end. And a hard point, like a sofa leg if you are ashore.
I know some love the splicing wands too.
Plus whipping twine and a needle.
And a lighter to burn the ends at times.

Not an expert but I do almost all my splicing.
It’s not hard, takes patience for the fiddle bits.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2021, 17:55   #4

Boat: Sabre 402

The most useful thing to get might be the Selma fid set:https://www.landfallnavigation.com/selma-fid-set.html
They're pricey, but they work with the smaller diameters that prevail on control lines these days. Unless you're splicing anchor rodes, most other offerings are too big to be very useful. Also be aware that it is often difficult to splice used braided line because the lubricants that the line was made with have been washed or worn out.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2021, 17:59   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublehaul View Post
First time on here. A fid, a needle, a heat gun, a block, wax twine. But im pretty new at all this to.
Thanks Doublehaul. I have a few things I rounded up from the garage that I forgot to mention. Electrical tape, a torch, a tape measure, a fine point sharpie, a small butane torch, my marlin spike (my riggers knife) and that’s about it. Somewhere on the boat I have a Sampson’s manual so I’ll have to run over and get it when I give it one last wash before my surgery (I’ll need a bottle of rum for that one).

I know that different size line needs different size fids. I will head down the YouTube rabbit hole here in a bit. Hoping I can get everything ordered this weekend. Boat needs new halyards and sheets before we head to Alaska so I’ll get some measurements (before the rum drinking commences).
Old 31-03-2021, 18:04   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
The most useful thing to get might be the Selma fid set:https://www.landfallnavigation.com/selma-fid-set.html
They're pricey, but they work with the smaller diameters that prevail on control lines these days. Unless you're splicing anchor rodes, most other offerings are too big to be very useful. Also be aware that it is often difficult to splice used braided line because the lubricants that the line was made with have been washed or worn out.
Thanks! I’ll check it out. I did an anchor chain to eye splice recently but it doesn’t look long enough and it’s a bit fat for the gypsy/wildcat. Going to try it again. I really don’t want to loose the $1500 bucks in acco chain I just bought. 😳
Old 31-03-2021, 20:05   #7

Boat: Outbound 44

I like the Toss wands. It is often easier to pull, rather than push.
Brion Toss Yacht Riggers, Sailboat Rigging::Splicing Gear . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . NOTE* ! * ! * ! * ! BACK IN STOCK ! * ! * ! * ! Basic Braided Splices

Also a ceramic knife
Old 31-03-2021, 20:08   #8

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

I have just written an article for a leading boating magazine about eye-splicing 12 strand Dyneema. It has stage-by-stage instructions for beginners and 14 pictures. I can’t release it openly until it is published, but if you PM me with your e-mail, I will send it to you. JR
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2021, 20:24   #9

Boat: Cape Dory 31

I’ve had one of these kits for many years.

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=33532#

I added one of these a few years ago to make splicing 12 strand dyneema easier.

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=2538478

I still have some of my old fids from fifty years ago but having the compact kit has made storage aboard easier.
Good luck on your surgery. I had several operations and a long period of recuperation after a car accident. You are smart to find something to keep you busy and focused. It’s very difficult being laid up for active people.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 03:25   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

If your back is out, pulling in splices might stress it--I splice all day long, and the firm tugs required put stress on the body's core as well as arms. Still, you'll be able to splice smaller line and play with soft shackle knots; but I wouldn't count on splicing a main halyard with a sore back.
For tools, I like a set of solid fids. The Samson kit is a good starter, and the Yale kit is the ultimate (having anodized fids is a huge advantage). A ceramic knife, unless you don't mind honing a steel one several times a day, and some micro-serrated scissors (see the recent huge thread on those).
I have several lengths and diameters of pull-fid made from pieces of stainless steel welding rod bent in half, and some very light ones made from SS leader wire.
Some vinyl tape, needles, and whipping twine (try to get braided instead of twisted), and if you want to really get fancy, a hotknife, and you're all set. I keep a one-foot wooden ruler and a wooden yardstick handy to measure bury lengths and eyemarks.
Old 01-04-2021, 03:58   #11

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned the Brion Toss splicing wand, which is the best thing since sliced bread for splicing, especially hollow Dyneema. Basically you are able to now pull a tail through the inside of the cover, instead of pushing it with a conventional fid and pusher. Brion Toss Yacht Riggers – Blending the ageless wisdom of traditional rigging with modern applications and materials.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Splicing-wand.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	235634  
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 04:50   #12

My kit:

Two sizes, Brion Toss wands
D-Splicer
Markers
Kevlar shears (f.ex Vampire Tools brand)
Sailmakers’ sewing needles
Crochet needle
Hollow fid (for 3-strand)
Whipping twine
Sewing palm
Masking tape
Ruler
Brion Toss: Book 5 field guide

Far, far better to pull the tail thru than pushing. But as was said, it’s still some effort, depending on what you are splicing
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 05:16   #13

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
I’m surprised nobody has mentioned the Brion Toss splicing wand, which is the best thing since sliced bread for splicing, especially hollow Dyneema. Basically you are able to now pull a tail through the inside of the cover, instead of pushing it with a conventional fid and pusher. Brion Toss Yacht Riggers – Blending the ageless wisdom of traditional rigging with modern applications and materials.
4 posts above yours
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 14:31   #14

Boat: Lazy Jack 32

('scuse me, I just got distracted by the coffin advertisement above the "reply" button). I used diagonally-sawed hollow stainless steel knitting needles as fids for splicing double braided polyester rope down to 1/4 inch diameter (thinner than that was too much of a hassle). A pusher helps. Definitely heavy and sharp scissors. Whipping thread and a needle, and a marker. The knitting needles cost a fraction of what you'll pay for fids.
Lazy Jack 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 14:55   #15

Boat: Catalina 34ll 2001

Surprised no one has mentioned hemostats. I have 2 sizes in my ditty bag. I find them very useful.
cat34shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote