Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2013, 08:17   #211

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
Where is the lovely Rakuflames?? Are you practicing the deployment and retrieval of drogues and sea anchors?

We haven't had any of those "interesting" discussions for quite a while....

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 15:33   #212

Boat: 45ft Ketch
Re: Drogue vs. Sea Anchor

Yep Raku, hope the health is holding up. Cold weather = lying low.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 01:54   #213

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

I'm curious about this sea anchor para anchor thing - I'd come to the conclusion that no matter what i chuck over which end of my boat she seems to settle beam on with no sails up - but assuming a para anchor actually sets to the current - coming down east coast aus. the east coast current runs at 1 or 2 knots southwards. It's not unusual to get caught in a change from ne to se weather pattern and i tend to give up trying to go south against the weather but - would a para anchor set in the current hold or even pull against the weather? Anyone tried it?
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 08:39   #214

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehows View Post
I'm curious about this sea anchor para anchor thing - I'd come to the conclusion that no matter what i chuck over which end of my boat she seems to settle beam on with no sails up - but assuming a para anchor actually sets to the current - coming down east coast aus. the east coast current runs at 1 or 2 knots southwards. It's not unusual to get caught in a change from ne to se weather pattern and i tend to give up trying to go south against the weather but - would a para anchor set in the current hold or even pull against the weather? Anyone tried it?
Try to look at a sea anchor like a steel anchor. Properly matched to boat it basically "anchors" you in one spot. All I have read indicates very little "dragging". 24 hours in a storm and maybe a few miles. So lets just pretend it is zero. Finer math can be done during the storm - while comfortably on the sea anchor.

If you are anchored to column of water then whatever way the column is going is the way you will be going. 2 knots S is 2 knots S. Then apply the finer math ("drag").

That is how I see it never having used one.

Tags
anchor, drogue, sea anchor