Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-10-2022, 16:50   #1

Boat: Helia 44, Fountaine Pajot
Do I need to carry a drogue or a parachute anchor

We are planning to sail in a 44ft catamaran from the Med across Atlantic and then through Panama to South pacific over the next 3-4 years - a fairly well worn route. I plan to sail in the best weather and routes possible - again a fairly well understood path. So given that we expect to be sailing largely downwind and in reasonable conditions, I am seeking input on whether we should be carrying either/or a drogue or parachute anchor.
My somewhat limited understanding is that a parachute anchor on a cat of that size is very difficult to deploy, manage and recover whilst I have a concern about a drogue in a following sea with the potential to have waves breaking over the stern. Currently my inclination is not not carry either and deal with the conditions by reefing and furling appropriately but seek experienced input - thanks.
gezza is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, drogue