Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2017, 08:15   #1

Boat: Boston Whaler, Conquest 315, 31ft
Challenges soloing a 40' twin?

One type of vessel I am considering is a 40' twin like the Mainship 40 Sedan Bridge. Some have advised that it may be difficult soloing a boat of this size.

My typical use would be coastal cruises of 100 to 400 NM, however, I want to also be able to do day cruises solo in Boston Harbor, especially for the purpose of building up my experience in boat handling.

One of the attractions of the 40' sedan is that it seems to potentially be a good charter boat because it has a sedan bridge with two chairs, so I can have a master and a mate (or steward) both up there and out of the way of the passengers. Also, if I am learning, I can be beside the instructor in my own chair.

What are the challenges I could face in soloing a boat like this?
jsc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 08:17   #2

Re: Challenges soloing a 40' twin?

i solo a 44 foot twin the only problem I encounter is I have no lower station making it problematic to get lines on the pilings while docking. Often are called to the doc hands will bring help
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 09:23   #3

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc7 View Post
One type of vessel I am considering is a 40' twin like the Mainship 40 Sedan Bridge. Some have advised that it may be difficult soloing a boat of this size.

Boat size is not the primary factor.

It'll have more to do with layout... and from that, how quickly, easily, safely you can get from helm to various places on the boat... and then back to the helm if necessary... multiple times... by yourself... especially while docking.

Consider the path from helm to mid-ships cleats, as when a spring line is required for docking. And then consider the path back to the helm, if you need to use power again for a second or two. And then consider the path to the bow (cleats) and the stern (cleats).

Good side decks usually help. On a boat with a lower helm, doors to the side deck from the helm or pilothouse usually helps.

Some 60' boats are easy. Some 30' boats suck.

Depends.

Stairs from the flybridge on that boat will almost certainly help, compared to a ladder. The walkway from flybridge to bow might help; I haven't been on that particular boat, so can only guess. I can't remember about mid-ship cleat placement, either... may or may not be easy to get to.

Aft visibility on that boat could also be an issue, a common thing with "sedan bridge" boats where you can see the aft corners of the boat from the helm. I can't remember how far aft that bridge extends, but I know similar boats in our marinas and the skippers can't see squat when they're trying to dock stern-to in a 4-way tie-up slip. One has a back-up camera...

FWIW, our passengers often prefer to be on the flybridge while we're underway. The saloon can be noisy if we're on plane, they can't see where the boat's going from the cockpit, etc... Many charterers are hoping to see the sights, and visibility is much better from the flybridge...

-Chris
Old 22-04-2017, 12:39   #4

Another factor is what does "soloing" (often: single-handing) mean?

Some boats can be much more manageable during docking in their home slip -- where dock lines can be pre-positioned, measured, easily reached -- and where habitual use helps make tying up almost second nature -- but entirely unsuitable at other docks without crew or dock hands, or both.

Underway? Usually easy, unless something breaks that needs emergency attention.

Anchored? And getting anchored? And un-anchoring? Not too hard, usually as long as foredeck access is easy and safe. Especially when at lkeast some of the anchor movements can eventually be controlled from the helm.

But docking is what gives many folks the most trouble when trying to manage a boat solo.

On the last note, when I mentioned aft visibility... I meant to type "when you CAN"T see the aft corners..."

Note that "sedan" and "sedan bridge" are more of those marketing terms. Sometimes that just means it's not a fishboat. Other times, it means the bridge is extended aft and designed to accommodate 87 passengers up there, in comfort.

-Chris
Old 23-04-2017, 08:19   #5

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Another factor is what does "soloing" (often: single-handing) mean?

Some boats can be much more manageable during docking in their home slip -- where dock lines can be pre-positioned, measured, easily reached -- and where habitual use helps make tying up almost second nature -- but entirely unsuitable at other docks without crew or dock hands, or both.

Underway? Usually easy, unless something breaks that needs emergency attention.

Anchored? And getting anchored? And un-anchoring? Not too hard, usually as long as foredeck access is easy and safe. Especially when at lkeast some of the anchor movements can eventually be controlled from the helm.

But docking is what gives many folks the most trouble when trying to manage a boat solo.

On the last note, when I mentioned aft visibility... I meant to type "when you CAN"T see the aft corners..."

Note that "sedan" and "sedan bridge" are more of those marketing terms. Sometimes that just means it's not a fishboat. Other times, it means the bridge is extended aft and designed to accommodate 87 passengers up there, in comfort.

-Chris
I love the 87 passengers. Even if a comma was omitted?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 08:23   #6

Our last boat was a 42 foot sailboat monohull. Our current boat is a 42 foot twin engine cruiser. The cruiser is a hell of a lot easier to dock single handed than the sailboat was.
Old 23-04-2017, 10:41   #7

Boat: Pearson

docking and hauling a anchor in crowded or windy situations. nice boat my brother and dad had that boat .
Old 23-04-2017, 11:05   #8

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I mostly solo an 83' boat. Away from the dock size doesn't matter. Docking requires preparation, laying out dock lines, etc. Also, a little common sense about wind and tide conditions.
I almost never dock with engine speeds above idle, I get over a spring line and idle one engine against the spring while I set the other lines.
I can control my anchor winch from the wheelhouse, so anchoring isn't an issue either.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 12:05   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

The missing factor in this conversation is you. What boat handling skills do you have? How comfortable are you in handling very large equipment-vehicles? The fact that many can single hand a boat of this size is good. However, many who dock single handed have extensive experience.

If your experience is "light" consider lessons--- not from "some guy" but from a charter captain. Most guys who do non-fishing charters single hand the boat. They would be a great source of info.

Naturally you want the lessons done on your boat.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 14:09   #10

"The missing factor in this conversation is you" and also the respondents. You may read "I find it easy to single-hand an eighty-foot boat" but not notice that he has been seagoing for thirty years. Alone on a 400NM passage in a 40ft boat is not the place to learn boat-handling and the other necessary skills. Get a 25-footer and take it to all the anchorages and docks within 6 hours, then you will have a better basis to answer these questions for yourself.
Good Luck,
M
MartinF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 16:03   #11

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

It can take a lot of foresight and planning to dock a boat by yourself, especially when you have to go up and down ladders to get back and forth between your helm station and your lines. Sometimes it is super easy, like when the wind is on your beam pinning you to your dock. Or when there is no wind at all, and if you can just lasso one piling, you can easily pull yourself into position with "Norwegian steam". As others have pointed out, there are shortcuts for when you depart and return to the same slip and can have your lines a-dangle where you can just grab them with your boathook and slip them on your cleats. But coming in cold, singlehanded, to a new to you dock can be a handful, in adverse conditions, even for someone skilled and experienced.

So I have to agree with the others who strongly suggest getting some instruction from a knowledgeable skipper, and WITH a crew. Just one person to pass and make fast the first line is all you really need. Coming ahead or astern against a properly placed line temporarily holds the boat in position and you can take your time making all fast. YOU need to be on the bridge with your temporary skipper and instructor. Do a few dockings with a crew, then try it with just your instructor aboard, watching you and keeping you out of trouble. Don't be in too big a hurry to start going out by yourself. And when you do, remember that a night at anchor is better than crunching up your boat or others, just because you were impatient to get tied up and get to the house. If your boat has a windlass and you can control it from your helm, then it doesn't take a lot of practice to get anchoring down pat. Heaving anchor can be tricky by yourself because you can't always tell which way your anchor chain is leading from the helm station. But simply falling back and then coming ahead as you take up more chain, and then coming ahead over the anchor when the chain is up and down, ought to suck it out of the mud okay.

For day trips especially, you can always find someone to go out with you. Plenty of folks with boats in marinas who would rather burn your fuel than theirs. Once you have a boat and can hang out at the marina you will meet lots of these people.
Old 23-04-2017, 18:52   #12

Boat: Cruisers 375

It will always, always be more risky for your boat, other boats, and you, to singlehand a boat that size. You can do it, it isn't that hard, but in anything but ideal conditions you will have to be tense and hurrying. The big concern needs to be that you can easily get injured just rushing down the steps or swinging around onto deck. One slip when you are hurrying and you and possibly the boat are damaged. Don't hesitate to ask for help, even radio in and let a marina know you are solo.
30West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 04:18   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I love the 87 passengers. Even if a comma was omitted?

Intentional overstatement.

Some of those extended flybridges even hold 152 pax.

-Chris
Old 27-04-2017, 05:09   #14

Boat: Dickerson 37AC

Anyone can solo a 40' boat with experience. I solo my 37' sailboat routinely. But I've been sailing and handling boats since I was knee high. Learning how your boat responds to your inputs is crucial. As well as having the routine down to a science. Being able to read wind, current, judging distances to dock etc are what make it a non event.

While on my approach to a t head for example, I'll be studying the current going by the other docks to judge where the water will push me. I look up at my windex or a flag to see where the wind wants me to go. All that gets processed in my mind as I study what will be my game plan. Don't be afraid to abort and make another pass. I've done that plenty of times when something isn't right.

And i think the hardest thing to do is remain calm. This only comes with confidence and that comes with time. I remember coming into the Nantucket boat basin at the end of Figawi last year with it blowing 25. I had some 50' Beneteau in front of me and a massive carbon sled with a huge sprit behind me and we were stacked up like cord wood trying to get in there. It was like gridlock traffic we were so tight. I started the panic on tip toes routine even though I had a full crew. I had to consciously force myself to remain calm with a deep breath after the Beneteau in front of me got locked up and started pinballing down the docks much to the delight of the 1000s of lookyloos.

So don't go wheeling into Boston Harbor and try docking at Legal on your first go around. I sail there often and it can get crowded. It's fine just to cruise around there but I would not recommend docking until you a solid. If you want to swing down to hingham I'll jump aboard with you and help out for some docking sessions at my marina.
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 11:32   #15

Boat: Dickerson 37AC

So having read another of your threads about boat piracy, my offer to assist in your docking skills has been rescinded.

If you come across my Dickerson 37 in Boston Habah, feel free to try out your latest "demand" skills, I'll grab the GoPro and we'll let the forum be the judge.

Be a good person. Life is easier that way.
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote