Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2016, 10:29   #76

Re: Can sailing upwind in 20 knots be fun?

I always enjoyed it a lot. Just making way, and doing the work. Can be cold up here in the PNW though.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 10:44   #77

Boat: PDQ 44i

NO. Not fun. Not offshore.
doublewide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 10:47   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
I'm a bit confused by this picture. As the sail trim in it would indicate an AWA of about 075 deg. relative. And the vessel pictured is actually heeling to weather. So it's not exactly upwind sailing. Unless I missed something?
We are heeling to weather because we have just come off the top of a big swell. The AWA could be as much as 75 deg (although I think we were generally pointing a bit higher than that). As I mentioned we did crack off a bit for comfort, and because of the seas we weren't exactly sailing a ruler-straight course. On this particular trip we left Hawaii in stronger winds and bigger waves than shown in the photos (those were taken a couple of days after we started and things had calmed down a bit by then). We were initially sailing closer to the wind, but because some of the crew was seasick I decided to hit the wind and seas at a more comfortable angle. Still substantially upwind, though.

And 75 degrees relative is, by definition, upwind sailing.

Remember, the OP's question was about "fun", not comfort!
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 11:00   #79

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

You just described the first 20 years of my sailing life! Being raised in Hawaii, if you didn't sail up wind, you weren't going any where. Any inter-island channel crossing involved bashing upwind in seas relative to the winds-15kt=4'seas, 20kt=8' seas, 25kts=12'seas. Needless to say, you learn local knowledge to minimize the torture. When I was a kid, I met an old salt who told me "Get a boat that goes upwind well; a piece of plywood will go downwind". How right he was. I used to love going upwind, but then it was warm and sunny with consistent winds and temperate water. Now that I'm older, and living in the PNW it's usually cool/cold with cold water. A dodger has become a necessity.
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 11:08   #80

Boat: Hylas 49

Love it - with the right sail plan for my boat. On my C&C 35, it was a reef in the main and a 135. On my Hylas 44 is is probably a full main and 130, unless guests are on board and I throw in a reef. If I had a light boat with a flat bottom, I might feel differently.My first criteria in buying a sailboat is how well it sails, not how bright and airy it is at the dock.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 11:23   #81

Displacement vs windward ability? I believe that heavy weight , up to a reasonable point is good (I cant define that point) but heavy displacement with a fat bluff bow will sail upwind like a sand barge. I think that the reason my little Contessa turned in good passages , even with a disp/length ratio of a tank, was that it had a very fine entry. Combined with being narrow, low and a nice wine glass shaped hull made for little (well some) pounding and kept the speed up. The price paid for that was a very wet ride to windward and initial heel being somewhat high. I have delivered some flatter bottomed boats (not ULBDs) and didnt like the pounding, but did not find it horrible. I guess my point is that I think hull shape vs windward ability is probably as, or more important than displacement. Just another 25 cent opinion. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 11:59   #82

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Hell yes!
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 12:01   #83
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souzag818 View Post
You just described the first 20 years of my sailing life! Being raised in Hawaii, if you didn't sail up wind, you weren't going any where. Any inter-island channel crossing involved bashing upwind in seas relative to the winds
Ask me about sailing in the Molokai (Kalohi?) channel! Or for that matter, the early morning ferry ride between Molokai and Maui, where half of the locals are puking their guts out. Strong winds and steep seas for sure. I will have to admit that this wasn't much fun. These experiences are ones we treasure after the fact. While they're happening, not so much.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 12:31   #84

Boat: S&S Loki Yawl 38'

There were trips made across the Atlantic with the early S&S designed Dorade that were intentionally routed so that they were to windward because the motion on the boat was so nice on that point of sail. The boat was deep, narrow and had a very high water loading which is pretty much the opposite of today's boats. Low water loading, wide beam shallow hulls are fast reaching and off the wind but the motion is poor to windward so not much fun for a long haul. A good friend of mine made three circumnavigations because he refused to beat even 50 miles to windward in the Trades to back track to see something that he missed..better to just go around again or maybe it was just an excuse. (grin)

James
Lokiyawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 12:51   #85

Boat: Celestial 48

Can be fun until wife gets seasick. Then no longer anything near fun.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 13:00   #86

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Yes, I'm sure they will show up with some remedial excuse.
That Response Only Looks Logical!
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 13:03   #87

Boat: Custom Build on Morgan West Indies 33 Hull

you betcha! big fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 30-11-2016, 13:05   #88

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
That Response Only Looks Logical!
Cats have their strong points but sailing upwind is not one of them.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 13:24   #89

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Sailing to windward in 20kts can be/is great fun.. when day sailing, coastal long w/end trips.. but 4,000nm across an ocean of it tends to take the shine off a bit..
Man, Boatie, you got that right. We did about 6800 to windward one year, thought it was a little OTT. Haven't repeated that. And at my advanced age, I confess I like it best when the water's pretty flat.

Ann
Old 30-11-2016, 13:55   #90

Boat: Catana 47 hull no 1 ex Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR

When I bought my L40 cat last year it was in the Seychelles and I chose June as collection time (work issues) so we had 15 day of 38-42 degrees to the wind (SE) with various sea states and wind speeds. At night we would reef down for safety and slow the boat to 6 knots but man did we pound that one or 2 nights I thought the boat might break apart the shaking and shuddering was so violent. After the first 5 days when we arrived in Mayotte the windward water tank had broken its mounts and was on its side. But we averaged 140-150nm per day and all enjoyed the trip south. I have a lot of respect for what I know she can take now
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fun, knot, sail, sailing, wind