Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2021, 14:32   #16

Re: About NOT power setting the anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
The problem with this anecdotal picture is that you didn't tell us the whole story.
  • Bottom type. Patches of weed, hard pan, or other trash?
  • Depth
  • Scope
  • Weather and waves. Were breaking waves a factor?
  • Rode size and type, including snubber.
  • Anchor size and type
  • How was the anchor deployed. We're only assuming it was not power set.
  • Did the wind shift?
Very likely it is impossible to know what the cause(s) was (were).

There are many possibilities. Power setting only tests one direction up to a certain wind speed. For example, a few inches of sand over hard pan can give a false impression even when power set. I regularly anchor some places where this is a hidden hazard (and we get boats on the beach).
I know nothing other than it's a charter boat. I suppose there is an outside chance they power-set and there was some sort of wind shift. But I'd say it's 95%+ likely they didn't set the anchor and just "Let nature do it's thing" as stated in the OP. Feel free to discuss the 5% possibilities, but not having an anchor stuck in the seabed means you're under way more quickly than if the anchor is set.

I suppose a tent peg will eventually drive itself via gravity and tectonic changes. Personally, using a well-swung hammer makes a lot of sense to encourage a beneficial outcome in a timely manner.

I just wish people who didn't set their anchor were obligated to hoist a flag or ball to indicate they are adherent's of "nature taking it's course." Would be nice if their self-destructive behavior didn't become a Kamikaze mission and take me out with them.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 14:39   #17

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I really don’t think this is the right kind of thread to have. Why am I dragged into this?

Obviously I’m kind of upset about it.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 14:43   #18

Yeah. My time is coming. I have anchored through multiple hurricanes and tropical storms the same way. When is my time going to come? I’m taking all bets. Pay me $50 every day I successfully sit at anchor, and I’ll give you my boat any day it doesn’t. How’s that?

If you took this wager, very conservatively, you would owe me about $300,000 right now. And counting
Old 04-01-2021, 14:55   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
If it can reset without the engine, it certainly can set without the engine. Makes absolutely no sense to say it any other way.

The anchor basically does its job. When there is no wind, it’s just sitting there on the bottom. When the wind pipes up, it digs in the right amount to resist the wind. When the wind pipes up more, it digs in more. When the wind changes direction, it resets.

How hard is this to understand?

You don’t need to show pictures of boats that are washed up on shore. To try to prove some point that you can’t even prove. That has nothing to do with the situation. You’re just posting emotional BS to put fear into people.

You are claiming that the anchor can’t reset at all if you are claiming it can’t set without the engine. I guess everyone is using a fisherman. Maybe it’s time to upgrade.
Sounds like a magic anchor - knows exactly how to set itself. I want one.....

I drive past a mooring field of derelict boats almost daily. Many have been there for many, many years and have 1000's of nights at anchor so I guess they too are experts at anchoring.

So let's set aside the topic of re-setting. What about setting the first time? Would that be good information to have, that you're anchor will set? I'm sure some will argue it for the sake of arguing, but let's face it: you're more likely to know if an anchor won't set if you power-set and it fails. If you wait until "Nature does it's thing" and nature is late or not up to the task, you're going to drag.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sailboat aground2.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	229962

Peter
Old 04-01-2021, 14:57   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

I like to first pick the spot I want my anchor to set then lay out the anchor and at least 3 to one scope.
Sail upwind at least 300 meters 500 is better. Sail down to my anchor point and throw the hook overboard and go to the bow and play out as much rode as I can before it starts to turn the boat into the wind. 10 to 1 is great . After the boat has stopped draw in to about 5 to 1 . Never drug with this approach even in a 50 knot plus blow. I have drug one time when I set with the engine.
Old 04-01-2021, 15:02   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Yeah. My time is coming. I have anchored through multiple hurricanes and tropical storms the same way. When is my time going to come? I’m taking all bets.
Here's a guy with a lot of experience at-anchor, likely a few 50+ kt blows given how long he's apparently been anchored. Maybe we should go around mooring fields like these and ask what has made them so successful at anchoring? Of course, need to also poll the ones on the beach too......

Sorry Chotu, nights-at-anchor isn't the right yardstick. Tell me you've cruised great distances and gone into poorly charted and/or open roadsted anchorages of unknown bottom and you're firm about not setting an anchor, I'll give some credence.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Derelict Anchored Boat.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	229963
Old 04-01-2021, 15:06   #22

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post

I don't care what other do as long as they are down wind of me.

yep...never a truer word spoken Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=images (1).jpg Views: 126 Size: 31.5 KB ID: 229964" style="margin: 2px" />

cheers,
Old 04-01-2021, 15:27   #23

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

If there's usually a good breeze when you drop the anchor, you can probably get away with a lot less in the power setting department, as you'll likely be able to set the anchor properly just from wind force. It's the calm days the worry me the most.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 15:43   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Forget who it is but someones signature on this forum signs off with ....

Theres the right way, the wrong way and what some guy says he has gotten away with
Old 04-01-2021, 16:10   #25

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Going back to the original post, I don't think it is a gamble worth taking. Not setting the anchor, for me anyway, would be the kiss of death to my good night's sleep. In my own neighborhood it is not uncommon to have kelp on the bottom that will foul any anchor. I am not even sure backing down on the anchor will always make a fouled anchor drag, and it may appear to be fine when in reality it is not set deeply enough. Any advantage that a lightly set anchor may offer in terms of resetting ability is just not worth the chance that it is fouled and you won't find out until its too late IMO.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 16:12   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Going back to the original post, I don't think it is a gamble worth taking. Not setting the anchor, for me anyway, would be the kiss of death to my good night's sleep. In my own neighborhood it is not uncommon to have kelp on the bottom that will foul any anchor. I am not even sure backing down on the anchor will always make a fouled anchor drag, and it may appear to be fine when in reality it is not set deeply enough. Any advantage that a lightly set anchor may offer in terms of resetting ability is just not worth the chance that it is fouled and you won't find out until its too late IMO.
That is the reason for finding your anchoring spot before dropping it .
Old 04-01-2021, 16:24   #27
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
I drive past a mooring field of derelict boats almost daily. Many have been there for many, many years and have 1000's of nights at anchor so I guess they too are experts at anchoring.

Peter
Why yes they are. But they don't have to be derelict to qualify. Example - Georgetown, Bahamas. I don't know what percentage of the "Cruisers" there never, or seldom move, but it's high. If they do move, it's to get a better spot that someone else just left after two months. By golly though, they spent 4 months anchoring that year.

One time I listened to a guy calling another boat that had just anchored near him. "I have 150' of chain out and my anchor is not good, so you should move". Professional right there.
Old 04-01-2021, 16:31   #28

Boat: Bristol 27

So far after nine years on this boat, I have never power set the anchor and have had to depend on it in very heavy onshore winds to hold the boat.

And yes on those nights one of which was near 40 degrees, I was praying that it would hold when the winds cranked up at around 1 am.

I am quite familiar with this area though having grown up near here.....

(old video) Example on a good day. I watch for a while .....since I just tossed the anchor out a minute ago.

My old anchor is a 20 lb CQR.

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 16:39   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I'm a not-setter, simply because I don't have the horsepower to powerset. I do set club-hauled sometimes, by sailing in slowly, dropping the hook and snubbing it off when I feel like it. If the boat stops cold, I got a good set. Plenty other times I've simply dropped and let the hook work itself into the mud on its own. In hundreds of different anchorages, from Panama to Newfoundland, either method has had good results: my 35# Manson has never dragged. So I think powersetting is completely unnecessary, though I don't object to people doing it if it comforts them. A decent anchor will set itself if left to itself.
That said, I rarely if ever leave the boat until I've watched for a while to make sure the anchor has settled well.
Old 04-01-2021, 16:42   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
I'm a not-setter, simply because I don't have the horsepower to powerset. I do set club-hauled sometimes, by sailing in slowly, dropping the hook and snubbing it off when I feel like it. If the boat stops cold, I got a good set. Plenty other times I've simply dropped and let the hook work itself into the mud on its own. In hundreds of different anchorages, from Panama to Newfoundland, either method has had good results: my 35# Manson has never dragged. So I think powersetting is completely unnecessary, though I don't object to people doing it if it comforts them. A decent anchor will set itself if left to itself.
That said, I rarely if ever leave the boat until I've watched for a while to make sure the anchor has settled well.
Same. Exactly. Identically. Same geography, same anchor, same technique.

How did ships anchor before the internal combustion engine??

Must have sculled it in to set? Lolol

Tags
anchor