Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2014, 08:49   #31

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Woman's Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Maje View Post
I understand what you're saying, but it ignores the fact that men run most of the forums. The reason probably is that there are just more of them, maybe. However, it is telling to me that over 4000 woman have chosen to join WWS because they don't like what they perceive as attacks on other forum for asking questions that some deem stupid. I'm not saying all men do this, but it happened enough on this forum that the FB group was created and is wildly successful. As I think I said before, WWS began as a safe place for women to ask questions that were ridiculed by men. That to me is the important part. If I were bored and pondering questions, I'd ponder that one. However, being female, I have now clue why men feel the need to make certain remarks.

Maje
It's almost like you are saying if a woman asks a question, it is deemed as stupid but if a man asks the same question, it is not. So I will go back to a point I was making a few post ago and that is if you used a non gender handle, how would anyone know your sex? I've been on this forum for some time now and have not seen the behavior you are referring to. In fact if you go to "Meets and Greets" you will see many time when a female joins the forum, they generally receive a warmer welcome. Of course that could be for an array of reasons.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 08:49   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Hi Maje

Here is the problem. Before this whole discussion becomes sexist, you will find that ANY question posted here will have a number of posters who will try to denigrate the question and the poster. Its not exclusive to women being the victims.

There is an "exclusive" for women here, its the Mermaid forum. I have no interest in it per se so cannot tell you if it meets your requirements or wishes or if it indeed is a functioning organ of the Cruiser Forums.

Personally speaking, in discourse with the women cruisers on this site, I have learned a lot about the subject (being discussed) and feel I would be denied that viewpoint if we segregate.

A backwards step for Cruiser Forums me thinks.

You already have your facebook site, why would you want another on here? Jes askin'..........
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 08:52   #33

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Touchy?...I find that statement condescending.

Do you? You might want to re-read what you wrote.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 08:55   #34

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Well I'm sorry. Now you are getting sideways. I hope you find what you're looking for. Best of luck.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 08:56   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Hi Maje

Here is the problem. Before this whole discussion becomes sexist, you will find that ANY question posted here will have a number of posters who will try to denigrate the question and the poster. Its not exclusive to women being the victims.

There is an "exclusive" for women here, its the Mermaid forum. I have no interest in it per se so cannot tell you if it meets your requirements or wishes or if it indeed is a functioning organ of the Cruiser Forums.

Personally speaking, in discourse with the women cruisers on this site, I have learned a lot about the subject (being discussed) and feel I would be denied that viewpoint if we segregate.

A backwards step for Cruiser Forums me thinks.

You already have your facebook site, why would you want another on here? Jes askin'..........
I don't. This whole thread began when I was looking for the thread we had a few years ago. Then someone asked why we didn't have it any more. I agree, there are always those few, but were you around and or did you read the stuff said on the question regarding jewelry I mentioned? The plain fact of the matter was that a significant number of women felt devalued. Men don't like to hear it, but...

Maje
Old 27-08-2014, 08:57   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
It still doesn't answer the question How is it not discriminatory?

I also get what you are saying about not wanting to be "attacked" however lots of men on here have been attacked by men and women for making certain comments including myself. It's part of life. If you post a comment on a public forum you have to be ready for a public response.

What happens if I don't want to have to worry about being attacked for asking what I am afraid may come off as a dumb question? Where do I go? I can't go to the women's forum. Do I start a nice men only forum?

If someone that responds to your question is an ass, call them out on it, tell them they aren't helpful and move on.
I would have called you an ass OTR... but we are practicing "safe haven" techniques here...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 08:58   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
It's almost like you are saying if a woman asks a question, it is deemed as stupid but if a man asks the same question, it is not. So I will go back to a point I was making a few post ago and that is if you used a non gender handle, how would anyone know your sex? I've been on this forum for some time now and have not seen the behavior you are referring to. In fact if you go to "Meets and Greets" you will see many time when a female joins the forum, they generally receive a warmer welcome. Of course that could be for an array of reasons.
When I was on the woman's thread and at other times I saw the behavior a great deal. You don't see it now, because the questions are asked elsewhere.

I have to go to work now. See you later.

Maje
Old 27-08-2014, 09:06   #38

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
I would have called you an ass OTR... but we are practicing "safe haven" techniques here...
I was trying to skirt that line. Guess I failed. Thank you for making me aware of my transgressions though. Sometimes I get carried away when trying to make a point.

We're still friends though right?
Old 27-08-2014, 09:08   #39

I'm bored...... Hope this lightens the mood
Forgive the British humour
This is possibly why men might read women's forums
http://www.dailymotion.com/embed/vid...ailymotion.com

I remember family camping holiday in the grounds of a boys school during the summer break, the boys toilets were divided in two for the ladies.
My mother queried why the hair washing facilities didn't not have a tap but seemed to allow only a few seconds every so often to release water, in her four decades she had no reason to question " what is a urinal"

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Hoofsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 09:15   #40

Boat: Bristol 29.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Maje View Post
In order to join you have to have your own Facebook account. Do you?

Maje
Yes, I do. I've sent several requests. If you have any suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.
Cthoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 09:35   #41

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthoops View Post
Yes, I do. I've sent several requests. If you have any suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

I have also been ignored repeatedly and I believe several chimed in to say the same the last time the topic came up. I had just taken to assuming the group wasn't active anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 27-08-2014, 09:55   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
I was trying to skirt that line. Guess I failed. Thank you for making me aware of my transgressions though. Sometimes I get carried away when trying to make a point.

We're still friends though right?
You didn't say "skirt" to be sexist did you???

We all have our transgressions... They vary in degree and transparency...

Aww... mannn.... we thick...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 14:23   #43
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthoops View Post

Thanks.
My wife is a member. Check your Private Messages.

Ralph
Adult pool | sailing away with R & B
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 14:28   #44

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, guys,

Since Maje's gone to work, I'll have a little say, here. Because she is right, I think, in her perception that the woman who asked where to put jewelry on a boat asked a question open to a lot of joking: "on the mast, just above the halyard slots," and so on. And nobody likes feeling ridiculed. Some of us choose not to have jewelry. Some have expensive jewelry they want to protect. And some of those are men. So to some members, it is a silly issue and to others, important.

When you add to that problem, the disrespect that is felt towards women and objectifies them, and the condescending intrinsic in some of the threads about how to get their wife involved, that is a common element here. The problem for me is that "women" are all different individuals, and they vary in their character.

There may also be the situation where "the stuff the boys are interested in," really means information the women aren't interested in and don't want to spend the energy to learn, either. And that's also part of the picture.

The whole mishmash exists here -- and in the world at large -- and gender relations are always in a state of flux anyway.

To me, the real issue is whether or not to respond at all to something I think is sexist. And I agree with the poster above who wrote that if you think someone is ridiculing you for a post, you should mention it. Maybe you misinterpreted, maybe the other one mis-wrote, or has something to add that will change your perception. Besides, it's not my job particularly, to educate men I don't know and who don't want to learn from me.

Cheers, everybody,

Ann
Old 27-08-2014, 14:31   #45

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I have no thoughts on the appropriateness of a Women's forum, but I'm curious as to how one would organize such a thing. This (CF) is a privately owned site, but run in a pretty public manner, and there is no requirement that a member truthfully disclose their gender. So, in this hypothetical Women's group, how does one exclude participation by males? I fear that there are some male members who will join in (as before) and spoil whatever exclusivity the women try to set up. Really, I can't see any practical means of achieving your goals. Be assured that I personally have no problem with the existence of this proposed group.

I'll be interested to see how it plays out!

Jim

Tags
rum