Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2013, 16:53   #46

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3

I'm partial to ceramic tile roofs, so make sure it has one of those.
Thank you for that recommendation, mate! I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to this stuff, so if this is a dumb question, I apologise. Wouldn't the ceramic tiles raise the CG too much and increase the risk of capsize? Or can I just use more lead in the foundations to compensate?

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 17:44   #47

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: What is better for open seas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethx View Post
Well I have right now a Colombia 23 and I am looking to Buy A Catalina 30 but not sure how they handle out in the open sea. I have been sailing for 7 years
I'm sorry you have suicidal tendencies. Fair winds, however.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 18:03   #48

Boat: Cape Dory

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I'm sorry you have suicidal tendencies. Fair winds, however.
That is a thoroughly obnoxious comment. Have you read the Panache blog Alchemy? An, what alternative boats did you suggest btw? Oh, none . . . couldn't be bothered, eh?
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 18:47   #49

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
That is a thoroughly obnoxious comment. Have you read the Panache blog Alchemy? An, what alternative boats did you suggest btw? Oh, none . . . couldn't be bothered, eh?
Agreed.
If someone wanted to climb Mt. Everest would you say they had suicidal tendencies? Maybe. Maybe not.
If someone wanted to ride a ten-speed from San Francisco to New York would you say they have suicidal tendencies? Probably not.
Pick any risky adventure. Are the people who participate in them suicidal? I think not.
Some things that people do come with a great sense of accomplishment because of the risk /adventure/difficulty factor while some people sit at home by the fireplace and criticize them.
I guess it take all kinds to make the world go round...
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 18:57   #50

Boat: Caliber 40

As with any tool - the danger is in the hands of the user

Any dangerous tool (or weapon) properly used in the proper conditions can be safe

Modern weather forecasting and routing make long passages in not so stout boats a potentially survivable passage. Caution and planning is all it takes - and a little luck!
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 19:26   #51

Boat: Looking...

Seth -

Do yourself a favor a take a serious look at the Westsail 32.

I had one as my first cruiser, and I loved the boat. She took me on great long distance blue water adventures. An affordable one will need work, but they are built very solidly. Like a brick s#ithouse. They are called slow, but that means a bit slow to get to hull speed - speed is a function of waterline length in a displacement hull after all!

And so pretty, IMHO. Really look like a long distance cruiser, not somebody's attempt to design to a rule or shave every penny off production cost. When you see the boat, you feel proud that you own that beauty!

Do not listen to nay sayers. Buy quality, and you only buy once!

Bill
westsail374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 21:18   #52

Boat: WestSail 32
Thanks Westsail374 I have actually been looking for a westsail 32i love the classy look of it. I am sorta of a handy man so I am looking for one that is way cheaper but need work so I can afford it. I sure do Appreciate it
That's Sethx
Sethx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 21:36   #53

Boat: catalina 400 MKII

When I went to college (45 years ago), I lived on a 21' (Aurora 21) sailboat. Great times. Not an Ocean Boat. When I was in college the most I had time for was some week long cruises around San Francisco. Didn't need a "ocean" boat. Years later, I had a Catalina 30 for about 10 years. Great boat. Sailed it up the coast from LA to San Francisco. Never came apart, even in some heavy weather. Lots of room. It would be a great live aboard for a single person. I probably wouldn't take it offshore unless it had some serious beefing up, but it is fine Coastal Cruiser, when well maintained and sailed. By the way, it will move faster than a heavier boat in light airs, but does that really matter to you? You might consider buying what you can afford now, that fits your needs now; and down the road get a boat that fits your needs then. Have fun!!!
scotty c-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 21:43   #54
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Douglas 32 MKII ,will take you anywhere if you dont mind being heeled over a little...Saw one on Yachtworld for less than $10,000.00(US)I dont think it is a MKII but they all will work...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 21:44   #55

Boat: Looking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethx View Post
Thanks Westsail374 I have actually been looking for a westsail 32i love the classy look of it. I am sorta of a handy man so I am looking for one that is way cheaper but need work so I can afford it. I sure do Appreciate it
That's Sethx
First, read about the Westsail history:

This is the story of the Westsail 32 that survived the perfect storm:

A little tip that will help a lot as time goes by:

An important thing you need to look for is a strong group of owners who love their boats and are happy to share insights with new sailors. They will tell what goes wrong (which happens on any boat) and the best ways to make it right!

Westsail owners are wonderful examples of such folks!

Best places to look for a Westsail are here:

WESTSAIL - CRUISING BOATS FOR SALE

Westsail sailboats for sale by owner.

http://www.westsail.org/forsalefor

Westsail the World - the was the company motto - I did it back when, and you can do it now.

Happy sailing!

Bill
westsail374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 03:43   #56

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'

Twenty Affordable Sailboats To Take You Anywhere by Gregg Nestor and John Vigor
Some of these recommended boats are probably too large. For more details buy the book
Alberg 35
Allied Princess 36
Balboa 30 Bayfield 32
Bristol 35.5
C&C Landfall 35
Cape Dory 33
Cheoy Lee Clipper 36
CSY 37
Endeavour 37
Islander 32 Mk II
Island Packet 31
Luders 33
Morgan 382
Niagara 35
Pacific Seacraft 31
Pearson 35
S2 11.0 (aft)
Tartan 34
Valiant 32
Also a few of the larger boats from Twenty Small Sailboats to Take You Anywhere by John Vigor
Bristol Channel Cutter 28
Contessa 32
Nicholson 31
Allied Seawind 32
Westsail 32
Southern Cross 31
Alberg 30
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 05:33   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
Better an "obnoxious" comment than a blanket endorsement of foolhardiness, I would think.

The Catalina 30 is the Dodge Caravan of little cruisers. It has many admirable qualities for coastal sailing, gunkholing and around-the-cans club racing, precisely the sort of thing 90% of recreational sailors do.

With its light displacement, little rudder, minimal tankage, (typically) gas engine, typical single upper and lower stays on a light rig and huge companionway, it does not, in my opinion, represent an ocean crosser.

I'm sure a practised sailor could manage it, but I am also sure, just as one could complete the Paris-Dakar Rally in a minivan, but customarily does not, that there are better choices.

The Westsail 32, the Alberg 30 and the Contessa 26 come to mind.

I'm sorry if my lack of enthusiam of the Catalina 30 as the ultimate offshore passagemaker has given offense, but I would say that to state that one has seven years' experience sailing, and then to ask if a Catalina 30 is "better for open seas" indicates a sort of mental disconnect I associate with a troubled mind. Pardon my failure to shake the pom-poms with sufficient vigour.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 17-04-2013, 05:35   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
I am thinking about buying a 150 m2 house. What do you, Sethx, recommend for me?
Careful, you might be called a soul-crushing evil-speaker!
Old 17-04-2013, 06:49   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I'm sorry if my lack of enthusiam of the Catalina 30 as the ultimate offshore passagemaker has given offense, but I would say that to state that one has seven years' experience sailing, and then to ask if a Catalina 30 is "better for open seas" indicates a sort of mental disconnect I associate with a troubled mind. Pardon my failure to shake the pom-poms with sufficient vigour.

Not a troubled mind, just an inexperienced one.

At least the Catalina 30 has a better chance of not eating the young man alive financially.

How much do you think it will cost to get a fixer-upper bluewater boat and equip it for bluewater sailing? Just because he asked the wrong question doesn't mean you should give him bad advice.

At least if he gets a Catalina 30 he might be able to sail it once in a while, instead of just working on it.

Most experts recommend getting the boat you can use NOW, not the one you hope you'll use in 5-10 years.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 07:43   #60

He could probably get an Alberg 30 for ten grand, a boat with better bones for the proposed journey. The Catalina 30, being the People's Cruiser, actually commands the same sort of "popular girl" premium that, in my neck of the woods, old, soggy decked C&Cs command, despite their various deficiencies.

I don't recall that the OP specified that he wanted to sail today or once in a while. He asked originally "what is better for open seas?" and listed a Catalina 30 as a possibility. If he wants to sail now, and coastally/inshore, the Catalina 30 is a pretty obvious choice, just as Dad's Buick or Caprice makes a good car when you are in high school.

But that is not what was asked. I don't feel I'm giving bad advice when I answer it with Westsail, Alberg or Contessa, old, now cheaper, unfashionable boats with very strong records of oceanic single-handing. There are more modern examples, but they are going to cost more. Something heavy, dark and narrow may not be, particularly if it was Granddad's old boat that his kids, not sharing a love of the sea, post on Craigslist. I recall recently mentioned here that some guy in Alaska picked up a Westsail 32 for peanuts in such a fashion. It can be done. I'm suggesting it be done with a different boat than the Catalina 30 if he really wants to go offshore.