Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2011, 15:21   #1

Stars, etc.

New here- So tell me, what are the stars all about beneath members' names? Also any other built in mysteries anyone care to point out, explain? Fanx, K.
Astro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 15:24   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Stars, etc.

the stars are awarded for the number of posts, up to a point.

the more you post, the more you shine.

welcome to the forum.
Old 29-03-2011, 15:28   #3

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

10 post - 1star
50 post -2star
100post 3star
250 post 4 star
1000 post 5 star

The other mysteries will be sent to you by PM when you get more stars.
Mark1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 15:36   #4

Thanx. Had I thought for a micro-second and searched, I would have found the standing thread for the topic. Back to research (read vicarious-ity). K
Astro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 20:58   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Another cruisers forum mystery is solved!
kind regards,
Old 10-04-2011, 21:49   #6

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Etc.

There is also a grey or green circle well below the members name, grey is off-line, green is on-line.

To the right of the on-line circle indicator there can be a number of other symbols indicating alternative means of communication such as ICQ, Skpe, ...

The title below your user name bumps from 'Registered User' to 'Senior Cruiser' somewhere between 500 and 1000 posts. For some people it is user definable which is why you see some smartass titles. One of the moderators tried to fix my account so I could change it but the fix didn't take. You may be able to. {Have since found out that user title is changeable if you donate and become a Cruisers Forum Supporter, see next paragraph}

The big green 'Cruisers Forum Supporter' flag is for folks that have donated to keep this little operation in electricity and disk space. It cost $15.01 year and misc perks go with it.

The green square that should be to the right of members names is the thanks indicator. Currently it is missing. When it is working hover your cursor over it and it will tell things like 'will receive many thanks', 'helpful poster', 'has received many thanks', ' has received thanks from all over the world', has received thanks from all over the universe'. The phrase is linked to the number of thanks received. First bump is at about 10. I haven't been able to figure out when subsequent bumps are but I have seen 1 person with 2 squares (Gord-May) and 1 with 3 squares (don't remember who). Speaking of thanks, . . . , just kidding.

If someone is going out of bounds, ad hominim attacks, political, personal, etc, the white triangle with red rim and black ! is the button to report that, it sicks the moderators on em. In reality the moderators are pretty quick to pick up on that sort of stuff just anyway. Really offending posts will disappear and the posters warned. Some threads are even closed because they generate too much ire and vitriol. If you have been reading thru a thread and try to go to next page or post to it and all of a sudden you don't have permission to access that thread, I am pretty sure sure the Mods are reviewing things and maybe purging because things have gotten out of hand. Wait a bit and the thread will open back up. It may be closed to new posts and there may be some continuity gaps where posts were purged but it will be readable.

The Quote button allows you to reply to a post and put all of that post in your post so people don't have to go hunting backwards to understand what you are replying to. You can edit down how much you quote so only the pertinent parts show. Make sure and leave the info in brackets at the beginning and end of the quote alone so the system knows how to display the quoted material as opposed to what you write.

If you want to respond to several different posts in one of your own click the button with ('') on it for all but the last post for which you use the regular (Quote) button.

And then there is the (Thanks) button that you click when you really like someone's post.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:53   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Wow Adelie …. I am both impressed and intimidated….!

Will there be a test??
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:09   #8

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Wow Adelie …. I am both impressed and intimidated….!

Will there be a test??
Depends on how many stars you have.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote