Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2019, 07:26   #1

Boat: 2015 Tattoo 26
New to sailing

Hello everyone,

I am new to sailing and just purchased a 2015 Tattoo 26.
I live in Orlando, FL and am looking for anyone in my area that has experience using and rigging this boat or a MacGregor 26M.
I could really use some help and hands on with someone experience so I can learn to sail safely and properly.
I hope to join others with similar boats on some adventures in the future like the keys or even......the Bahamas (one day).
I plan on start practicing on lakes then progressing to the gulf.
Thank you in advance to any assistance given.

wil
willn69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2019, 08:41   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: New to sailing

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Wil.
Interesting.
http://sailingmagazine.net/article-1...tattoo-26.html

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2019, 09:05   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome aboard Wil! You're in for a lot of fun now!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2019, 09:14   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Welcome! You're going to find, even in flat Florida, that lake sailing is frustrating relative to bay or gulf sailing, because the wind never seems consistent. I encourage you to try bays, with the gulf or Atlantic wind but little wave, as soon as you think you can stretch your envelope that much.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2019, 05:38   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Welcome! You're going to find, even in flat Florida, that lake sailing is frustrating relative to bay or gulf sailing, because the wind never seems consistent. I encourage you to try bays, with the gulf or Atlantic wind but little wave, as soon as you think you can stretch your envelope that much.
Your so right. My wife and I went out Sunday before Memorial day. The day started out disastrous. We raised the mast on land, but decided to put the boom and main sail on in the water......I dropped my tools in the water just after attaching the boom. There was a little breeze to get us moving, but not enough to keep the love bugs away. It was like a black carpet all over us and the boat. We got a lot of complements on the boat when we went into shore for a swim. The winds picked up, so we set off later in the day. We were cruising pretty good (i only used the main sail since I'm still learning). When we got to the other side of the lake a big gust of wind came and heeled the boat. Scared the crap out of us. The winds were really good the rest of the day, but as we got close to where we launched, I was worried about taking the sail down in strong winds. I just went for it and pulled the main down as fast as possible praying it wouldn't go in the water. it worked out. Planning on going out again next weekend for more practice. I hope to be using the jib soon, but am intimidated to try and manage 2 sails right now.
Old 29-05-2019, 06:06   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Hey, we've all been there. Let the boat swing into the wind (from an anchor or someone holding the bow) before you drop the main. Try sailing with just the jib; now days head sails do far more, and are far larger, than when I was doing what you are doing. Do you have roller reefing on either sail? It will let you try the boat in stiff winds without ending up needing fresh underwear. I'm reminded of kids learning in Optimist class prams - the beginners don't get the gaff pole, so they have half a sail. If you're out where you could get flattened, don't cleat the running rigging, just hold it in your hand. Then if a gust hits you, just let everything go, and you'll come into the wind with the sails flapping like mad.

I have a friend who is restoring a McGregor 26 here in Carrabelle. I'll get see if I can get the two of you in contact.

Hang in there, man, your envelope she is expanding.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2019, 05:55   #7

roller reefing? Are you talking about the roller furler? Is there a roller furler for the main also? The boat came with just about everything BUT the roller furler, A/C, and shore power. The roller furler will probably be my first add to the boat. I will definitely try just the jib next time out w/o the main. It's a "hank on" jib, so...... should still be fun though.
I learned the hard way that just letting go should fix any gusts. I tried to steer out of it.....didn't work well. I kept the main sheet in my hand the whole time, just reacted like i was driving a car.
Thanks for your support. We will probably go back out on the lake next, but i would expect to be in the gulf in about a month or so.

Tags
sail, sailing