Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2011, 16:15   #1

New Here! Young Man Hoping to Get into Sailing . . .

Hi there, just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a 22 year old Montana boy who has the dream for a while of acquiring a sailboat and living aboard as I explore the world. I plan on buying a boat in about 2 years. I plan on waiting that long not because of money issues, but because I have a lot of skills I need to learn first.

Right now I work as a professional weight lifting instructor, and Pilates instructor, which I hope may be useful for finding work port to port. I'm planning on taking classes in small engines, primarily boat motors, fiberglass repair, and take a couple more classes to add to my welding abilities. I know how to build computers from the ground up part by part, but I lack knowledge in general electronic, splicing and soldering so I'm hoping to get some apprenticing in that area as well.

Anyway I just wanted to list some of my current skills, and skills I'm working on and get some input on anything thing else I should add to my list and learn how to do. Goals are to be self sufficient in almost all boat repairs (save on $$$) and have the ability to make a bit of side money working on others yachts.

Of course I'm going to be trying to sign on as crew for any sailing boats I can between now and when I buy a boat. I need to actually physically learn how to sail with someone who is experienced.

Any suggestions on anything at all that I should be doing to prepare, or places I should be looking to sign on with a crew are very very much appreciated. Hope everyone is having a fantastic day.
stuborndancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 17:39   #2

Boat: Cibert, Titán 25
Welcome and go ahead! You're young and you've got time enough to learn and to wait, in order to do what you want.
Best wishes and fair winds
kumgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 17:44   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Now thats what I call a great intro..... nice one..
Welcome aboard..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 17:46   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Being a Montana boy myself I can let you know it's entirely possible!! If you're near flathead try to crew this summer at the NFYC in Somers, or at the other boat club in Dayton
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 17:53   #5

Yep like an hour and a half from Flathead, will definitely be trying to crew there. Hoping to get some time in Seattle as well, but we'll see.
Old 08-02-2011, 18:00   #6

I have no experience in working my way around ports, but from what others say, good luck. if you go to the top of the screen there is a thread called "crews", there is alot of ads from time to time for people looking to work as crew, alot of times no experience necessary. good luck to you, wish I would have thought about at your age.
jyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 18:02   #7

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
Welcome.

Traveled all over Montana on my bike. Beautiful.

Spent a couple of weeks canoeing the Missouri with some GI buddies. This was in '82. Just when the whooping cranes had reappeared after a 20 year absence. They were thought to be extinct at the time.

It was surreal, the entire flock leaped frogged us down the river. We would drift passed their location on the bank, they would take flight in unison and pass by going down river only to land a few hundred yards downstream. Repeating the process when we passed each time. They did this for two days.

Many folks will recall this is the flock that was aided in reestablishing their migration path with the use of ultralights and good luck.
four winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 18:19   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
welcome
try www.crewseekers.co.uk

also www.noonsite.com

also www.onpassage.com

for crewing oppartunities,sugest doing a "stcw 95" and a basic deckhand course if you want to work on big boats.
best of luck in our world
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 19:43   #9

Thanks guys for the welcome, appreciate it.
Old 08-02-2011, 20:03   #10

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
You sound like you've got the right attitude. Can-do.

There are so many skills to pick up, we all can learn for a lifetime. In general, it helps to learn by researching a specific project you want to take on -- and finding out everything you can before you start. That can help reduce re-work and bad planning, as we all make mistakes when we learn and it's always cheaper if you learn from somone else's mistakes.

Weather forecasting is definitely a good one to have, along with basic knots and splicing: YouTube and various web resources are available -- Start with the following basic knots: Bowline, bowline in a bight (a variation used when not tying at the end of the line), figure-8 stopper knot, prussic, fisherman's, and rolling hitch.

You can get by with just knowing knots but depending on the types of rope you're using it helps to know basic splices: three-strand loop, three-stand rope-to-chain splice, double-braid loop, whipping the ends of a line, single-braid bury, and single-braid modified brummel splice.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 20:10   #11

Ok good to hear, I was wondering about that and already actually have a couple knot books in the mail as well as a marlin spike. Figured getting in some early practicing wouldn't hurt
Old 08-02-2011, 20:14   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuborndancer View Post
Ok good to hear, I was wondering about that and already actually have a couple knot books in the mail as well as a marlin spike. Figured getting in some early practicing wouldn't hurt
ARRRRrrrrrrr Jimlad... don't ye know... every fingers a marlin spike... where's me grog.... Hic'

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 20:15   #13

Honestly I know just about nothing at the moment
Old 08-02-2011, 20:20   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
learn to "splice the main brace",and you will be welcome on any yacht, after the sun is over the yard arm...... jim me lad...........aaaaargh,oh and bring stockings.......for the plankton......
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 21:05   #15

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuborndancer View Post
Actually you can get all the instruction you need on the web. YouTube and Animated Knots by Grog | How to Tie Knots | Fishing, Boating, Climbing, Scouting, Search and Rescue, Household, Decorative, Rope Care, Return those books and the marlinspike.

Just start with the basic knots -- honestly you can get by all your life with just knowing the bowline and one type of hitch. Go sailing with others and you'll learn what you need and what's superfluous.

If you do graduate to splicing your fingers are still your main tools. Might not sound nautical but my splicing tool kit consists of the following: Samson fid kit, section of wire coat hanger (it's usually easier to pull something through than to push, so I use the wire/tape more than the fids) 3M electric tape from Home Depot, single-edge razor blades (no holder), a piece of scrap wood as cutting board, and a blow torch or lighter for melting the ends of nylon or polyester (I tape, razor cut, then melt, then remove tape). Also it helps to round the cut end of the hanger on a fine sanding disk so it's smooth and doesn't snag fibers. Add some waxed whipping twine to the mix and some needles for lock stitching when needed.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing