Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2011, 21:14   #16

Boat: Skookum 53'
Welcome to the forum.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:41   #17

Thats a pretty great site. So really no marlinspike at all? Most every autobiography, and web pages I have read that were written by other sailors mentioned using a marlinspike. If its not something that a person will use very often is it useful to become acquainted with at all?
stuborndancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:54   #18

Boat: a sailing boat
I think you have what it takes - the will to learn before you go, the readiness to ask about things you do not know, the sense of direction, the patience. I think you will do it and I think you will enjoy it. Good luck!

My piece of advice is that if sailing is to be a part of the cruising/liveaboard plan then try to include mastering sailing small dinghies in your training.

I started sailing in small dinghies so that when we got our proper (keel) boat things like how to tack, gybe and control the boat in all imaginable conditions were no longer any challenge. So on the bigger boat I had time to learn things like navigation, engine servicing and boat maintenance.

Sailing small dinghies teaches a lot on boat physics, the involved forces and the evident pitfalls. You will learn faster and break less equipment on your big boat afterwards.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:09   #19

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
I'm no pro but I've never used a marlinspike except (the one built into my rigger knife) to help untie knots.

Most books on marlinspike are for decorative stuff. Maybe you want to decorate your steering wheel or tiller handle? Turks head for your shackle pull?
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 13:37   #20

Thank barnakiel, and good idea about sailing dinghies first. I hadn't really thought of that. .
Old 09-02-2011, 14:21   #21
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Only time I've used a Marlinspike was in the 70's in Portsmouth Dockyard.... splicing wire hawsers for the Navy... also 2-3in manila rope...
Yachts have baby stuff....

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 14:09   #22

Hows taking the ASA cert classes in Seattle sound for starters? Figured id take 101-107.
Old 10-02-2011, 14:30   #23

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
You might also look into picking up a sunfish or similar to tool around on, easy to transport and sail,and will teach you balance/trim/manuvering
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 20:21   #24

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Yes on a basic sailing class. Two good things to know (maybe even take classes) to be employed port to port is diesel mechanics and boat electrical systems. If you can master those and, in addition, be able to get an outboard running you'll never run out of jobs.
kind regards,
Old 11-02-2011, 12:20   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Yes on a basic sailing class. Two good things to know (maybe even take classes) to be employed port to port is diesel mechanics and boat electrical systems. If you can master those and, in addition, be able to get an outboard running you'll never run out of jobs.
kind regards,
Thanks for the advice. Yeah I was hoping to find some classes in those, as well as fiberglass repair.
Old 11-02-2011, 15:41   #26

Boat: a sailing boat
There is also some demand for canvas work - not just sail repairs but mostly bimini / cushions / etc.. A sewing machine is not expensive thing - if you are handy with it, you will save on your own wardrobe and probably recover whatever you spend on the hardware in no time by fixing things for others.

Easy to learn, little investment and long time savings.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing