Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2019, 18:36   #1

New guy round the docks

Hello all,

I'm new to this community and thought I'd post a general introduction.

My name is Chris and I'm a 44yo male, 6'1" in excellent health. I'm married (no kids), and my wife and I are strongly considering early retirement and making the jump to live aboard cruising for a few years. My reason for wanting to crew is to get enough experience to be capable of becoming captain of my own boat at some point in the next few years.

I have some sailing experience on a friend's boat (34' Sea Sprite) around NYC waterways and LI sound. I also recently completed a 3 day trip from RI to ME to help a friend transfer a 58' Tayana cutter rigged sloop. I will shortly also be helping a friend bring his J32 up from Annapolis to NYC.

I have 20 years experience as a stagehand, and have decent skills with electrical, carpentry, rigging etc, but realize that there is much in those areas that are different on boats. I am comfortable with heights and working in rolling conditions, at 3 in the morning when that damn thing you thought was repaired right breaks down. I am largely in control of my own schedule, and can take off time on relatively short notice if the opportunity is right. Also depending on where we start/end up I can cover my travel costs.

Don't smoke anything, do drink moderately, but absolutely understand that captain sets rules for his/her own boat.

PM for info.

Thanks,
Chris
tartugas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 16:19   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: New guy round the docks

Welcome aboard Chris! You might also try posting in the "Crew Available" in Crew Positions forum here. I always suggest folks find a well-respected local delivery skipper to see if they need a hand, it's a great way to learn and get sea time! Good luck!

edit: oops I see you have done that already.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2019, 04:14   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Chris.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2019, 05:31   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

It sounds to me as though your experience is adequate for you to start sailing on your own if you are willing to stay within your envelope, just pushing the edges for more experience. NY at first, coastal only for awhile, then Bahamas from Florida, etc. None of us were "complete" at the beginning, and I'm certainly still learning.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock