Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2019, 06:56   #1

Send a message via AIM to 2024_Dreamin
Laying out the Plan

Good day- just joined the forum today. My name is Josh (37m) with my wife Liz (34) and two children (3) and (5). I have convinced my wife to sail off into the sunset with me once I retire from the military in about 5 years. We are starting to loo at boats now and I want to get some research in before I get crazy in love with any particular boats.

I spent a few years when I was younger sailing in local off-shore races in southern Cali and I've been dying to get back on the water. I am hoping to take the family and sail around the world, experiencing new places and cultures along the way.

We would love help, deciding on our perfect live-aboard world cruiser. At the moment, nothing is ruled out, but the wife wants BIG- more space. I'm not opposed to something up to 60' range, but wanted to know how practical that would be for the long haul. I welcome any ideas people have to good boats based on experience and knowledge. Thanks and look forward to meeting some new friends.
2024_Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 06:22   #2

Boat: J Simpson 44' Steel Ketch
Re: Laying out the Plan

Hi Josh - I just introduced myself in another thread, and you and I are on similar paths - we should chat!
dnbchrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 07:02   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Josh, given your location, I suggest you charter a yacht in say Greece or Turkey for a fortnight to see if the lifestyle suits your future needs, way before you think about buying a yacht.

Avoid the high season unless you like it hot, July - August in the med is too hot for us.

I would choose a modern 3 cabin 40ft yacht of European manufacturer for the holiday. Have a great time, in a nice boat in good weather and spoil the Missus or the grand plan will fail at the first hurdle.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 07:09   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnbchrd View Post
Hi Josh - I just introduced myself in another thread, and you and I are on similar paths - we should chat!
So were do you plan to start off this year long cruise? You are probably thinking of the US, but it need not be:

https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/2...dard%20listing
Old 15-05-2019, 07:23   #5

A big boat sounds like a great idea... and a really big boat sounds like an even better idea... until it isn't.

This is my perspective. And worth every penny you paid for it...

I think the thing most people don't appreciate is how limiting a 60 foot boat can be in where you go, and how much time and money you have to spend when you get there. For a couple to handle a boat that size, it has to be a VERY complex and systems intensive boat, with lots of things that need maintenance and repair.

Now, there is nothing inherently wrong with that (my boat is like that!) but it is something you have to understand and be ready for.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 08:04   #6

Boat: J Simpson 44' Steel Ketch

You're right, I am planning on departing Northeast US... But I have an open mind.
dnbchrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 08:25   #7

Send a message via AIM to 2024_Dreamin

Thanks all for the responses.

I took the wife to a boat show earlier this year to give her an idea of the size of different boats. The big problem is that new boats don't lok anything like older used boats. We walked on a couple of Hanse models that looked like a college students apartment- sparse furniture to create an open feel.

She thinks a 50-65 boat would be great. I've tried to illustrate the complications with that size boat, especially with it really only being the two of us to handle since the kids are younger. Also the additional costs of maintenance and permits/visas for traveling.

We have already talked about chartering a boat for a week to see if the lifestyle fits us- one of the milestones we have outlined prior to making a purchase.

Bill- I enjoyed your article immensely. I liked your rules about boat buying very much and the advice you give. if you have time, I would love to throw out more about my ideas to hear what your thoughts may be.

I've been looking at some Gulfstar 60s, as well as a few other boats, to include Formosa 68 ketchs- but I feel I might need to look at some stuff a little smaller.

We plan on sailing the world, crossing oceans, and being able to carry things like scuba gear, SUP boards, and kitesurfing gear. Only a family of 4 right now, maybe 5 by that point. I am 6' tall, and the wife is a 5' 4' 100lb soaking wet bean pole.
2024_Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 08:32   #8

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

You should probably do a detailed forecast of the maintenance and component replacement costs of 60 foot boats, as compared to 40 foot boats. The difference in costs can be extremely substantial. A 60 foot boat would be unaffordable over the long run for most people. Purchase price is only a small factor. In my experience, once you transition from land living to boat living, your whole perspective on size can change. The world around you is where you find your space.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 09:16   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2024_Dreamin View Post
She thinks a 50-65 boat would be great.

I've been looking at some Gulfstar 60s, as well as a few other boats, to include Formosa 68 ketchs-
Wow, way too big IMHO. Dockhead on here has a Moody 54. Cost to replace the sails with a decent set? 30,000 and that's UK Pounds not Dollars. The costs really ramp up with size.

So lets have a look at a couple of folk on YT. These guys had a boat in the med, sold it and bought a boat in Scotland, 40ft Trident. Changed there plans and wanted to go back to the med so buy a 38ft Bavaria.

The boat in Scotland they sold is this one:

Old 15-05-2019, 11:00   #10
cruiser

We have been considering a cruise for our family for a long time. We have never been on a cruise before but it seems like it would be a perfect thing to do with young children (7 and 10 yrs old) because of the variety of things offered. Unfortunately we have a very small budget to work with. I am surfing currently through cruises sites to figure out the plan. So keep you posted on my experience.
Sam8989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 00:10   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sam, this forum is about sailing and cruising in your own vessel rather than a huge great cruise ship that is very environmentally unfriendly.
Old 16-05-2019, 03:31   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Laying out the Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhead View Post
You should probably do a detailed forecast of the maintenance and component replacement costs of 60 foot boats, as compared to 40 foot boats. The difference in costs can be extremely substantial. A 60 foot boat would be unaffordable over the long run for most people. Purchase price is only a small factor. In my experience, once you transition from land living to boat living, your whole perspective on size can change. The world around you is where you find your space.

This is pretty much it.
Which Military are you Retiring from? I’m Retired US Military, and can tell you that you cannot afford a 60’ Boat, much less a family on Military Retirement.
I hope that you have at least equal to the Retirement’s funds as another source of income, especially if you want a big boat
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 04:48   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Josh.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote