Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2023, 12:22   #16

Re: new guy, looking for advise

I would not shy away from a boat that was in pretty good shape but the engine needed to be rebuilt as I can do that myself, I do want to have a diesel generator as I can steal fuel from the engine if I had to to run the geny, and I refuse to have gasoline on the boat at all. ha ha
survivor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2023, 12:52   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivor25 View Post
Not exactly a "fixer upper" but I do want to "outfit" a boat myself maybe, pending on what is already there. 30-40K but I have seen a FEW pretty good looking boats for 25-30K but needed work inside and maybe cosmetics outside but the hull and integrity of the design was bulletproof, that is kind of what I want. I can do "pretty" work out in the water, I am one to be busy all the time anyway, it is the work that requires haul out that I don't particularly want to do. I want to have a new water maker, and new nav system, new batts, and will outfit solar either with what is there or new either way. and of course I would prefer the hull to be ready maybe. I can do a bottom job, but why? ya know just pay up a little and get one with a fresh bottom job. the rest I can do sort of "at leasure" fairing and painting and brightwork i am happy to do day to day, out in the water....from what I am seeing I should be able to get into a decent boat for 30-40K sailable but just not real pretty. I am however quite adamant to a KETCH, solid FRP, keel stepped, and prefer over 10 ton....and yes I know I just asked for allot, ha ha but they are out there, I let 2 get by me that was in fact exactly what I wanted. the Ketches are few and far in the 30K price range

I don't think this is too far off the mark, except you may find it difficult finding a boat that doesn't need a haul without first hauling and having a trusted professional give you their opinion. Hauling and that type of related work is not hard and is a regular part of maintenance.
nelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2023, 12:57   #18

Boat: 1966 Spencer 42'

Hey Survivor25!

There is an amazing boat for sale in Georgia right now, a Spencer 1330, looks to be a beautiful boat.

I have a Spencer 42, they are incredibly well built.
Old 16-06-2023, 13:02   #19

Hey I appreciate you taking time to talk with me a little, I am a diligent person and following any "source" that may be advantageous to the cause LOL. I am still trying to figure out navigating this site better. looks like PM a message or something would be faster. it is just my first time on here so......I digress LOL (cant see a "refresh" button BTW) LOL
Old 16-06-2023, 13:04   #20

Hi Reneged sailor, where in GA??
Old 16-06-2023, 13:10   #21

Is it on a listing?? definitely would want to look at it.
Old 16-06-2023, 13:12   #22

Quote:
Unsure if the boat in question, but here: https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/198...-1330-8820705/

Looks like a solid price. Unfamiliar with the boat.
nelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2023, 13:12   #23

Boat: Ta Shing - Baba 35

Everything is a compromise.
Heavily built, full keel boats of your size range are not easy to maneuver in tight spaces.

Have you ruled out smaller boats such as a Fuji 32 or 35? Just one example, there are many, that might check your boxes without weighing like 30k lbs

I only say this as it sounds like you’re going to be single handing a lot and docking our boat in any more than a few knots of wind quickly becomes a two person job. Even at that there have been times where we’ve had to go for a slip that we weren’t assigned to due to lack of space to maneuver a heavy boat that primarily likes to travel in straight lines all while being pushed down wind at 2-3 knots.

FWIW Fuji 32 displaces 13k lbs. which is still light enough to move by hand. My dad owns one. We can readily do things like turn it around without starting the engine. You can hook a cleat and pull it into the slip etc. The Baba 35 displaces 21k lbs and at that rate it’s probably on the very limit of what I can maneuver by hand and really pulling out of the slip is no longer “push it out and jump on” but rather under the power of the engine. We have 2 kids and make it work for us. So there are 4 aboard and sometimes a couple of guests for dinner.
Old 16-06-2023, 13:37   #24

Yes "Orin" your absolutely right with a heavyer boat, and no I am not totally against even a 28ft or something, its just I will be retiring permanently OUT on the water and do not plan to be in a marina much at all, I expect to go back and forth to the boat to get to shore, after all I got nothing but time Ha ha. and was thinking to go ahead now and set up as large as is respectable for single handing, (which is limited to about a 40 footer) for possible long voyages in the future. if I really want to come in and stay, my buddy in Destin fl can accommodate up to a 100 ft boat at his private dock, also have a friend in Port ST joe that has a private dock for up to 80ft. any other time I will just have to come in on the dingy. if I had to come into a marina somewhere and the wind was not on my side I could just sit "out" and wait till the wind predicted better and come in the next day or something. Or, is that just not feasible you think??
Old 16-06-2023, 13:39   #25

Also (ha ha) you can just "get good" at motoring into the dock??? and am I wrong? there are sometimes "dock hands" that will help you pull up if in the marina??
Old 16-06-2023, 13:49   #26

In MY mind the goal target is under 40ft and over 32ft, but then that's why I am here now researching other more experienced opinions...
Old 16-06-2023, 14:35   #27

Boat: Ta Shing - Baba 35

I would put a couple of caveats on the 40 foot single hand deal. People throw out figures in terms of length but I’ve found that keel shape and displacement impact that figure quite a lot.

You can get good to an extent, but there are things that really limit things.

My advice too on the being out on anchor. Watch the weather. Make it a daily or even twice daily habit to check the weather. Never forget.

Nearly lost our boat because I had death in the family and we were focused on that and a storm whipped up ‘out of nowhere’ and we weren’t anchored well for it. I have an oversized spade anchor. Very good setup but the holding wasn’t great there and we were on the windward side of the island. We could have gone in a day earlier. We could have moved the boat 10 miles to dodge the unusual wind direction from that particular storm. We didn’t. I managed to save the boat instead of getting to the funeral but it was a close thing. So in terms of feasibility, I mean yes. With wise decisions and steadfast vigilance where it’s required. There are folks around here that do just as you’re talking about.

I lived on a C&C 30 for a while. Basically it needed a larger head, better heat and more storage to be comfortable for one. When my would be wife came aboard it became too little space. I think even on a 32 footer it would have been infinitely better.

Also feel free to message me directly.
Old 16-06-2023, 19:18   #28

Boat: 1966 Spencer 42'

Quote:

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/198...-1330-8820705/

Here you go.
Old 23-06-2023, 08:08   #29

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome to CruisersForum!

I would suggest updating your profile with your general location and your boat make & model or “Looking” in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

I would happily help more if the link above is not enough.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2023, 08:15   #30

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46.1 (2019)

Please check a few facts before assuming your freinds dock in Destin will work. Power boaters often ignore things like water depth for a keel, and bridge height to get under. These are big issues for 40+ foot SAIL boats, but might be ok for you. Find out what the depth is at the dock, and what the bridge clearances are between there and the ocean before you make firm plans. Best to check the whole path to and from the Gulf.

I am expecting to get a bigger boat and gave up on Destin because there are so few places to go or dock. If your height clearance exceeds 62' there are very few places you can go. And I could not find an active sailing type club that does races and cruise-outs for sail boats.
MarkI is offline   Reply With Quote