Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2008, 16:34   #1

Boat: cal cruising 46
Need pros and cons of Cal Cruising 46

hi my name is edwin
I have looked at boats for years and have decided a pilot house is the right one for me. I have looked at pan oceanic 46 by ted brewer, cabo rico PH, and the pacific seacraft, shannon and nauticat PH's. recently I have come across a cal cruising 46 by lapworth/jesen.

the large interior is very appealing to me (its like an RV), its a bit old, 1968. does anyone out there have any experience with these boats?
how they handle, their plus and minus (there is no cockpit to speak of)
and that boom can become a lethal weapon.

please provide me wtih insight and advantages and disadvantages of such innovative design, do people get wet in the outside steering being so close up front?
edwmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:51   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Edwin,
I have experience sailing the Cal 2-46. Is that close in design to the one you are asking about? There is a Cal 3-46 owner who contributes quite a bit to the forum.
Welcome aboard!
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:59   #3

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
Yea the CC46 is a bit different, actually it's quite a bit different as far as cockpit, layout although the 2-46 and 3-46 are the same hull design. So I guess about all I can comment on with any personal experience (that would apply to you) would be hull related. The sailing characteristics should be very similar although the weight balance is somewhat different due to the cc 46 having the engine aft, and the 2-46 and 3-46 engine rooms were midship.

I'm guessing since Jack Jensen the builder, took hull number 3 of the cc 46 and retired on it (sailed more then 110,000 miles on it) it's definitely a comfortable layout. The Cal 46 is based off of the Cal 40, there were approx 15 cc-46's 95 2-46's and as near as I can figure 12 to 25 3-46's. The build quality of the Cal's is pretty well documented, i don't have a single complaint there and the boats sail very well, i've never been un-impressed with her sailing and heavy weather handling.

Like I say as far as sailing and handling I don't have a single complaint, any of the little things I would say "make sure this doesn't bother you, or you might want to change this like I did" wouldn't apply to cc-46 so I won't waste the effort. My wife and I both love Roshambo to death and we've lived aboard for close to two years and haven't once regretted it, or wished/wanted for anything else.
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 13:05   #4

cal cruising 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha Edwin,
I have experience sailing the Cal 2-46. Is that close in design to the one you are asking about? There is a Cal 3-46 owner who contributes quite a bit to the forum.
Welcome aboard!
Kind regards,
JohnL

hi skip John,

the cal 2-46 is similar in that the hull is identical. the 2-46 has the more traditional sailboat look, aft cockpit and helm etc. mine has the perkin 4-236 just feets from the transom with the helm just to port of mast step. the interior is more like a condo, and it has indoor steering with full instrumentation (true meaning of pilothouse)

it is however a 1968 built, with extensive upgrades. how does your cal2-46 boat handle? would appreciate info on its character and handling characteristics. the CC46 and Cal 1-46 are very similar with exception of engine placement and interior layout.

thank you skip John

edwin.......los angeles
Old 08-07-2008, 11:55   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Edwin,
I think Latitude 9.5 can help you more with their experience in sailing conditions. When I sailed as crew the skipper would not turn off the engine so even after 3 times sailing more than 24 hours each time I never got a feel for how she would just plain sail. We got to experiment a bit with tacking in some light airs off Kona and it took some coaxing to get here to come about with a big genoa. Some conditions were pretty bouncy (Alenuihaha Channel and around South Point) and she handled it well with a good motion. This is just thought but I think your boat will act more like a motor sailer in lighter airs but will sail well in 10 knot plus winds. The boat I sailed on was a ketch with the mizzen removed but it did sail pretty well as a sloop.
Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 13:17   #6

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
My boat was delivered a ketch, later converted to a sloop, however the mainsail sizes between the ketch and sloop were considerably different so the po had to replace the main boom and main when he converted to a sloop. My main boom extends beyond where the mizzen mast was, to give you some idea.

The Cal 46 isn't really a motorsailer by definition, it has enough sail area to actually sail, but as SkiprJohn mentioned a nice blow doesn't hurt We sailed about 90% of the 400+ plus we covered on this last trip to the bahamas in winds from 8 to 20 knots, I don't reef until 30 knots. In an 8 knot reach we did about 5 knots, by no means hauling butt, but is was a comfortable speed. I can haul butt under engine power, can easily do 8 to 10 knots, but the fuel consumption at the higher rpms is a killer, we usually cruise about 1600 rpm which is anywhere from 6 to 8 knots depending on current.

Our previous boat was a c30, I sailed alot on smaller boats and a little on my father in laws 42 foot motorsailer, everytime we take a good trip with our cal I am impressed at her sailing characteristics and have had many people aboard who were also impressed. For their size they aren't beamy 12'6" and that may be part of it, I dunno, I just know she sails quite well and having been in some decent weather i can say we always feel very safe and comfortable.

Sailing magazine had a great article on the Cal 40 some time ago called "The boat the changed everything", I can't remember where I found it, but it's worth a read. At one point in time I had found an Sail Magazine article that reviewed the Cal 2-46 and talked heavily of the sailing qualities, but that was a while ago, there was also a Cal 46 owner's organization in California, I have some paperwork from a PO, but they don't seem to be active any longer.
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 19:03   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal Cruising 46 - SATORI
Re: need pros and cons of cal cruising 46

We have had Jack Jensen's Cal Cruising 46 Hull #3, "SATORI" since 17 March 1982. We lived aboard and cruised from 1988 to 2007. She is at our dock, by our home on Bayou Chico, FL.

I have been partially physically disabled since 2008 and cannot continue my dream. I am on board her daily, maintaining, loving and dreaming, but....

I could write a book about our experiences and love for "SATORI" and will some day.

I have been sailing since 1960, raced many years, Cal 25 National Champ 1972 and more. Cruising was my dream since teen aged years, and I did it.
Cruising was better than I had dreamed because I had the perfect mate and PERFECT BOAT.

I will post more later, if requested or if you are by Pensacola, FL, come visit us, we have a guest cottage about 75' from our boat.

Tom & Bobbie Vandiver
oldcal46skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 08:11   #8

Re: Need pros and cons of Cal Cruising 46

I own a cal 46 , built in 1967 . I am trying to figure out which hull this is . I traced the name and came up with Scorpio , then the Wolverine . I found old blueprints that said FRAM on them . These were built before ID # were stamped in the hull . but Document papers say it was built in 1967 . I took her up to the high Arctic two years ago . She is in Nome Alaska on the hard for the winter . I wouldn't trade Bernard Explorer , a cal 46 , for any boat .
akpacbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 13:25   #9
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by akpacbob View Post
I own a cal 46 , built in 1967 . I am trying to figure out which hull this is . I traced the name and came up with Scorpio , then the Wolverine . I found old blueprints that said FRAM on them . These were built before ID # were stamped in the hull . but Document papers say it was built in 1967 . I took her up to the high Arctic two years ago . She is in Nome Alaska on the hard for the winter . I wouldn't trade Bernard Explorer , a cal 46 , for any boat .
My Cal Cruising 46 was launched November 1967 and is Hull #3. She was built by and for Jack Jensen, owner of Cal Boats. I think I remember FRAM from Alamitos Bay, Long Beach, CA from the early 70's. I "think" FRAM may be Hull #1.

According to others, there were 18 Cal Cruising 46's built. I know the owner of Hull #15, which is in Seattle.

We have had many wonderful sails. like Panama Canal to Mobile, AL, broad reaching all the way for six days. I only had to motor when in the lee of Cuba. We have had several trips back from the Caribbean sailing , dead downwind, wing and wing, from Puerto Rico to Key West. We raced the Newport Beach to Ensenada race several years often placing high in class.

It has been great having 400 gallons of diesel fuel on board. Before we left Puerta La Cruz, Venezuela in 1994, we filled our tanks for $0.12 USD per gallon. That was before Chavez ruined the country.

BTW, my boat goes for sale in 2017 as age and health challenges preclude any more cruising. Starting Monday, Jan 2, I will be completing my cosmetic upgrades. I will be replacing most of the electronics or reduce the price accordingly.

Tom Vandiver, swallowed the hook in Bayou Chico, FL
Old 29-12-2016, 14:42   #10

Thank you for your response ,like I say no # was stamped on the hull ,so I might never know for sure . Regardless I have spent my life on the water , sailed and owned a lot of boats , my career is coming to and end , couldnt think of a better boat to end it with . And if anyone is interested about the rudder design , I motored/sailed the high Arctic with mine , no problem .
akpacbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 10:09   #11
Marine Service Provider

Anyone interested in my Cal Cruising 46, Hull #3 that I have loved since 1982. Due to health challenges, I must sell. PM for details Located on Bayou Chico, Pensacola, FL
Old 15-07-2018, 13:44   #12

That’s a rare find
A true blue water boat with a true pilothouse (indoor steering)
That’s built like a battleship

I know I have hull 5

Edwin
S/v Lahlia
Marina Del Rey CA
Old 31-08-2020, 21:11   #13

Grab handles in cal cruising 46

Has anyone ever installed a ceiling grab handle in the curing saloon?

I’d like to install one next to the hatch

If anyone has a blue print so I know where the studs are

Also I have no water level indicator for the two water tanks below the floor boards

What have owners done?
Old 12-01-2021, 13:12   #14

Great to see comments from AKBob on this thread about the CAL46 we purchased from his family in 2019. The boat is presently on the beach in Nome, Alaska. We plan to sail her from there to SE AK this next spring 2021.
DavidBergPSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 13:18   #15

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBergPSG View Post
Great to see comments from AKBob on this thread about the CAL46 we purchased from his family in 2019. The boat is presently on the beach in Nome, Alaska. We plan to sail her from there to SE AK this next spring 2021.
Welcome aboard! I know there is at least one other Cal 46 owner here too.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, cal 46, cruising