Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2019, 21:13   #1

Boat: Westwind 38, 1985
Meet Roy and Gail Wanting to Cruise Retired

My wife and I just retired. We sailed our Yankee 30 MKIII all over Puget Sound and North. We love the Gulf Islands. We are thinking of getting a little larger boat for the journey beyond our comfort zone. We love how our boat sails. It is very comfortable in the rough water and high winds of the Straits of Juan De Fuca. We are ready to take the adventure to more blue water. Any advice would be helpful. We are looking at Pacific Seacraft 37, Islander 36, and Jason 35. If anyone has advice we are listening. Of course, we do have a budget that we are still working on while going through the transitions of retirement.
Still learning,
Roy and Gail
Kent WA
Rconwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 04:21   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Meet Roy and Gail Wanting to Cruise Retired

Greetings and belated welcome aboard the CF, Roy & Gail.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 17:47   #3

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

Roy and Gail

Welcome aboard and we may have some ideas that will help you with your questions.

First of all, you are sailing in some very beautiful country up there.

Long ago, 1964 to 1966, I was home based at Whidbey Island , Naval Air Station. We had 6 month deployments across the pond, and 6 months back at Whidbey Island.

As to the two boats that you mentioned. I am familiar with the Pacific Seacraft vessels. Orion 27's , Crealock 34's and Crealock 37's. In fact, my lady of 35 years owned a 1982 Crealock 37 , cutter rigged.

Very high quality vessels, super well built, nice lines, sailed great, and when I first saw my first crealock, it was Erica's, and she had it on lease back with the sailing club where I was employed for about 25 yrs. Back to my first comment upon seeing the Crealock 37, " There is a boat that will take care of you ! "

I was able to sail many, many different manufactures of sailing and motor vessels over a couple of decades or sok. Actually we had several Crealocks, and Pacific Sea Craft was then here in Orange County and I toured the factory and new the employees.

Of course , in regard to any used vessel, it is very important that the owner of the vessel, took good care of it, and not neglect the boat. And that you do your own, several hour inspection as well as the survey, and on board several hour sea trial .

Upon seeing, Erica's vessel , Phalarope for the fist time, I could see the high quality of workman ship.

Also sailed our other crealock 37 and both of the crealock 34's that were yawl rigged cutters. Plus, the comfy, Orion 27's. All well found vessels.

Our boats in the sailing club, ranged from 25 , on up to 55 footers of all different types.

I was only on board an Islander one time, for drinks and sea stories on a mooring in Catalina, and I liked it from just that one few hours.

I would imagine with your vessel you stopped in Oak Harbor and Annecortes, and sailed under the Whidbey Island bridge.

My other experiences there in the PNW, along with sailing, I was also a commercial pilot ( flight instructor, charter pilot, and corporate pilot, and the last 17 yrs before I retired , was an instuctor pilot with Air Combat U.S.A, flying customers in 5 and 6 G dog fights. Out of Boeing Field.

Just a couple of things in common.

Welcome aboard, you will likely received many more helpful posts.

Oh, be sure and check the stowage capabilities for the Crealock 37, depending on how long of passages that you are planning.

Enjoy your sailing adventures, and live that dream.

Denny and Erica
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 18:37   #4

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

You've got a great little boat there. Love the Yankee 30. Owned a Tartan30C for about 10 years, another S&S design, and it was a heck of a boat and a great upwind machine. Also located in Puget Sound, so I'm familiar with the Gulfs. Great cruising grounds. As far as your choices, the Pacific Seacraft would be a good choice, well built, pretty, sail well. I'd stay away from an Islander 36. They're pretty, but not a blue water boat in my opinion. Know of one that attempted to sail from Hawaii to the mainland, and they turned around when the bulkheads started pulling away from the hull. Not familiar with a Jason 35. Just my 2 cents.
Souzag818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 19:43   #5

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Yankee38/Catalina38 Probably a little too big.

Alajuela 33
Cal 36
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 20:14   #6

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser

I see a 1986 Seacraft 35" 10'' at $89,000 in Port Townsend.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise