Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2023, 10:21   #1

Looking for the right path to embark on buying liveaboard

Hello all. Newbie here.
Hoping you guys can help me on my path since many of you have a lot of experience. If given the opportunity to do it again under my circumstances what would you do?

I'm a 45year old that has worked in the diving industry along with photo/video for the past 15 years. Totally nomadic at this point so locations are not an issue. Been working on boats (motored) for a long time so knowing if I can handle the life isn't an issue.

Question. If I want to spend the next 4-6 months focused on learning sailing/crewing with the hopes of having enough knowledge to buy a boat around Nov/Dec what path would you suggest? What would you do in my situation? Assuming I can afford any of these options.

1. Get an apartment/buy investment condo somewhere I can sail often with local club e.g. Florida, SaCal (suggestions please) then eventually purchase a boat and rent out my unit. Set sail...

2. Find a fast track RYA day skipper course and crew anywhere for a few months. Then buy boat once I have more knowledge on what to expect and what I need.

3. Throw fate to the wind and buy a sub 10-20k boat somewhere with a slip and learn/live on the boat? Try learn to fix all of the issues myself as practice (not investing a lot)

Any info or advice is appreciated. I am location independent and ready to start my journey ASAP... .Thank you

-----

Instagram.com/adlephoto
AdLeSails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 10:33   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Looking for the right path to embark on buying liveaboard

Perhaps a modified option to no 2. Can you afford to take 4 months off work and travel?

Whilst a sailing school in the sunshine is tempting, you will learn a lot more learning to sail in more variable conditions:

https://uksa.org/course/professional...l-yachtmaster/
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 10:40   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Perhaps a modified option to no 2. Can you afford to take 4 months off work and travel?

Whilst a sailing school in the sunshine is tempting, you will learn a lot more learning to sail in more variable conditions:

https://uksa.org/course/professional...l-yachtmaster/
Thanks!
Looks like a great option but not sure if I'm cut out for sailing in the UK winter
I don't think I need professional certification as the end goal is to own my own boat, although I'm sure the training is amazing
Old 07-07-2023, 11:06   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Well, that piece of paper may get you a reduced insurance premium, but more important is the experience. Don't worry about the cold, we dive in dry suits during the winter Actually your Gulf Stream give us a cool windy temperate maritime climate, perfect for getting on and doing and learning stuff rather than melting in the heat of Florida.

Even if you do just day skipper, I would choose somewhere you are not familiar with to push yourself rather than floating around some mill pond in the sun.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 11:23   #5

Boat: 1980 Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster

Vote for your option 3 for several reasons. Sailing skills have little do with living aboard. No substitute for doing as the owner as opposed to crew, and being accountable for day to problem solving and decision making. And lastly, depending on where you decide to go, live aboard marinas are few and far between. In fact, when seeking a slip, better not to ask for live aboard slip. Get the slip before you buy the boat.

Another option to living aboard at a fixed location is full time cruising. Now the additional dimensions of tankage for fuel and water, as well as electrical power, ie batteries and charging at anchor come into play. Again learned skills that a sailing course or crewing does not introduce you to. That of course unless you put into a marina every night,the cost of which may be prohibitive.
cr180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 11:27   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Well, that piece of paper may get you a reduced insurance premium, but more important is the experience. Don't worry about the cold, we dive in dry suits during the winter Actually your Gulf Stream give us a cool windy temperate maritime climate, perfect for getting on and doing and learning stuff rather than melting in the heat of Florida.

Even if you do just day skipper, I would choose somewhere you are not familiar with to push yourself rather than floating around some mill pond in the sun.
Totally agree about the experience in a different environment, especially for someone with an interest in sailing around the world.

As far as diving, I just got fitted for a DUI. I've actually never dived in anything but tropical waters (caribbean, SE Asia, Aus) I am very spoiled.
Old 07-07-2023, 11:30   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr180 View Post
Vote for your option 3 for several reasons. Sailing skills have little do with living aboard. No substitute for doing as the owner as opposed to crew, and being accountable for day to problem solving and decision making. And lastly, depending on where you decide to go, live aboard marinas are few and far between. In fact, when seeking a slip, better not to ask for live aboard slip. Get the slip before you buy the boat.

Another option to living aboard at a fixed location is full time cruising. Now the additional dimensions of tankage for fuel and water, as well as electrical power, ie batteries and charging at anchor come into play. Again learned skills that a sailing course or crewing does not introduce you to. That of course unless you put into a marina every night,the cost of which may be prohibitive.
Full time cruising would be the ultimate goal. No aspirations of staying in marinas. I think mooring/anchoring are the things I need to learn most as far as sailing go.

How difficult is it to go right into living on anchor/mooring from 0 experience?
Old 07-07-2023, 11:39   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdLePHOTO View Post
Full time cruising would be the ultimate goal. No aspirations of staying in marinas. I think mooring/anchoring are the things I need to learn most as far as sailing go.

How difficult is it to go right into living on anchor/mooring from 0 experience?
It’s all about weather, fresh water, and power. And anchoring skills. Not rocket science, but way different than living on land.

Consider charting a smaller monohull sailboat for about three weeks. And anchor out the entire time, moving from place to place and moving with the weather. Take a look at the Abacos (Marsh Harbour or Elbow Cay) in the Northern Bahamas.
Old 07-07-2023, 11:51   #9

Quote:
It’s all about weather, fresh water, and power. And anchoring skills. Not rocket science, but way different than living on land.

Consider charting a smaller monohull sailboat for about three weeks. And anchor out the entire time, moving from place to place and moving with the weather. Take a look at the Abacos (Marsh Harbour or Elbow Cay) in the Northern Bahamas.
Sorry, just took a look, the charter companies have almost exclusively gone to large catamarans. Still think chartering good idea, but not sure where. I’ll take another look.
Old 07-07-2023, 11:54   #10

Quote:
Sorry, just took a look, the charter companies have almost exclusively gone to large catamarans. Still think chartering good idea, but not sure where. I’ll take another look.
Thanks, doesn't that bring me back to my original post since I don't think I can charter without the proper certifications anyways.
Old 07-07-2023, 12:09   #11

Quote:
No luck in finding smaller monohulls to charter. There are a few in the mid 30s size range in the BVI (Cruzan), but may cost more than your option 3 boat.

Then back to your question on how hard to learn cruising skills. Not difficult, and best learned by doing.
Old 07-07-2023, 12:11   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdLePHOTO View Post
Thanks, doesn't that bring me back to my original post since I don't think I can charter without the proper certifications anyways.
Yes. And another reason for option 3.
Old 07-07-2023, 12:29   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Looking for the right path to embark on buying liveaboard

Don't fancy sailing in a UK winter. try an RYA course on the Algarve (Portugal) or Gibraltar instead.
Reasonable temps and tidal experience which counts for a lot..

https://www.rusailing.com/

https://trafalgarsailing.co.uk/

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 12:57   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Don't fancy sailing in a UK winter. try an RYA course on the Algarve (Portugal) or Gibraltar instead.
Reasonable temps and tidal experience which counts for a lot..

https://www.rusailing.com/

https://trafalgarsailing.co.uk/
Thank you. Researching them now
Old 08-07-2023, 06:31   #15

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

I would vote for buying a Catalina 30 in Florida - EXCEPT that it's not the best time of year right now. If you can wait till hurricane season is over it's a great way to start.

A Catalina 30 in good condition is a 20K boat all day long. It's got plenty of room for 1 or 2 people, sails great, and is easy to find and easy to sell if/when you want to. Even better buy one up north - or anywhere along the east coast - and work your way down to Florida. You will learn so much along the way. Maybe stay in a marina where you buy it for a couple weeks to start if needed. But by the time you get down to Florida you can either sell it and buy something you like better, or take it over to the Bahamas for some serious cruising/liveaboard fun.

You'll learn everything you need along the way. Did I say that already ? But it's true and it will be fun and exhilarating. Ask questions here and watch YouTube vids. You're comfortable on and in the water, you've been on boats, all you need is to learn the sailing/anchoring stuff and on ICW it's not that hard to do.

You got this.

Tags
buying, liveaboard