Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 14:13   #16

Boat: csy 37
Re: Leaving the Rat Race at 23 :)

there are a number of monohulls that are not exactly beachable but can anchor in pretty shallow water. you can of course get close to shore at high tide and then be dry when the tide goes out - but then you'll have to wait for the next incoming tide to get free.

many boats in your size range have centerboards which give them decent sailing qualities but still allow them to get into shallow water. and remember, when you're in shallow water you can just step over the side and wade ashore....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 15:07   #17

The thing about the rat race is that even if you run so fast that you win, you are still a rat.
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 15:13   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortuga22
im still looking for a boat - but we'll get to that later. i have a few questions. first, is there anyone out there living on a 22 foot boat and completely content with it? and how is life? im a backpacker kinda guy and really all i need is a place to sleep, a boat that i can beach and a surfboard

international travel, what all do i need to leave the port of savannah georgia and go to mexico, has anyone ever went through the panama canal?

do i need a radio?

what are requirements for international travel, what would go faster, a 22ft catamaran, or a 22 foot monohull?

sorry for all the questions. i just need to know
This is somewhat of a trick question. The first is "Can it be done?". The answer to that is a resounding hell yes! I lived on an 18 foot sailing decked canoe for a month while circumnavigating the state of Florida. It is possible to live aboard a small boat and sleep ever 2-3 nights on shore. The reason I am in this forum is that at 56, I want to start sailing a boat with nicer "accommodations." Please note that traveling the way I did is not exactly according to Hoyle, but it can be done. One could leave Savannah and make Mexico, but I would not do the Fla-Mexico in one hop.

The second question is "Do you have the skill set to pull it off?". That is something only you could answer. Based on your post, it is a tad doubtful. Sailing along the coast in the Gulf of Mexico is relatively easy, the gulf does not show her ugly side too often. Sailing south from Ga to Key Largo in the Atlantic is against the Gulf Stream, so you would probably be better served staying in the ICM.

The other factor is that you will be in a 22 foot boat! As someone who is somewhat of an engineer, do the physics. A 30 footer in six foot seas will not be as drastically impacted as a 22 footer.

My suggestion is to either buy a decent car and drive, or hop a flight to the waves in Mexico. If you really have the sailing thing, spend a lot of time learning the sport and developing the skills to sail in nice weather, then move up to sailing in slop.

If there are doubts about my background in this, PM me and I will gladly share them.

Bill
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 15:40   #19

Quote:
1. where are you located
-

very close to Augusta GA, i can navigate the savannah river from here with a hefty draft im sure i've talked to people who have done it with 50' yachts

Quote:
2. one can not forage for berries in the middle of the ocean. a fridge is important and, more importantly, water is essential
water i plan to have, a fridge i can deal without - done it before

Quote:
are you thinking about a floating condo (slip) or mooring or continuous movement?
continuous movement, shore hopping per say probly find me a nice cove with good waves where i wont get bothered and camp out there in a hammock
has anyone ever seen a hammock on a boat?

Quote:
The thing about the rat race is that even if you run so fast that you win, you are still a rat.
dont wanna be a rat lol

Quote:
except that night in Katmandu. I might not do that again...
lol what happened in katmandu? lol

Quote:
The other factor is that you will be in a 22 foot boat! As someone who is somewhat of an engineer, do the physics. A 30 footer in six foot seas will not be as drastically impacted as a 22 footer.
bill - this is one of my biggest concerns my other concern is that i have never been far enough away from shore that i couldnt see the shore. i wonder if i would get home sick
tortuga22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 16:40   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Leaving the Rat Race at 23 :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortuga22 View Post
bill - this is one of my biggest concerns my other concern is that i have never been far enough away from shore that i couldnt see the shore. i wonder if i would get home sick
ROTFLMBO..... so much for the Traveller....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 18:29   #21

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

WOW, a 20' boat??? Heck that is like calling a sleeping bag your home. Yes, you did get encouraging words from fellow forum posters. But of course it all depends where you want to sail. A nice quite lake could be fine.

You need to put more thought and planning into any endeavor of this magnitude. Yeah, I know, I am dumping on you but for your own good.

Guys have sailed across the ocean in boats as small as 8-9'. But they do not live on them, and the boats were well constructed for the tasks at hand. About 25 years ago a young wife from New Bedford became grieving widow when her husband tried to sail to England in an 8-9" boat.

Personally I would like to see rescue agencies charge a stiff fee for being called to rescue those who attempt foolish journeys.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 03:17   #22

i happen to be an optimist sorry to see you are not and i havent gotten the boat yet... so it might be a little bigger. but we will see
tortuga22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 13:12   #23

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here. I lived aboard a Catalina 22 for a short period of time so you can do it. I didn't do any trans ocean but did some fancy sailing on the leeward side of Oahu.
Leaving the sight of land for the first time is a bit intimidating when the dark of night and open ocean swells lift and drop you but if you trust your compass and GPS you'll get over the feeling in the pit of your stomach.
Opening a computer is ok but repairing a boat while at sea is a bit more complicated when your life may depend on it.
Good luck in your pursuit. Gaining experience in anything is only done by actually going out and doing it. Experiencing sailing safely and gaining knowledge about it is best done first with a basic sailing course.
Good luck. I recommend the book "Start Sailing Right!"
kind regards,
Old 20-10-2011, 13:34   #24

Re: Leaving the Rat Race at 23

Dude! Sounds like you are on the right track, you are asking questions! Get this book, it will give you an idea of what's out there! READ, after you are done - READ some more! There is alot of info out there, if you can think of it - someone has done it...

http://www.amazon.com/Twenty-Small-S...9142739&sr=8-1

Tags
race