Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2011, 14:02   #1

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Fastnet Race

The first three Tri's have finished at Plymouth, nearest Mono has capsized approaching the Fastnet Rock, all 21 crew rescued.
There are some Dazcat's doing very well among the 60 class mono's.
Boat speeds for the ultra tri's have been consistently over 20kts, just a day and a half for the race distance of some 600 miles!
Try searching for 'Rolex Fastnet Race 2011'. If your speeds are OK there are good race position graphics but there are some 350 boats this year.
I did spot on the graphic one of the ultra tri's in Yarmouth harbour (NE corner of the Isle of White).
Great site, some good sailing and prep stuff by some of the teams.
Old 15-08-2011, 23:15   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Wink Re: Fastnet Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
The first three Tri's have finished at Plymouth, nearest Mono has capsized approaching the Fastnet Rock, all 21 crew rescued.
There are some Dazcat's doing very well among the 60 class mono's.
Boat speeds for the ultra tri's have been consistently over 20kts, just a day and a half for the race distance of some 600 miles!
Try searching for 'Rolex Fastnet Race 2011'. If your speeds are OK there are good race position graphics but there are some 350 boats this year.
I did spot on the graphic one of the ultra tri's in Yarmouth harbour (NE corner of the Isle of White).
Great site, some good sailing and prep stuff by some of the teams.
I thought it was only multis that capsized, have all those experts been leading me astray?
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 00:17   #3

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC
Re: Fastnet Race

Quote from a news article:

Michael Van Beuren (44) from Portsmouth, New Zealand said the boat capsized within 30 seconds.“We were going upwind in heavy seas when the keel fin fractured, the seas were quite big. It is such a relief that we all made it ashore.”

Rambler 100 drops keel and bulb in Rolex Fastnet Race - more pictures
'Rambler upside down. Keel stub clearly visible. And full dagger board visible too.' RNLI Click Here to view large photo
Photo of the upturned Rambler 100, distinctly missing her (carbon?) keel, and bulb.

Seems that there are few incorrect statements wandering around, along the lines of 'Rambler loses bulb'. Look carefully at these pictures - that's not the keel you can see - that's a dagger board. The remains of the keel is partly obscured by the lifeboat skipper's right shoulder.

You can see the stub of the keel, and the torpedo shaped profile that houses the joint of the swing keel.

Rambler didn't lose just her bulb - the whole lot snapped off, keel and all...

Rambler upside down (detail). Keel stub clearly visible. - RNLI Click Here to view large photo

Maybe we should start a category for lightweight racing boats, so monos don't get a bad name. This is a lightweight engineering issue.

Greg
Sabbatical II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 00:27   #4

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

Picture of the yacht in happier times.
Greg

Transatlantic Race 2011: Sailing yacht Rambler 100 wins LINE HONORS

July 10, 2011
Sailing yacht Rambler 100, skippered by George David (Hartford, Conn.) crossed the finish line of the Transatlantic Race 2011 on Sunday 10th July at 16h 08m UTC. The elapsed time for Rambler 100 was 6d 22h 08m 2s. It has established a new record for the 2,975 nautical mile course from Newport, RI to Lizard Point, South Cornwall, UK, which is to be ratified by the World Sailing Speed Record Council.

Rambler 100 team celebrating at the Lizard Point finish in South Cornwall, U.K. (photo credit TR2011 Mark Lloyd)

Rambler 100′s George David Reflects on Transatlantic Crossing

Rambler 100 skipper George David (Hartford, Conn.) spoke of his satisfaction after taking line honors in the Transatlantic Race 2011, just minutes after crossing the finish line at The Lizard, Cornwall, U.K.
“It was really nice to see David Aisher from the Royal Yacht Squadron greet us on the line with some Cornish pastries and some champagne and beer. We feel pretty good; it was a remarkably fast time.
Transatlantic Race 2011 Sailing yacht Rambler 100 wins LINE HONORS - Photo by Mark Lloyd

“For the first 80 hours of this race we were ripping along; towards the end we hit a few holes in the wind, but the net speed average was 15.7 knots across the Atlantic, which I think is going to prove a record in its own right–as a speed record for any transatlantic race. We feel pretty good about that.
“Kenny Read is about 100 miles behind us with his PUMA Team. The odds are he is probably going to win the race on corrected time, but we will see what happens over the next 15 hours, which is about the amount of time that we give them. We will keep a look out on the tracker, and we will see when the time expires, but just like politicians, we are not going to concede just yet.
“Flying along at 28 knots is an exhilarating experience but one that concentrates the mind. Rambler is a finely balanced machine and anything can go wrong and there are huge forces opposing each other. If those forces go out of balance, bad things can happen very quickly. But as I say this has been an exhilarating race, where we have been well out of sight of land, completely unsupported and in a high performance machine, which you are taking close to the edge, for a very long time–that is, without doubt, exhilarating.”
Transatlantic Race 2011 - Record holding Rambler 100 (photo credit TR2011Mark Lloyd)

Rambler 100 crossed the finish line of the Transatlantic Race 2011 on Sunday 10th July at 16h 08m UTC.
The elapsed time for Rambler 100 was 6 days, 22 hours, 8 minutes, 2 seconds.
It has established a new record for the 2,975 nautical mile course from Newport, R.I. to Lizard Point, South Cornwall, U.K., which is to be ratified by the World Sailing Speed Record Council.
Sabbatical II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 00:53   #5

From the BBC this morning one female was helicoptered off but is OK. From your pictures this is also an 'extreme boat', like the tri's ahead of it. At least one of those lost it's mast. There were a lot of 'incidents' in the start melee in-spite of staggered starts. These waters are usually pretty busy with general sailing, commercial BIG tankers and Cruise Liners. It's a high publicity spot to start a race but 11 am for the fast boats, and on through the day for lower classes is perhaps a little late in the day. I've seen one boat at least marked on the graphics as 'Collision damage, returning to Hamble' and that was well past the needles. Shouting 'Starboard' isn't always the best avoidance practice though I've no idea what caused this one, it was a racing fleet so I assume it was a racing incident.
Bro watched the later field trying to round Portland Bill against the tide race, many chose to get a good hot meal and wait for the race to ease, wise sailors!
Old 16-08-2011, 01:31   #6
Marine Service Provider

I agree Eleebana - Rambler - like the gun tris etc, is clearly in the F1 category and we should simply accept that when you push the envelope - sometimes it breaks. It is the message I have tried to convey whenever a racing multi goes over, whilst its not good, its no more relevant to my boat than an F1 car having a failure.

I also noted that the Rambler crew were rescued by the support team from the cat Gunboat Phaedo
Old 16-08-2011, 02:02   #7

Boat: Tanzer 7.5 sailboat | Current Designs Solstice GTS kayak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
I thought it was only multis that capsized, have all those experts been leading me astray?
If your multi is wider then a rugby field, you're ok! Also a keel is a pretty vital part of a keelboat!

Those tris sure destroyed the rest of the field though, both in the pure pace and good looking categories.
alan_za is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 05:20   #8

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

They seem to be more comfortable for the crew when they are "tits-up"
Old 16-08-2011, 05:27   #9
Marine Service Provider

Yep - same old same old, why am I not surprised.
Old 16-08-2011, 06:25   #10

I have recently visited Dazcat to look at their boats. Darren and Simon certainly know about fast sailing and well balanced cats. I also viewed the 1150 Drama Queen that is now racing in the Fastnet. Still quite a comfortable boat, but very fast. Hence them winning so many regattas and now doing well in the Fastnet.
rocma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 07:11   #11

http://www.dazcat.co.uk is there UK website. They are a bit of a weekend cruiser than a liveabord but that is a hell of a performance.
Just had a look at their site, some great videos of some strange craft.
Way out of my leaque but those 'Wing' things look like a great way to get wet, the next step beyond sail boarding.
Old 16-08-2011, 07:19   #12

Eleven: yes, the 1150 is for holidays and regatta´s and such like. That´s why they developed the 1195 (the one I looked at and sailed on), which has a higher and larger canopy with full standing height etc. This will do fast ocean crossings and extended holidays.
For a live-aboard Dazcat, you need the just recently launched (saw it half built) 1395, which has the hull space and ocean going length, payload (3,5 tonnes), water (760 l) and diesel (480 l) capacity and is still seriously fast and will run well over 20 knots.
The main thing I like these Dazcats is their comfortable seamotion, as they are very well balances with all the heavy weights centrered.

By the way, Dazcats sail very dry in fact!!

But, this topis is about the Fastnet race...... a race also on my list to sail in future when I have my catamaran!
Old 16-08-2011, 07:26   #13

Sod the topic, fast cats are always interesting.
It's getting the balance between opening windows and turning on A/C, performance and price.
I'm in favour of being safe, that's Prout's slow and safe or Dazcat's avoid the weather.
My definition of cruising is not having a destination!
Broad reaching on a Dazcat may eventually get boring but you should be in sight of the next place worth going to by then.
Good luck to you, CatCruiser. Wish I was there!
Old 16-08-2011, 07:35   #14

Thanks Eleven!

The great thing is that there is a boat for every ones taste and budget out there! You´ll know when you found your boat, as it makes you feel good and happy. And that is what matters in the end.
Old 17-08-2011, 11:52   #15

Boat: Atlantic 42 Catamaran
capsize preparedness

Great work that all hands were safely rescued despite the fog, and some being separated from the boat and in the cold water for hours.

After the capsize in no particular order and unconfirmed:
  1. there were no functioning VHF radios (there was lots of local traffic but no way to communicate with it).
  2. the life rafts were unavailable
  3. swimming down and out of the boat was reportedly very difficult for the crew inside.
  4. there were no flares
  5. the boat's EPRIB signal was not picked up for some time and a PLB triggered the rescue (some of the crew were near the limits of their endurance when rescued).
Tom.
tsmwebb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
race