Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 21:58   #1

Leaving the Rat Race at 23

im still looking for a boat - but we'll get to that later. i have a few questions. first, is there anyone out there living on a 22 foot boat and completely content with it? and how is life? im a backpacker kinda guy and really all i need is a place to sleep, a boat that i can beach and a surfboard

international travel, what all do i need to leave the port of savannah georgia and go to mexico, has anyone ever went through the panama canal?

do i need a radio?

what are requirements for international travel, what would go faster, a 22ft catamaran, or a 22 foot monohull?

sorry for all the questions. i just need to know
tortuga22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:05   #2
web

Boat: Maxi 77
Send a message via ICQ to web
Re: leaving the rat race at 23 :)

How much sailing experience do you have? I'm asking because your plans, err... don't really seem to match up with the level of experience that shines through your questions. I think you're probably better off gaining some experience in various boats, to form a slightly more detailed idea of what your new home should be like than just the number of hulls.
web is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:44   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortuga22 View Post
do i need a radio?
No. And you'll be doing us all a favor by not purchasing a radio when you leave the rat race at 23.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:50   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

as the nike advert says,"just do it"
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:07   #5
web

Boat: Maxi 77
Send a message via ICQ to web
Re: Leaving the Rat Race at 23 :)

Well, so much for a warm welcome to a new cruiser.
web is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:19   #6

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

Well, first of all, HOWDY KID!
You need to go sailing with someone to get some idea what you're doing.
A 22' boat is definately on the small side - not to say it cant be done - I've done it but you're going to be better off with a 30'er as far as livability goes and you can handle it once you know what you're doing.
Dont get in a hurry and buy the 1st thing that comes your way - take your time and do it right the 1st time. Once you get THE boat, you'll be stuck with it for a long time. Dont buy some old junker unless you are good at fixing things up and have a good income.
multi hulls are faster than mono hulls but they are a whole different breed of cat. They are harder to sail to weather, harder to dock, cost more to maintain, harder to find dock space and cost more to purchase in the 1st place.
I would sail on both types, get some experience under your belt and then make your decision based on what you find out for yourself instead of what someone else talks you into.
You need a passport and vessel documents and plenty of money to bail yourself out of any trouble you might get into before even thinking about going to any other country.
There are alot of good old boats out there that will do the trick for not alot of money. I suggest something like an old Islander from the 60's. They're tough, sail well, tried & true and cheap. Dont buy an old woodie unless you are a damn good wood worker. Dont buy steel unless you're a good metal worker. Fiberglass is fairly easy to repair even with limited skills but dont buy one thats covered with blisters. Ferro cement is good if its built right but how can you tell for sure? They are cheap but there is a reason for that. Keep it simple. A cutter rigged yawl is my choice for best over all configuration. I have owned or sailed on them all at one time or another.
Everything is a compromise. Safety and comfort are more important that speed yet you dont want to get an old dog that will only go 3 or 4 knts. The engine doesnt really matter as long as it runs good and you can depend on it. You can and will replace it eventually anyway if you keep the boat long enough.
You need a radio of some kind. Most of us have vhf & cb at least. You need gps or a sextant and you have to know how to use it. You should have an epirb. You should have a raft or at least a good inflatable in case your boat sinks. You need to read as many books on the subject of cruising and sailing as you can. My advice to you is go sailing as a crew member or get a job on a fishing boat before you do anything if you havent already done that. Other than that, have fun and good luck on your adventure because thats what it is - AN ADVENTURE!!
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:27   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Leaving the Rat Race at 23 :)

So... your a young backpacker kinda guy... then this will be perfect for you...
One of these and a fast erect 2man dome tent will be perfect...
they've cicumnavigated, competed in the UK/US Jesters Challenge and draw just 12 inches...
I did it for 18mths in my 30's so for a tough young guy it'll be a breeze...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Art etc 226.gif
Views:	169
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	31576   Click image for larger version

Name:	img045.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	418.6 KB
ID:	31577  

Click image for larger version

Name:	img043.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	31578  

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:38   #8

Sounds like me a couple of years ago....haha And now I own a beautiful International Folkboat. Start reading like you are studying for a test. I plowed through all the Pardee's books, All of Vigor's books,Casey's books and a bunch of others that I can't remember the name of. Start systymaticly reading through all the post on here as a starter as well. One of the best things you can do is go to your local lake or sailing club and start out renting little Lazer's or try and get some time on a 14-16' Hobie . I just bought a Hobie for less then $500 when i was starting out and had a great learning experience on it. What ever you you do I have found that the old timers down at the dock have a 1,000 times more information than just about any other resource. Watch, learn and ask a million questions. Good Luck
dofthesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:15   #9
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Read "Trekka Round the World" by John Guzzwell for inspiration. Trekka was 20'6".
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:44   #10

Boat: csy 37

a friend is living on a 28 foot sailboat, has been for the last five years, and although he would like something bigger his budget is limited. he lives on the hook, not in a marina. another friend lives on a 37 foot sailboat and thinks he would be better off on something smaller. if you just need a place to sleep you could probably do ok with a 22 foot anything, but if you want to go places you might find it a bit limiting, mostly because there's not enough room or carrying capacity for all the 'stuff' you need. i think if you can afford a 22 footer you might try just a little harder to get something bigger. to my mind - and this is just my opinion - a 25 foot morgan comes to mind.

from your post i'm going to assume you're in savannah. you might want to consider doing your first cruise down the intracoastal, with some outside trips weather permitting, to get your feet wet. cumberland island comes to mind as a good stop, as does st. mary's and fernandina beach. when you feel capable consider going to the bahamas for your first foreign port. of course you know about the good surfing along the florida coast - ponce inlet, cocoa, sebastion....

you will need a radio to get bridges to open for you on the intracoastal - most of them are unfamiliar with sound signals - and of course to get weather broadcasts. becoming a sailor you will discover that you live and die by the weather.

requirements for international travel are a passport, ships papers, and money.

in general, a 22 foot catamaran is faster than a 22 foot monohull, and if you were buying a boat to race it might be nicer. but you're buying a boat for cruising, and at least in that size range, multihulls usually have less interior space and less carrying capacity.

finally, don't listen to the nay sayers. my son in law told everyone in our family that we didn't know what we were doing and that we would get lost or worse because we didn't have radar on our 37 foot sailboat. we went to the bahamas anyway, where fog is unknown and nobody sails at night.

but do arm yourself with knowledge and practical experience.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:46   #11

Boat: C&C Newport 41

most tents dont roll, pitch or yaw. sailing experience aside, spending a few nights sleeping on a boat and determining if you can handle it would be my suggestion of a 1st step.

gl.

-steve
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:34   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoduck View Post
Well, first of all, HOWDY KID!
You need to go sailing with someone to get some idea what you're doing.
A 22' boat is definately on the small side - not to say it cant be done - I've done it but you're going to be better off with a 30'er as far as livability goes and you can handle it once you know what you're doing.
Dont get in a hurry and buy the 1st thing that comes your way - take your time and do it right the 1st time. Once you get THE boat, you'll be stuck with it for a long time. Dont buy some old junker unless you are good at fixing things up and have a good income.
multi hulls are faster than mono hulls but they are a whole different breed of cat. They are harder to sail to weather, harder to dock, cost more to maintain, harder to find dock space and cost more to purchase in the 1st place.
I would sail on both types, get some experience under your belt and then make your decision based on what you find out for yourself instead of what someone else talks you into.
You need a passport and vessel documents and plenty of money to bail yourself out of any trouble you might get into before even thinking about going to any other country.
There are alot of good old boats out there that will do the trick for not alot of money. I suggest something like an old Islander from the 60's. They're tough, sail well, tried & true and cheap. Dont buy an old woodie unless you are a damn good wood worker. Dont buy steel unless you're a good metal worker. Fiberglass is fairly easy to repair even with limited skills but dont buy one thats covered with blisters. Ferro cement is good if its built right but how can you tell for sure? They are cheap but there is a reason for that. Keep it simple. A cutter rigged yawl is my choice for best over all configuration. I have owned or sailed on them all at one time or another.
Everything is a compromise. Safety and comfort are more important that speed yet you dont want to get an old dog that will only go 3 or 4 knts. The engine doesnt really matter as long as it runs good and you can depend on it. You can and will replace it eventually anyway if you keep the boat long enough.
You need a radio of some kind. Most of us have vhf & cb at least. You need gps or a sextant and you have to know how to use it. You should have an epirb. You should have a raft or at least a good inflatable in case your boat sinks. You need to read as many books on the subject of cruising and sailing as you can. My advice to you is go sailing as a crew member or get a job on a fishing boat before you do anything if you havent already done that. Other than that, have fun and good luck on your adventure because thats what it is - AN ADVENTURE!!
Good advise here ..what ever you do ..do it ..we only live once,unless your a cat or a Buddist or is that a Hindu or Southern Baptist,or you get the idea...good luck young person..DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 13:00   #13

wow diddnt expect so many responses. my sailing experience - none actually. but im quite the engineer, i diddnt know how to fix a computer the first time i took one apart, but i figured it out. im fluent in most phases of construction, cabinet building, im a mechanic and i have my associates in electrical engineering. i have visited my local sailing club but diddnt accomplish much except learn that sailing is expensive. i do read, alot more than most people i know actually. and i do love to work. i hate being bored. when im stuck away from a beach i get bored. i also love to travel, i spent the summer in hawaii tampa fl and miami. i hated coming home and well im ready to leave again. i have contemplated living on a boat years ago and diddnt do it. now, i am back to wanting to go at it again. only this time.. i think i will. i dont need alot of space my only requirement is my 4" memory foam mattress topper. sleep is about the only thing i cant skimp on. i dont need a fridge, or a living area, i prefer to live outside!!! god made a beautiful world for us to enjoy and explore! i wanna see it. i've already gotten my passport, did that this summer too

i think im going to go with a monohull for reasons of cost, availability, and all of the above mentioned. but what kind of monohull, well it needs to be beach able
tortuga22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 13:07   #14

Boat: C&C Newport 41

1. where are you located
2. one can not forage for berries in the middle of the ocean. a fridge is important and, more importantly, water is essential

are you thinking about a floating condo (slip) or mooring or continuous movement?

dosent change much of your plan, but does impact your buying criteria.
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 13:17   #15

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

Sounds like you have an adventure in mind - go for it. Learn to sail first. I spent my early 30's trekking and climbing. I don't regret any of it.....well, except that night in Katmandu. I might not do that again....
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
race