Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2011, 14:05   #1

Boat: Roberts 27
Hi from Queensland

Hi there,
We are a young couple from the gold coast Australia with two little boys 3 & 1 and are just going through the process of buying our first boat, a Roberts 27.
We are over the moon! Just hoping the survey & sea trial come back all good & then she's ours 
we are fairly green, my husband has very little experience and you wouldn't believe it but I have been so fortunate to have sailed from Malaysia to Thailand and back and then from Trinidad to Fiji during dads circum navigation plus lots of trips up and down the east coast of oz on my dads cat 'Kularoo'.
The problem is I was young and dad didn't have the patience to teach me much about sailing.
I'm hoping I have retained some knowledge of my experience and hoping I picked up more than just being a passenger!
The plan is to start out slow, get boat license, have a few sailing lessons and do small weekend trips for a while then eventually (long term goal) buy a bigger boat and cruise the world.
I want my boys to have this life, I know how good it is and thank goodness my man agrees!
I'm looking forward to reading and gaining knowledge from all you seasoned pro's out there, and hopefully meet others with kids for insight & inspiration.
Hope this post isn't too long!
Thanks, Karla 

*Attitude: the difference between ordeal and adventure. *
karlaleanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 14:34   #2

Re: Hi from Queensland

Welcome! We've seen kularoo a few times around the Whitsundays. Never had the chance to say g'day yet though.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 14:54   #3

G'day karlaleanne, Good to hear from another Q'lander !
How lucky are your kids!!!!!
I live in Cairns and am thinking of cruising and camping the north coast of Aus. I don't know how to sail so it will be diesel for me.
Bill Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 15:44   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Welcome aboard, your plan sounds wonderful; I think you will have a lot of agreement here.

FWIW, I went to school in Southport (a long time ago) and it is great place to kick start this adventure of yours.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 16:55   #5

Thanks CruisingCat! Kularoo is at the Whitsundays at the moment, my dad's name is Bill. Pop over and say Hi if you get the chance. All the best
Old 28-09-2011, 18:08   #6

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Welcome Aboard Cruisers Forum
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 21:51   #7

The problem is I was young and dad didn't have the patience to teach me much about sailing.

sorry i shouldn't say he didn't have the patience, more like i was not that keen on learning at that stage... Sorry Dad
Old 29-09-2011, 07:46   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Welcome aboard, and enjoy the ride!

Cheers,

Jim and Ann
Old 29-09-2011, 10:06   #9

Boat: Catalina 42 Pacific cruise to Australia

Best wishes for some happy times ahead!

Do consider putting netting along your lifelines to keep the littlies safe onboard, thats extra to lifejackets ofcourse!
Jamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 21:44   #10

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you posting on the forum. In the U. S. we have many sailing courses offered and a basic one for you and your husband might be fun for the both of you. You probably have lots of them to choose from there locally too. If you take a course you won't miss out on all the safety aspects and you'll be starting out with the same knowledge although you'll have much more experience.
kind regards,
Old 24-10-2011, 21:53   #11

Boat: No boat yet. Bareboat charters only

Hi and welcome. My partner and I are relatively new sailors (about 2 years) and started out much the same as you have. We kicked off with a "competent crew" training course which are widely available in Oz and have built from there. We found it a lot of fun and have found that you need to focus very strongly on the safety aspects as you are starting out. You will love the life, especially if you have your own boat.

Kind Regards

George
Oz_Avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 23:06   #12

Boat: John Pugh / Currawong 48/OAL

Hi Karlaleanne welcome good to see more Aussies onboard Im at lizard at the moment sure you would love to be here lots of children come on the boats and enjoy the wonderfull Mrs Watsons Bay guess you will be here too in a couple of years
Good luck I am sure lots of things will come back to you once you are on the water!! Cheers Jacko PS make sure you come over when you see me up this way
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
queensland