Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2009, 09:53   #16

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
I've got some friends that outfitted their boat from serendipity. They are the ones that I helped get ready for IKE, ironicly IKE hit my boat and they didn't even get a drop of rain. Anyways, they are now cruising if you like I'll send you thier email via pm and you can ask them about Serendipity and such.
Cheers
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 10:06   #17

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Whispering Star,

My parents are in Palacios.......

Ahhh, I love that town!! I used to live there in the early 70's. Went back recently to as I hadn't seen it since, and the darn place hadn't changed a bit!! One of my last "unscathed" childhood memories.....

Try Bahia Marina in Ingleside On The Bay, he may have a slip or 2 for a smaller boat but i'm not so sure about 40+...

Bahia Marina & Docks Store - Ingleside, TX- Home Page

Fish
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 10:14   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
We pay about $325 a month in CC City Marina, for a 50' slip.

Kemah is just about the best place in the US to be outfitting a boat. EVERYTHING is close by. We were there for a year, before we moved to Corpus Christi.

Here in Corpus Christi, there's West Marine and Bluewater Ships Store. Both smaller versions of the same stores in Kemah. There's also a good engine place in Rockport. But, as you can see, they are about 20 minutes way. You plan your visits there!

I'm guessing you looked at "Wingin' It" , a Tartan 37 that was here in Corpus Christi? If so, you should have pulled the trigger. That boat was a steal - but it really needed a paint job.

There is no such thing as perfect cruising boats. They are ALL compromises. "Shoal draft" and "blue water" tend to be oxymoronic. I'd also look at Hylas. We almost bought one, and have chartered them in the Caribbean.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 12:56   #19

Is there a reason no one recommends Island Moorings in Port A? It seems ideal if people prefer small town feel. I was planning on moving there in the fall. Will I regret it? I heard the previous owners ran it into the ground, but the new owners have brought it back.

I am trying to get into Port A Municipal, but there is a wait.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 14:41   #20

This looks pretty good.... (no relation) 1982 Gannon Yachts Freya 39 Cutter Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 15:14   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
Is there a reason no one recommends Island Moorings in Port A? It seems ideal if people prefer small town feel. I was planning on moving there in the fall. Will I regret it? I heard the previous owners ran it into the ground, but the new owners have brought it back.

I am trying to get into Port A Municipal, but there is a wait.
There are several "problems" with Island Moorings:

If you draw over about 4-1/2 feet, you will have problems getting in and out - especially in the winter. We tried to go over there late last summer, and they told us "we'd love to have you, but you won't be able to get in". MAYBE 5 feet. But, there are also some folks that were silted in for many months, before they could finally get out as a group, with assistance from TowBoat US.

In the late summer and fall, it's buggy. Sometimes VERY buggy.

It's expensive - $469 a month for us.

It's a much longer trip from San Antonio - if you are going to travel that far, get on the list for Port A.
Old 15-06-2009, 16:19   #22

Boat: Vagabond 42
Send a message via AIM to Whispering Star
Lightbulb Bill: 37 Tartan Wingin It

Yep that was it, hind sight is 20/20. plus at that time the house sale fell through. So somethings happen for a reason. Winging It was meant for the current owner. Our ship will come our way too.
Whispering Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 17:16   #23

Ouch. I guess I better bribe my way up the Port A list and stay in Seabrook until then!

Thanks for the warning.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 19:11   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We HAVE to say, having spent quite some time in Kemah, where we have many, many friends: We could NOT be happier in Corpus Christi.

The people are great, the marina is probably one of the best run, on the tightest budget, public marinas around. Some folks complain that they are a bit heavy-handed, but they are only looking out for the tenants. We ENJOY a great relationship with them. The view of downtown at night is just plain awesome. The wind ALWAYS blows, the bay is excellent sailing. There are a few great anchorages just 2-3 hours away. There are 2 yacht clubs - one, one of the most exclusive in the US, for those that want that. The other is a friendly, budget-style place, with home-cooked meals most weekends for $7.50, including beer, wine, soft drinks.

Port A and the gulf is a 3 hour sail. The weather is pretty much perfect. Ok in the summer, outstanding in the spring and fall, and more than tolerable in the winter (same latitude as Tampa).

Best yet: Sign a 1 year lease, and for a 40 foot boat, floating pier, the total, with electricity, is less than $170 a month! (and if you use my name, I'll buy you dinner one night at Water Street - LOL).
Old 15-06-2009, 20:00   #25

James and I have spent many weekends in Corpus, and I believe we went to last years boat show, or maybe the year before. I agree it is a quaint little town. With all the resources that would be needed. I believe I inquired about slip pricing before the new T heads were up. Did I understand correctly that for a 40' boat it would run including electric for a liveaboard would be $170.00 if you signed a 1 year lease?
What are you calling heavy handed. Are you talking about common things like, keep the docks clear, don't litter, ????
Old 15-06-2009, 20:12   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I guess I should have clarified: there's a $75 a month hickey for liveaboards... Go to www.corpuschristimarina.com for rates. Yes, that includes the new slips.

They want to know when you are there, and not, and require you to check in at the marina office and pick up a parking pass, when you are in. They are very particular about the use of power washers and anything else that might impose on your neighbors. Don't leave the gates open, pick up after your pets. No PUBLIC consumption of alcohol (on your boat or on the piers only) - otherwise, put it in a "to-go" cup. No swimming in the marina (but, the water is so clean that you will be wacking the barnacles off your prop every 2 weeks during the summer - and that's OK).

The good thing is that when there's an idiot in the parking lot, an idiot towing a wake in the marina, etc., all it takes is a phone call, and it's taken care of. When the manager of one of the restaurants husband parked out front blocking traffic (and thus being an idiot), they told him to move or be towed. He thought they weren't serious...

Last fall, there was an idiot on a Seadoo running wide open between piers. He left with a much lighter wallet...

The good thing about the parking pass is that they know when folks are supposed to be there, and not. They have thwarted many, many breakins - and RARELY is anything taken. The tenant's building was broken into a few weeks ago, and computers stolen. They had GREAT photos of the culprits!
Old 15-06-2009, 20:23   #27

I enjoy security, and protection from idiots. The options are open for us. But that really sound great. As my husband is a lite sleeper and Kemah traffic played havoc with his sleep.
Old 16-06-2009, 07:26   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

What always drove me nuts about Clear Lake, is the insane overuse of sirens by police, fire, etc. It goes on ALL DAY AND ALL NIGHT.
Old 16-06-2009, 08:11   #29

Boat: Jeanneau, 40DS
Welcome Whispering Star, we used to be at the Boardwalk and concure the noise and traffic can be troublesome. We moved over to Watergate last year, and moved aboard earlier this year and have no complaints. As we are still working in Houston and getting ready to head out later this year the convenience of various supply options and service providers is great.

We haven't checked into the Corpus Marina previously, however will look into their transient facilities for this summer as we plan a few shack downs along the coast.

Good luck with the boat search, there are several for sale by owner around the Watergate docks, may be worth an afternoon stroll, once the heat fades.
Old 17-06-2009, 06:37   #30

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Watergate

Hope you like Watergate, my best friend's dad runs the place. He lives aboard his 37 Irwin. Let me know if you have any trouble, but I don't think you will. Very nice place to live or just hang out.
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
texas