Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2019, 23:26   #1

Greetings from the SF Bay Area

Hi! I'm a new sailor and new boat owner.

I currently live in the SF Bay Area. Several months ago, I visited Florida and after seeing boats there, I thought it might be interesting to look into getting a boat. Initially, I started looking at power boats but my research led me into the weeds of sailboats. After asking around, I found a kind sailor who invited me onto his boat for a beer can race which helped me cement my desire to learn more about sailboats.

I started looking into ASA courses and talked to several local schools. After factoring in costs, time, scheduling, and logistics, I almost walked away from the idea of sailing altogether. I saw some posts in which people were suggesting buying an older boat and learning on it; that was an idea which resonated with me for several reasons.

I started looking for an entry-level boat. I hired a consultant for several hours to teach me how to do preliminary surveying. After that session, it took several months of checking boats before I found one I was interested in buying.

Then came the offer, the sea trial, getting a survey, getting insurance, securing a slip, and more. At more than one point along the way, I started wondering if this was worth the effort.

My daughter and I just finished our first sailing lesson on our boat. We had a great time! The scenery was beautiful! Scenery I'd seen dozens of times from cars took on new dimensions when viewed from the bay. Then my daughter excitedly pointed out several dolphins. Yep... the journey to this point was longer than I expected but worth it!

I've been lurking on this forum for months soaking up knowledge that has been freely shared. This community is amazing! The people in this community are generous in sharing the benefit of their experiences. I've lost track of the threads and contributors I made notes of but a big thank you to all who share experiences, advice, information, and ideas on this site. Thank you all.
SeaHarlequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 23:53   #2

Boat: San Juan 34'
Re: Greetings from the SF Bay Area

Time on the water with your kids, family, and friends is always time we'll spent. Glad you found a boat and are enjoying it
J.stange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 01:00   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Well, welcome to CF and to the world of sailing... it's a good place to be!

I learned to sail in SF bay many years ago, and still believe that it is a superb place for weekend and day sailing. If you can, get involved in some club level racing, for it is a good way to force yourself to extend your limits, and all that experience will stand you in good stead in whatever type of sailing you pursue in the future. For me,it was going out the gate and turning left in 1986... been in the south Pacific eddy ever since, and still enjoying the life at age 81.

So jump in and enjoy... it's a great life!

Jim
Old 07-09-2019, 01:30   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, SeaHarlequin,

I, too, got my start on OPB's in beer can races on SF Bay. And, look, here Jim and I are, many years later, still stuck in the South Pacific eddy!

We never know for sure where our paths are going to take us, and the voyage of discovery is an extremely precious, and sometimes long lasting "event".....in our case, over 35 years.

Enjoy, and fair winds.

Ann
Old 07-09-2019, 03:20   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, SeaHarlequin, & J.stange

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:37   #6

Boat: Freedom 38

Well done! Congrats to you on the process and the great outcome. What boat did you get? Where do you sail? Be careful with the SF racing crowd. I bought a big sailboat almost 7 years ago and just bought another, much smaller one this year. Along with the kayak and dinghy, you could say that's 4 altogether. Many friends have way more than that! They'll start accumulating if you're not super careful because there's just so many different places to go around here at all times (day or night) of the year. And if you think those dolphins (which were probably harbor porpoises) were amazing to see, just wait till that first whale (likely a grey) comes up for a breath right next to you. It has happened twice to me inside the bay; more times outside the gate. Have fun!!!!
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:14   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Welcome aboard!
In 1963 my friend and I were walking across the Golden Gate Bridge while on liberty from a Navy Destroyer. We'd been in the Navy for a few months and were touring SF having docked at Treasure Island. I looked down to see the many sailboats and how they were jockeying back and forth. I told myself that one day I would like to learn how to do that and to be master of my own boat. Now I'm to the point where I can't be on the water anymore but I have so many grand memories of sailing and cruising and wonderful people I've met including the folks here on CF.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:22   #8

Welcome. I, too, sailed on SF Bay from '78 to '16. You chose a great place to buy a sailboat.

A "must have must read":

Kimball Livingston's Sailing The Bay

Enjoy the book and the sailing.

And the warmest two months are now upon you!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:57   #9

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

yep, grew up there too... nothing better than the cool bay spray while fingers of fog stream through the gate and over the hills of Sausalito... big breezes and small waves make for fun sailing! Welcome!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 09:29   #10

Boat: Cheoy Lee, Alden Pilothouse 32

Congratulations. I too am a new boat owner in San Francisco. Unlike your careful and we'll planned process, I negotiated a slip lease purchase, on Thursday, actually paid the guy and took possession on Friday, called the insurance company while sailing it to Pier39 to get their required policy, convinced the harbormaster to accept my scheduling a boat survey rather than actually having one submitted, then pulled into the berth after their office closed, locked up and walked home.

Went down the next day to a lot of "who are you??" Questions, and left with a fob to the security gate and a parking pass.

While I've always liked being a "get'er done" person, Im always incredibly jealous of people who do things right, with care and consideration. I wish I had the control you had. I just know that , by the time I did all that research, I'd have convinced myself that sending all that money on a boat was just irresponsible and abandoned it.

(However, I do have the advantage of a lot of years sailings and working on commercial vessels, so that wasn't too big a worry.)

Once again, congratulations and nice job.
coldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 23:12   #11

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
[snip]..... just wait till that first whale (likely a grey) comes up for a breath right next to you.
Sorry, can't seem to edit this post, but I meant humpback whale, not grey.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 20:17   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
... going out the gate and turning left in 1986... been in the south Pacific eddy ever since, and still enjoying the life at age 81.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
... the voyage of discovery is an extremely precious...
Thank you Jim and Ann! I've especially enjoyed many of your posts -- you're living the dream!
Old 10-09-2019, 20:39   #13

Quote:
Congrats to you on the process and the great outcome. What boat did you get? Where do you sail?
Thank you! I picked up a 29 Ranger and currently sail out of Berkeley.

Quote:
Be careful with the SF racing crowd. I bought a big sailboat almost 7 years ago and just bought another, much smaller one this year. Along with the kayak and dinghy, you could say that's 4 altogether. Many friends have way more than that! They'll start accumulating if you're not super careful ...
Duly noted -- thank you for the warning! I also have a kayak but I suspect this boat will keep me busy for a while!

Quote:
... if you think those dolphins (which were probably harbor porpoises) were amazing to see, just wait till that first whale (likely a grey) comes up for a breath right next to you. It has happened twice to me inside the bay; more times outside the gate. Have fun!!!!
I had no idea whales could be found in the bay. That's definitely something to look forward to. Thanks -- I've made sure there are binoculars onboard and will be watching for marine life!
Old 10-09-2019, 20:42   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
A "must have must read": Kimball Livingston's Sailing The Bay
Thank you! I bought and read that book after seeing it recommended several times on CF. I agree with you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
And the warmest two months are now upon you!
I'm pretty excited about this. I was frustrated with how long the boat search was taking and worried I'd miss peak times. I'm happy to know that the sailing is still good!
Old 10-09-2019, 20:55   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldfish View Post
Unlike your careful and we'll planned process ...
Your story cracked me up. Yeah, sometimes I deal with paralysis by analysis and have to force myself to make a choice to unblock things but I don't think I have the guts to do what you did. I'm glad it worked out for you!

Much of the process was unfamiliar to me. Maybe for my next boat, I'll channel Captain Ron (or should I say coldfish) and make the process MUCH quicker.

Tags
sf bay

« Hello | Landlubber »