Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2015, 11:41   #1

Boat: Moody 419 CC
Greetings from East Coast Yankee newbie -

Hello all. I am fairly new to ocean sailing (2 years). Prior experience was lake sailing until I discovered the advantages and pleasures of ocean sailing. I have a Moody 419 CC, which I fell in love with. Lots of space, sails like a charm,, and meets my criteria to be 2x size of the biggest sharks in the area. <g> .

Learning the ropes- so to speak - sailing off the coast of New England waters along Maine, NH, and MA Cape area. Near future plans for NY and FL, and ultimately the Caribbean. Hope to learn a few things from some of the more seasoned sailors here.

I stumbled onto this site looking for information on storm jibs and am finding that opinions vary. At this time, not doing any long ocean voyages or plans to sail in hurricane winds, however, would like to be prepared if caught out in a storm unexpectedly, At the moment just using rolling furling/reefing sail when needed and do not own a storm jib. Would welcome any feedback.

Saiorse
SAOIRSE419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 02:28   #2

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'
Re: Greetings from East Coast Yankee newbie -

Welcome aboard!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 02:41   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Saiorse.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 20:25   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAOIRSE419 View Post
Hello all. I am fairly new to ocean sailing (2 years). Prior experience was lake sailing until I discovered the advantages and pleasures of ocean sailing. I have a Moody 419 CC, which I fell in love with. Lots of space, sails like a charm,, and meets my criteria to be 2x size of the biggest sharks in the area. <g> .

Learning the ropes- so to speak - sailing off the coast of New England waters along Maine, NH, and MA Cape area. Near future plans for NY and FL, and ultimately the Caribbean. Hope to learn a few things from some of the more seasoned sailors here.

I stumbled onto this site looking for information on storm jibs and am finding that opinions vary. At this time, not doing any long ocean voyages or plans to sail in hurricane winds, however, would like to be prepared if caught out in a storm unexpectedly, At the moment just using rolling furling/reefing sail when needed and do not own a storm jib. Would welcome any feedback.

Saiorse
Howdy and Welcome Aboard the Forum Saiorse!

Since you have your own (big) boat, you are ahead of a lot of the members and visitors here, including me.

You asked about a Storm Jib.

Given the remarks I have read on this forum, it appears most boats do not have a storm jib and if they have one they never use it or rarely use it at all.

But, for a passage-making (ocean crossing) boat, I would have one.

Here are my thoughts for what I would want if the storm hits and it is time to use a storm jib:

1. high cut

2. Orange color would be my preference, but not absolutely necessary

3. Heavy cloth with heavy duty stitching (necessary)

4. Put it on an inner stay (even if that is temporary) rather than on the forestay. Use a secondary halyard too.

5. Secure the primary jib with additional ties that are tight and tied with a good knot that will not come undone in high winds.

Others will have different opinions. As I always say, you can take my comments with a splash of saltwater, but that is what I would do.

Finally, here is my favorite tip to share with newcomers to this forum:

Looking for Quick Answers?

This is the best and fastest method I have found to the answers I seek here.
Since you are relatively new to the forum, here is my favorite friendly forum search tip: Look at the green menu bar on the forum pages for the drop down "Search" menu. Click on that to drop down a list of search functions. From that drop down menu select the GOOGLE CUSTOM search feature (the second box down) and then enter several different descriptive terms for your topic of interest. That will do a Custom google search of ONLY this site and it is likely to find answers to your questions or results for you. Note: this is different from using the regular forum search box or field. Also note, this is NOT found if you use the CF app. It IS found if you use a web browser such as Safari, etc.

Steady
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 23:07   #5

Thank you steady hand for the welcome and the tips. I have just started to get a little more familiar with this site and will "cruise" through the forums to enjoy sail tails and learn as I go.

Just got back from 3 day sailing venture. First time using the anchor off beach. I chose to drive, giving the task of dropping/raising anchor to the first mate. Luckily all fingers/toes still accounted for.

Again thank you for the tip, and happy sailing.

S
Old 06-07-2015, 08:11   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hello again,

Today I came across something that answered a question I had, but did not ask you before. It also reminded me of you (or your boat). So, I am going to post it here. I suppose you already know this, but perhaps others who see this thread will find it interesting (I did).

Reason: I wondered how the name "Saiorse" is pronounced. I have seen it before but have never heard it said in Gaelic.

In fact, I imagined it might have been pronounced like "Sea Horse." (That was my guess. )

Here is what I found, without looking for it (it regards another boat):

"SAIORSE" (pronounced "Say-er-sha") is the Gaelic word for Liberty and is also the name of the first Irish sailboat to circumnavigate the world (1923).*
Old 06-07-2015, 20:07   #7

Well hello again Steady Hand. Thanks for the tidbit on the history of the first Irish sailboat to navigate around the world. I did not know that fact.

The name is actually the irish translation for the word "Freedom". Though Liberty means the same, it is more of a variation of the French translation for freedom which is Liberte'. As with many Gaelic words the pronunciation is not always what it would appear.

Saoirsa would be pronounced = seer-sha
seer - rhymes with CLEAR
sha - rhymes with HUH

: )
Old 07-07-2015, 07:58   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

(Laughing at myself…again!)

Looking back at what I wrote, I can see it might have been taken the wrong way. When I wrote "Sea Horse" it was because I tried to imagine how it would be pronounced with a heavy Gaelic accent (I imagined: "say 'orse").

In no way did I mean to be offensive to anyone named Saoirse.

My own (real) name gets mispronounced and misspelled more frequently than not, so I am always trying to get the names of others "right" and pronounced correctly.

That "Saoirse" really means "Liberty" is nice and something I will remember (and will remember to say "Seer Sha").

Not having Irish roots, I learned something.

Thanks!

Tags
east coast