Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2007, 06:39   #1

Boat: Yankee 26 26 footer
26 foot Yankee. What is it???

Greetings,
I posted in the meet and greet section. But i have a lot of questions about this boat. I got it for damn near free, And im using my impeccable handyman/craft skills to get her looking good again.
Its a 26 foot Yankee as far a the registration/ title shows. I dont see a plate anywhere on the boat with info on it. Its got a BMW Diesel engine, and a wheel for steering along with the rudder handle stowed away. It looks like someone spent a lot of money back in the day. heres a pic prior to any cleaning up thats happening right now. I dont know anything about sailboats,... Had a Waverunner i took out in the blue a lot but never something that requires as much as this. i cant seem to find a manufacturers website (I have to assume they no longer exsist) and the "yankee" name returns a lot of sail-design information. I dont even have a model number to go by. But i have a boat that floats!!! haha. Thanks in advance...
oh yes, the pic...
wallymander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2007, 07:01   #2

This might be a starting point for some research...

Yankee 30 Owners Association
Sailormann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2007, 07:41   #3
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Wally - g'day and welcome to the wonderful world of boat ownership. Also, welcome to the Cruiser's Forum. I WOULD strongly suggest, since you'll be asking a lot of questions, that you fill out some information on your profile (top right of this screen, click on "PROFILE"). This will help those that respond to your questions have a better idea of how to respond, and where they might point you.

Now that you are the proud owner of a 'hole in the water in which you can throw money down' there are a few things that you might know, in general, about sailboats and keeping them. Actually, there have been lots of books writen and this whole forum is dedicated to just that, so you've already taken a good step forward (watch out for those 3 steps BACK!!!).

A couple of questions: Are you planning on becoming a sailor or fixing up the boat to sell? Why did the previous owner 'give away' his boat? How close to the boat do you live?

Good luck!
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2007, 11:08   #4

Thanks,
I am not a stranger to forums though andi should have filled out the profile info and mabye a sig line to describe what i have.Allthough i am not 100% sure what to put in the profile becuse i am still learning what it is. Sorry i am slacking.

He gave me the boat because hes 77 and couldnt handle going out anymore.
He didnt need the money and , well i dont know, he just said he was too old to go out and didnt want to try and sell it.

im about 30 mins from the marina in which it is moored.
Its no problem to run up there after work even to do whatever i need to do.
Leads me to the next point, i have a 15 month old, and i cant take him out on it, and we JUST closed on a house that i am renovating. I simply do not have time for it am really not interested in sailiing, Insurance, slip fees, etc.. Im more of a motorcycle guy. so to answer your question i merely want to sell her. The money likley will go into drywall, cabinets, flooring,etc etc

My main question was if anyone had experience with these or if they are notoriusly bad craft?
wallymander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2007, 17:40   #5

Boat: C&C 27
The Yankee is from the design boards of Sparkman and Stephens which is a well respected firm. Based on what you put in yout first post here are a couple of thoughts. The sailboat market here in our little corner of the pond would put the resale on this boat in the <$10K range so consider how you spend improving the boat. Sail numbers generally do not mean much when selling used sails. The condition will have far more effect on the value. Contact the boaters resale shop on 2094 just east of Joe Lee's and they could give you a ball park on the value.

pv

Now Nortons and Indians and Greeves just won't do,
Nothing has a soul like a Vincent '52.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2007, 18:06   #6

Pura Vida,
Thanks, thats good info. I'll contact that resale shop.
Old 11-09-2008, 21:25   #7

I have an opportunity to purchase a 1974 Yankee 26' in fair to good condtion. Some sm

Hi, I am in the same dimelema youwere in when you posted. I have an opportunity to purchase a 1974 Yankee 26' in fair to good condtion. Some small chips in fiberglass, headliner in cabin damaged from hatch being left open for a winter, but motor replaced with new volvo 18hp deseil engine that runs. He has 3 other sailboats and probably won this in a card game as he knows little about it otherwise. This would be my first sailboat. He is asking $2600. In the water at dock. Seems solid. My gut says this is a rare bird with little info online. Great pedigree.

Comments? where can I find more before I negotiate a final price and purchase it?

Thanks.

- Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallymander View Post
Greetings,
I posted in the meet and greet section. But i have a lot of questions about this boat. I got it for damn near free, And im using my impeccable handyman/craft skills to get her looking good again.
Its a 26 foot Yankee as far a the registration/ title shows. I dont see a plate anywhere on the boat with info on it. Its got a BMW Diesel engine, and a wheel for steering along with the rudder handle stowed away. It looks like someone spent a lot of money back in the day. heres a pic prior to any cleaning up thats happening right now. I dont know anything about sailboats,... Had a Waverunner i took out in the blue a lot but never something that requires as much as this. i cant seem to find a manufacturers website (I have to assume they no longer exsist) and the "yankee" name returns a lot of sail-design information. I dont even have a model number to go by. But i have a boat that floats!!! haha. Thanks in advance...
oh yes, the pic...
bhindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 21:29   #8

1974 YaNkee 26'

I have an opportunity to purchase a 1974 Yankee 26' in fair to good condtion. Some small chips in fiberglass, headliner in cabin damaged from hatch being left open for a winter, but motor replaced with new volvo 18hp deseil engine that runs. He has 3 other sailboats and probably won this in a card game as he knows little about it otherwise. He demonsrated the engine runs and actually took it to dock under power. Sails are stowed by he says they are good. All lines /ropes look rotted, but replacable. This would be my first sailboat. He is asking $2600. In the water at dock. Seems solid. My gut says this is a rare bird with little info online. Great pedigree.

Comments? where can I find more before I negotiate a final price and purchase it?

Thanks for all infor sources. (is this boat haulable w/ folding keel?)

Thanks.

- Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
The Yankee is from the design boards of Sparkman and Stephens which is a well respected firm. Based on what you put in yout first post here are a couple of thoughts. The sailboat market here in our little corner of the pond would put the resale on this boat in the <$10K range so consider how you spend improving the boat. Sail numbers generally do not mean much when selling used sails. The condition will have far more effect on the value. Contact the boaters resale shop on 2094 just east of Joe Lee's and they could give you a ball park on the value.

pv

Now Nortons and Indians and Greeves just won't do,
Nothing has a soul like a Vincent '52.
Old 11-09-2008, 22:14   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Contact Sparkman & Stephens themselves. I did that when I needed a copy of the plans for my boat for USCG certification as a Sub-T boat. The guy I talked to was very nice and very helpful. Try to find an official number onboard or some sort of positive identification as to the builder may have been. Contact the builder if you know who they are as well.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2008, 19:05   #10

74 Yankee 26

I have an opportunity to purchase a 74 Yankee 26 for under $3000 that is currently sitting in water with a repaced late model Volvo 18hp deisel engine that runs. It is not rigged up and the owner who just bought it 3 months ago (auction probably) is flipping it cheap. A plaque says it was a Merchant Marine trainer.

I know old wooden motor boats inside and out. I have never piloted a sailboat but want to have the experience of owning a good single handed sailboat of good design and seaworthyness. Besides, the money is right.

Have you been successful at researching what that boat of yours was, as I am in the same position that you were in, I wonder if you can point me to some information - things like where the "gotcha"s are and what I need to be paying attention to before I put my money down. I know the engine itself is worth the money.

Thanks.

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallymander View Post
Greetings,
oh yes, the pic...
Old 28-10-2008, 21:43   #11

Location: Southern Alabama, about 1.7 hours from the Gulf of Mexico---CLOSE ENOUGH!
Boat: Montgomery 17
Wally, I dont exactly have any information on the Yankee 26, but I do know of a page about Yankee 30 that was restored if strikes your interest.
Old 29-10-2008, 03:33   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Yankee 26 (Sparkman & Stephens 1975)
LOA: 26', LWL: 20.7', Beam: 8.7', Draft: 4.08'
Displacement: 5335#, Ballast: 2150.00#
Sail Area: 299 Sq. Ft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yankee26-1975-Brochure.jpg
Views:	662
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	5671  

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 11:07   #13

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha all,
This would be a great starter boat for new sailors but not at $10K. You are competing to sell in a market which is very weak and not the right season. If you want to resell a shipshape 26 footer and not have it on the market for a very long time start with a price of about 5K and take offers.
A $3K 26 foot boat that sails and has a running inboard is a great price.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote