Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2021, 15:59   #1

Boat: Regal 32 Express
Generator

So I was using a Honda 2000i for years as shore power, never had an issue till pull cord broke. So decided to upgrade to a 2200. Now a problem. Process is: plug converter adapter into gen & boat, start gen, flip master switch on, green light stops blinking goed solid, panel in cabin lights up, flip parallel on, still good, flip shore power 1 and it trips the main switch! Why?! The 2000 never did
Makewine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 16:12   #2

Re: Generator

My name is Michael, I've a Regal 32 Express, this is our 7th season, we keep it in Mystic CT on a mooring. I am desperate to understand why (if) the 2200 can cause this problem. BTW, I've replaced the cord on the 2000 and will see if it does the same this weekend. Can't see why unless from 1 week to the next something happened to the boat
Old 20-09-2021, 16:54   #3

Boat: Hunter 40.5

I do not know the specifics of either product but with no shore connection, check to see if there is continuity between AC Ground and AC neutral. There should not be.

It is possible that the generator is creating a bond when activated (as it should, maybe the old one did not) and some angry pixies are using ground rather than neutral back home. Triggering a GFCI.
Sandy Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 17:01   #4

I ran a Honda 2000 for 14-14 years. I never use the parallel on the panel. Get a 30 amp Y splitter. Run from the generator to the Y, then plug the two legs into each of the shore power connectors. Now run each side of the panel independently rather than using the parallel switch.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2021, 03:36   #5

Sandy

Not being an electrician, how do I check to see if there is continuity between AC Ground and AC neutral? Is that at the generator of the boat panel? It does seem to point to something amiss with the new generator. I will determine that this weekend.

Shrew

I didn't know I could get a 30 amp Y splitter to plug into the 120kV on the generator. Our last boat had only one outlet so there wasn't a parallel switch so we just kept the same pigtail connector and never had an issue. However, once I resolve this problem with the one I'll look into your recomendation.

Thanks both!
Old 21-09-2021, 09:38   #6

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome.

I have no comment about your electrical issues but I would suggest updating your profile with your general location and your boat make & model in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

I would happily help more if the link above is not enough.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2021, 14:49   #7

Boat: Island Packet 40

Could be just surge with the bigger genset. You might need to switch all the individual loads off, bring he power to the panel and switch them beck on one at a time.
Old 22-09-2021, 03:53   #8

Everything is off before I flip the parallel & shore power 1 switch. I'm thinking it has something to do with bad wiring in the new generator. I'm bringing the 2000 back to the boat this weekend to see if it, too, causes the same failure. Never did before so....
Old 22-09-2021, 04:09   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

You might want to look closes at the plugs and cable for the lead from genny to socket if its been used for years. Equally what's the socket on the yacht like and the wiring behind it?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2021, 05:38   #10

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I'm guessing the "parallel" switch feeds two different sides of your panel from one inlet?

If so, what happens if you don't parallel them? Can you run just one side? Try both, one at a time.

Is there a Ground Fault breaker that's tripping? If so, the grounds and neutrals have to remain separated up to that point.

Finally, instead of a "Y" adapter, how about a second 30A (I'm assuming) cable so you can feed each side directly, without paralleling?

Lots of assumptions here, sorry. Just going with what you gave us.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2021, 15:43   #11

Boat: Island Packet 40

And you might check to ensure that live and neutral or neutral and earth are not reversed in the cable or genset.
Old 23-09-2021, 04:58   #12

Ok, I swapped shore 1 & shore 2 outlets and doesn't matter. The pigtail cable is brand new and worked fine with 2000. Tried a new fangled clip on cable ($100) and still a no go. Can't run shore 1 without parallel, can't run shore 2 without shore 1. Boat manual reads "voltage leakage" which could mean gen has surge protection. Checked wiring diagram for 2200 & 2000, seems the same. I like the idea of getting a splitter, but never had to use one before. Anyway, as typed, I'm bringing 2000 to boat this weekend hoping it is going to work as it always has. If so, then gen us bad. BTW, bought 2200 from Amazon, talked with agent and am getting full refund AND get to keep it! One more thing, regular shore power, connected to dock, works
Old 25-09-2021, 07:55   #13

Low and behold, the old Honda 2000 works as it always has! So, now to inform Honda they must inform others wanting to upgrade, that 2200's most likely will not work. I watched a video about creating a plug adapter to control surge protection from the gen, but that also creates a failure point.

Last note, rewired shore power has new devices which adversely affect older boats. Causing various on board AC systems to trip shore breaker
Old 25-09-2021, 08:30   #14

Just a guess, but have you checked the ground connection on both generators? One may have a floating ground, the other may not.
Be Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2021, 09:28   #15

My cousin is an electrician and is very curious to check it out

Tags
generator