Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2021, 09:31   #16

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makewine View Post
So, now to inform Honda they must inform others wanting to upgrade, that 2200's most likely will not work.
Since we never got down to the real reason for the problem, it's hard to conclude it's Honda's fault. A lot of unanswered questions remain, above.

Where I have a problem is returning (or not) a working generator and asking for a refund. That strikes me as unethical. Maybe some retailers let you get away with this, but it raises prices for the rest of us.

Many of us have had to upgrade the electrical systems on our older boats to conform to newer safety standards. This is neither a bad thing, nor the fault of the newer equipment. And usually, the problem (like the AC systems on our boats themselves) is pretty simple. It's hard to justify not fixing it.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2021, 10:06   #17

Boat: Amel 54

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if was Hondas 'fault' rather than user error, in general there's too much electronics on most of the gensets sold on the market today and all the electronics have a tendency of creating problems.

Slight over exaggeration...
I do not need the option to surf the web using the genset controller.
Van Der Beek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2021, 18:34   #18

Boat: Tartan 40

If you’re a subscriber to Morgan’s Cloud, recently there was an article about portable generators and dangerous ground situations. Likely something’s going wrong in your setup.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2021, 21:33   #19

Boat: Island Packet 40

You really need to find out why the fault occurred. There is a possibility that the wiring in the boat, the old generator or both of them is not correct and that you might have a potentially fatal hazard extant.
Old 26-09-2021, 05:55   #20

Boat: Regal 32 Express

I've been using the 2000 since my previous boat, a Chappal 2900 with only 1 30 amp outlet. It's been at least 14 years and I only bought the 2200 when the 2000 pull cord broke. I replaced it and it will continue to be our shore power. I am now looking for another 2000 to have as a standby, unless an electrician can resolve the 2200 issue
Makewine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2021, 06:26   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makewine View Post
I am now looking for another 2000 to have as a standby, unless an electrician can resolve the 2200 issue
Make sure to use an ABYC Certified Marine Electrician.
Very rare to find a land based electrician trained in AC/DC bonding and grounding or AC neutral/ground bonding (different than your house).

Some practices of land based electricians can be extremely dangerous on a boat and can also cause significant corrosion issues.

Nigel Calder has a superb article on these issues in the August/September edition of Professional Boatbuilder Magazine.
Old 27-09-2021, 04:15   #22

Boat: Regal 32 Express

Keeping the generator wasn't my idea. No local dealer wanted it back and, since I put gas & oil in it, I am not allowed to mail it back. The Amazon rep never gave me an alternative. The 2000 has never caused any problems. Not on this or our previous boat and I've seen a lot of others using the same model. Some larger boats even have 2 connected. To be honest, if I could get someone to fix my onboard Kholer generator I wouldn't need the Honda. It came new with boat and hasn't run for a full season in 7 years with it not running at all the last 2. I've spoken with many others who have the same continuous code failures time and time again. Now mine has a coolant leak and unless I want to throw more $$ at it it's just taking up space.
Makewine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator