Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2020, 17:42   #16

Boat: Volkscruiser
Re: buying a sailing boat

archie2 was that the cat that was advertised on Gumtree for $25,000? If so what was she like?
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 22:26   #17

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

I must say, $30k seems extremely optimistic to me. Maybe you’d get a decent ferro for that, but not much else that fits the needs.

The Swansons are out, particularly the 42. The scar tissue on my head attests to the lack of head room.
Old 26-06-2020, 22:34   #18

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by archie2 View Post
My experience was in a monohull, and why I'm looking for a 32ft or longer, is because it's better windward, cause of size and beam, has too be over 3 metres, all I wanted too do was sail up the coast of Australia, and have it registered in Australia, so if I wanted too sail overseas, I can, and bigger is better, so. I was told,
Every boat needs something, Not ever going to buy a boat, that doesn't have something wrong with it, and $30,000, there will be, so I would be doing something withe boat too improve it,
The boats I have come across, either the autopilot doesn't work, or the tender doesn't come with it, and I'm thinking, shouldn't a tender come with a boat anyway, cause if you're out at sea, and something happened, u need too get into a dingly, it's like having seatbelts in a car, for safety,
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but these are my thoughts,
The other things I was also looking for, was for navigation, was GPS, AIS, most important, wind instrument, VHS, solar, wind turbine, or a wind vane, furlur in front, aluminium mask, not wooden,
And not go for wood en boats, or steel, but fibreglass is the best,
I have done my homework on what I am looking for, and if I can find a boat that has this, And height, ad I'm 6ft, I'll be fine,
I hope this explains my intention and my ambition
In finding the right boat.

At the price you are looking, most of the extras you’d like will be worn out.

A decent dinghy and engine alone will set you back two thousand in Oz, or thereabouts.

Furlers will most likely be pretty worn, electronics obsolete, AIS unlikely.

Also, a tender isn’t the best choice for a life raft if the boat decides to sink. Sure, it’s better than nothing, but not a lot.

I think you are starting to see these limitations from what you’ve looked at so far. Maybe you should consider finding a decent boat then sourcing the other stuff separately. If you have time, bargains can be found, plus lucky breaks and generous boaters have solved a lot of my wish lists.

Tags
boat, buying, sail, sailing