Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2020, 17:55   #1

buying a sailing boat

Hi Im new to this forum, my name peter, but hopefully, i will find lots of help, as experience is everything, and its priceless, old school, you cant beat it.

I haven't sailed for over 40 years, and its always been my dream to go back to sailing, but I am having trouble trying to find the boat that suits.

very simple needs, well I hope they are, ...

Im 6ft in height, dont know cm, they weren't around when I went to school, so im a foot man, sorry,
looking for over 32 feet long.
not looking for steel or timber, just glass.
head at front of boat, seem to be no room at bow, plus sleeping, or if there head room.
wind vane, solar, wind turbine, or autopilot, wheel or tiller, one that works.
around $30,000 give or take a few cents,
Are my needs too extreme,
only me sailing,
have very good friends in siling, buts me that has to choose the boat that suits.
In Australia only, unless you feel like sailing it here,,
Im naive in what I sometimes ask,but its knowledge I seek.
archie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 14:44   #2

Boat: Volkscruiser
Re: buying a sailing boat

Archie2 it's a competitive market finding a good yacht over 32 feet for $30,000 here in Australia. I surveyed a Kahn Walker H28 with a toilet in the bow. That's the only boat I can think of that had a toilet there.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 15:18   #3

Boat: 1983 Catalina 30 5411 STD Rig

Bayfield 29 has the head in the bow.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/bayfield-29
fox9988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 03:43   #4

Just my personal opinion, but why on earth would anyone want a head in the bow? It's hard enough using a head at sea being tossed around when it's midships, in front of the v-berth...

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2020, 18:24   #5

walker 28 is too small, i need room, but thanks,
Old 23-06-2020, 18:25   #6

ill check that out fox9988,
Old 23-06-2020, 18:27   #7

i agree littlewing, there a few boats around have to keep looking
Old 23-06-2020, 18:41   #8

i must of made a mistake, not looking for a head at the bow, want it at the stern, nice boat,
Old 25-06-2020, 02:19   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by archie2 View Post
...head at front of boat, seem to be no room at bow, plus sleeping, or if there head room.
If you want a head in the stern (also less common), why did you indicate "head at front of boat" in your original list?

This is why I responded that I didn't understand why anyone would want a head at the bow...

Sounds as if you need to get out there and look at a LOT more boats.

Good luck!
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2020, 02:29   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Peter,

Let's try and start over. You are looking for a boat over 32 ft. To do ?? You are located in Australia? How about a Swanson?

Your experience is ??? I understand it was 40 yrs. ago, but was it in sailing monohulls?

Your purchase budget, you think is $30,000 Aus? Will that include improvements? or it is purchase only?

Have you made a list of your desired features for the boat? Like grp? what kind of rig? skeg rudder? or not? Let us see the sort of 32 ft + boat you're thinking about?

Ann
Old 25-06-2020, 03:00   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Hi, Peter,

Let's try and start over. You are looking for a boat over 32 ft. To do ?? You are located in Australia? How about a Swanson?

Your experience is ??? I understand it was 40 yrs. ago, but was it in sailing monohulls?

Your purchase budget, you think is $30,000 Aus? Will that include improvements? or it is purchase only?

Have you made a list of your desired features for the boat? Like grp? what kind of rig? skeg rudder? or not? Let us see the sort of 32 ft + boat you're thinking about?

Ann
My experience was in a monohull, and why I'm looking for a 32ft or longer, is because it's better windward, cause of size and beam, has too be over 3 metres, all I wanted too do was sail up the coast of Australia, and have it registered in Australia, so if I wanted too sail overseas, I can, and bigger is better, so. I was told,
Every boat needs something, Not ever going to buy a boat, that doesn't have something wrong with it, and $30,000, there will be, so I would be doing something withe boat too improve it,
The boats I have come across, either the autopilot doesn't work, or the tender doesn't come with it, and I'm thinking, shouldn't a tender come with a boat anyway, cause if you're out at sea, and something happened, u need too get into a dingly, it's like having seatbelts in a car, for safety,
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but these are my thoughts,
The other things I was also looking for, was for navigation, was GPS, AIS, most important, wind instrument, VHS, solar, wind turbine, or a wind vane, furlur in front, aluminium mask, not wooden,
And not go for wood en boats, or steel, but fibreglass is the best,
I have done my homework on what I am looking for, and if I can find a boat that has this, And height, ad I'm 6ft, I'll be fine,
I hope this explains my intention and my ambition
In finding the right boat.
Old 25-06-2020, 04:33   #12

Boat: Volkscruiser

As an Australian surveyor I have a fair idea of the market and you are fairly optimistic trying to fulfill that list for $30,000. Plenty of boat's are sold without a tender, GPS, Autopilot, AIS and safety equipment. For 30g I would be looking for good hull, rigging less than 10 year's old and a decent engine anything else is a bonus.
Good luck in your search.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2020, 06:04   #13

It's called positive thinking, if I aim high, anything under that is a bonus as u say, I agree, hull, rigging, and a engine, it's the 3 items, that have failed me so far, and as you a surveyor, u are worth your weight in gold, a good friend of mine who is also a surveyor, save me quite a few pennies, in checking out the deck of a particular boat, wasn't good. But a boat I will find, if u happen too come across anything in your travels, let me know, I would appreciate it,
Old 25-06-2020, 14:36   #14

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Archie,

Why don't you see if you can find an S & S 30, and go have a look at it. They are nice sailing boats, in your size range. If $30 k is your top, plan on spending 20 of it for the boat. Electronics are expensive, and so are the materials for upgrades.

Ann
Old 26-06-2020, 00:24   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Archie,

Why don't you see if you can find an S & S 30, and go have a look at it. They are nice sailing boats, in your size range. If $30 k is your top, plan on spending 20 of it for the boat. Electronics are expensive, and so are the materials for upgrades.

Ann
Thanks Ann, I will, I'm planning on looking at a 40ft catamaran tomorrow for $25,000, needs some TLC, and a Adams 27, but feel the Adams might just be a tad small,

Tags
boat, buying, sail, sailing