Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2011, 22:44   #1

Bought a Boat in Perth

Hi - I'm new to the forum.
Our story....We relocated to Perth in 2007 and I spent two seasons crewing on a 40ft Farr to learn a bit about sailing as I'd never really sailed before. I eventually built up the courage to buy 'Ben Bolt' - a 40ft Trimaran in early 2010 - the idea was to slowly get my wife and kids keen on sailing and do some coastal cruising. As luck would have it we had hardly taken ownership when I took an assignment in Madagascar (just for 6 months to sit out the recession) and we left Ben Bolt sitting on a mooring in Mangles bay. Six months has now turned to 18 months, Ben Bolt is still sitting on the mooring and it looks like I'll be going from here to South Africa instead of returning to Perth...
Having failed at a few half-hearted attempts to get somebody to sail her over to Madagascar for me (and to sell her), I'm seriously considdering trying to get a crew together and sail her from Perth to Mauritius next June/July, from where I'm hoping to find somebody that can use her for charter / daysailing tourists - enough to keep her maintained.
Until then I'm looking for somebody that may want to use her (at no cost) for the season in Perth - just so she's at least getting some use and attention.
DasMuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 22:56   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Bought a Boat in Perth

G'day DasMuller and welcome aboard. I don't think I can help you out (mores the pity) but I do know someone in Rockingham who has been seriously thinking about buying a cruising boat but just can't pull it all together right now (family, work etc etc). If you want to PM with more details, I can bounce the idea off him and if he is interested, I can put the two of you in touch. He is a responsible and level headed kind of guy.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 23:42   #3

Yes please. That would be great. I'm new to this forum thing. What's PM.
Old 24-09-2011, 01:00   #4

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.

Click on the individuals name in the left hand panel, and you get a list of options.
{Personal Message} is one of them, i.e. not readily visible to others.
Old 24-09-2011, 05:32   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, DasMuller.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 11:12   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here.
kind regards,
Old 25-09-2011, 11:31   #7

Boat: Looking for a new boat

"Please sail and use my 40 ft trimaran for free"? This sounds like the flip side to an all to common post: Let me use/live on your 40 ft boat for free. We've got a live one!!! Welcome to CF. I am sure you will find all that you need and then some.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 02:33   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasMuller View Post
Yes please. That would be great. I'm new to this forum thing. What's PM.
I will ask him and let you know what eventuates
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 26-09-2011, 02:52   #9

Wotname, DasMuller, let me know if I can be of any help (newbie up for fun crewing a trimaran near Perth).
RigelKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 03:37   #10

Boat: Catalina 42 Pacific cruise to Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasMuller View Post
Hi - I'm new to the forum.
Our story....We relocated to Perth in 2007 and I spent two seasons crewing on a 40ft Farr to learn a bit about sailing as I'd never really sailed before. I eventually built up the courage to buy 'Ben Bolt' - a 40ft Trimaran in early 2010 - the idea was to slowly get my wife and kids keen on sailing and do some coastal cruising. As luck would have it we had hardly taken ownership when I took an assignment in Madagascar (just for 6 months to sit out the recession) and we left Ben Bolt sitting on a mooring in Mangles bay. Six months has now turned to 18 months, Ben Bolt is still sitting on the mooring and it looks like I'll be going from here to South Africa instead of returning to Perth...
Having failed at a few half-hearted attempts to get somebody to sail her over to Madagascar for me (and to sell her), I'm seriously considdering trying to get a crew together and sail her from Perth to Mauritius next June/July, from where I'm hoping to find somebody that can use her for charter / daysailing tourists - enough to keep her maintained.
Until then I'm looking for somebody that may want to use her (at no cost) for the season in Perth - just so she's at least getting some use and attention.
Sad case really! Impulse buying can have dire consequences down the track!

All the best mate, hope the outcome is OK!
Jamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 05:45   #11

Boat: Roberts Mauritius 46 Ketch

G'day DasMuller,
If you haven't finalised someone to care/use your boat, I am interested in throwing my hat in the ring. Like you, I am looking at buying an ocean going boat for cruising.
Regards
MC
Mark Cusack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 07:20   #12

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Dudley and Jenny's old boat eh?
I see she's had a colour change away from the red and white of old.
Old 05-10-2011, 00:51   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
I will ask him and let you know what eventuates
Quote:
Originally Posted by RigelKent View Post
Wotname, DasMuller, let me know if I can be of any help (newbie up for fun crewing a trimaran near Perth).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Cusack View Post
G'day DasMuller,
If you haven't finalised someone to care/use your boat, I am interested in throwing my hat in the ring. Like you, I am looking at buying an ocean going boat for cruising.
Regards
MC
DasMuller,

Yes, my colleague is interested in helping out here. He is a member of the TCYC at Rockingham and has all the various tickets etc required in WA.

We are also thinking that RigelKent and Mark Cusack (if he is still interested) and myself can help him out if and when as required.

What would you like to do next?
Old 05-10-2011, 06:08   #14

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Welcome Aboard Cruisers Forum
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:44   #15

Great!! Sorry for the delayed response. I'm planning to be in Perth 06-20 November to give her a little much needed attention, but I don't think time will allow me to get her out of the water. I've also had some interest from a couple that are relocating to Perth for a year on contract. Not sure how to proceed from here - are any of you guys able to make it to TCYC at any time between 6&20 Nov?