Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2016, 07:18   #2221
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

Almost time to go sailing but watch out groundhog day is comming up really fast.
Old 30-01-2016, 15:38   #2222

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Here's a youtube video I thought had some relevance to this thread....

Old 30-01-2016, 16:12   #2223

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post

Remarkable how much couldn't even be imagined, let alone predicted, in earlier times.
Old 30-01-2016, 16:47   #2224

Absolutely. Makes the whole we must act now to save our great great great grandchildren argument a bit silly, don't it?

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 30-01-2016, 20:35   #2225

Thanks to global warming, an icebreaker with no ice to break
Old 30-01-2016, 21:33   #2226
cruiser

Jack,

Temps are predicted to be in the 40s, 50's and 60's (5-15 degrees C) this week here in New England with sunny skies. Usually our weather this time of year is well below freezing. So most of us will be outdoors this week, some days in short pants.

Name one bad thing regarding this weather situation, besides the snow removal people not having any work to do and icebreakers not having any ice to break?
Old 30-01-2016, 22:26   #2227
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ken that's what is called weather not climate change remember last year the snow in Boston didn't completely melt off until mid July enjoy this year next may just be a sub 0 one again. We are a little below normal here about 5 to 7 deg f below. Wanna trade.
Old 31-01-2016, 01:31   #2228

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

He's back!

Do you still think that climate models are heuristic?
Old 31-01-2016, 08:48   #2229
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here's a thought personally I think all the ice breaker activity in the Arctic is at least partially responsible for the lack of sea ice. It has to freeze and stay undesterbed to become multi year thicker pack ice. By running thru it we are disturbing the natural formation of the ice. So man is causing the loss of Arctic sea ice. Its not co2 concentration at all its the many government and private company ice breakers that are causing all the problems.
Old 31-01-2016, 09:48   #2230

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:

Well we don't ned a weatherman to know which way your wind blows. You can salvage any form of media to have a view one way or another, depending on your established views, usually formed from a childhood. Generally speaking the right will be deniers and the left will be alarmist. All the proof in the world rarely sways either side (pointed out by over 2,220 post, so far).
Perhaps a middle ground of "just in case" could move us to not throwing pastics in the ocean and not buying a gas guzzler.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 31-01-2016, 11:05   #2231
CLOD

Boat: none

I've changed my mind!

Overall it's getting cooler and it's mans' fault.
Old 31-01-2016, 16:02   #2232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Well we don't ned a weatherman to know which way your wind blows. You can salvage any form of media to have a view one way or another, depending on your established views, usually formed from a childhood. Generally speaking the right will be deniers and the left will be alarmist. All the proof in the world rarely sways either side (pointed out by over 2,220 post, so far).
Perhaps a middle ground of "just in case" could move us to not throwing pastics in the ocean and not buying a gas guzzler.

The problem is the climate change boogey man approach isn't working. Hence 2200+ posts here, hence increasing market share of gas guzzlers and there's little connection between chucking plastic in the ocean (usually by way of storm runoff from land to ocean) and climate change.
Old 31-01-2016, 16:16   #2233

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
... and there's little connection between chucking plastic in the ocean (usually by way of storm runoff from land to ocean) and climate change.
Actually, I think there is a clear and direct connection. The same attitude that allows some of us to spew pollutants into the atmosphere (like CO2 and CH4) is the same one that rationalizes turfing all manner of plastic garbage into the oceans. It springs from the same constantly failing narrative that says resources are endless and the Earth can absorb anything that we do to it without impact or change.

No ... the two are absolutely linked.
Old 31-01-2016, 16:45   #2234

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I've changed my mind!

Overall it's getting cooler and it's mans' fault.
Instigator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
You're probably right about the more extreme right & left, which only shows how connected the science issues are with the socio-economic ones. But most people are closer to somewhere in the middle of the political spectrum (thankfully, imho). So while more of the posts tend towards one side or the other, I would think there are readers who may now have a better understanding of the issues, wherever they may fall. I know I do. Besides, the science is still evolving, so that leaves additional room for positions to change as more is discovered.

I have found the thread most educational, although I missed the other ones. I gather they were more contentious and got locked?
Old 31-01-2016, 17:05   #2235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Actually, I think there is a clear and direct connection. The same attitude that allows some of us to spew pollutants into the atmosphere (like CO2 and CH4) is the same one that rationalizes turfing all manner of plastic garbage into the oceans. It springs from the same constantly failing narrative that says resources are endless and the Earth can absorb anything that we do to it without impact or change.

No ... the two are absolutely linked.
I know your point is a broader one, but I'd like to think that sailors who run their diesel engines on occasion, for e.g., don't also throw their plastic refuse (or much else) overboard. As we know, the majority of the air pollutants come from the industrialized world, whereas much of the plastic in the oceans seems more attributable to the less developed world where landfills are often lacking. Given the progress that at least the western industrialized world has made over the last decades, I'm not so sure about the linkage.

I think most people understand that resources are not endless and that the planet's ability to withstand what we do to it is not without limits. But despite all the prophecies now and throughout history, the idea that these are limits which will lead to our imminent doom seems to be the consistently failing narrative.
Closed Thread