Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2024, 04:37   #1

Tow Vehicle Suggestions Sought

So my 6700lb displacement twin keeled pocket-cruiser sloop is in the Sea of Cortez and so far I'm not enjoying it here. Thinking of buying a trailer and tow vehicle to head back to British Columbia or perhaps Florda to go visit the Bahamas for a time.

Been looking at 60s-90s Ford pickups as tow vehicles. I like the relative simplicity of the engine bay on older cars but was surprised to find the manual transmissions on these older vehicles have a considerably lower towing capacity than their automatic transmission equipped equivalents.

Basically I have never towed with such small vehicles and don't have a clue what I need to consider. Would love to hear advice on this.

I really wanted a Ford 300 inline 6 carbureted and straight piped with the aftermarket intake and exhaust etc for simplicity and power. I saw several such builds online with something in excess of 400 ft lbs of torque and you can't beat those engines for compactness and reliability but the 300 was only in the lighter duty models to my knowledge and I'd definitely need a heavy duty model. Not sure if the swap would require custom engine mounts but presumably not. Would ideally love a heavier duty 5 (or more) speed manual transmission with 2 speed rear axle but those would probably not be simple swaps.

Anyway would love to hear advice on all this. I don't have lots of money but I have time. The boat will stay stored in Mexico probably for at least a year.

Regarding the trailer, my first inclination is to get a 3 axle version to have a balanced load and minimize weight on the hitch. A bit of redundancy doesn't hurt either as one axle could be cannibalized in an emergency. Since it's a twin keeled boat that stands up on its own without bracing could I just buy a normal wood floored flatdeck and use wood blocks for extra support under the bow and stern? Like a normal commercial truck flatdeck?
SomeGuyInaShirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 06:11   #2

Boat: C&C 30 MkII
Re: Tow Vehicle Suggestions Sought

Back in the day I had a 1989 F-250 with 300-6 with a 5 speed and later a 1992 with the same configuration. Though they were both 250's they were the lighter duty versions. In that era if you have to pull the axles to change the rear brakes those are the heavy duty versions. I don't think the 300-6 was available in the HD versions back then. I did pull a friends boat with mine a few times without issue back then but likely a lighter boat than yours. His was a 25 foot go fast powerboat with a big block.
Drumroll30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 09:00   #3

Nice, those engines are awesome. Stock performance not so much but great starting point.
Old 09-01-2024, 09:39   #4

Boat: Maine Cat 38

There are a wide variety of trucks out there that will get the job done. From personal experience I can attest that the F150 eco boost will pull your load with confidence.
Old 09-01-2024, 12:45   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparx View Post
There are a wide variety of trucks out there that will get the job done. From personal experience I can attest that the F150 eco boost will pull your load with confidence.
Care to share the specs of your truck, trailer and load?
Old 09-01-2024, 13:06   #6

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyInaShirt View Post
So my 6700lb displacement twin keeled pocket-cruiser sloop is in the Sea of Cortez and so far I'm not enjoying it here. Thinking of buying a trailer and tow vehicle to head back to British Columbia or perhaps Florda to go visit the Bahamas for a time.

Nissan Armada
Chevrolet Suburban (and alternate nameplates Escalade/YukonXL). 2500 version if older
Newer F-150 pickups and competing equivalents
F-250 pickups from any year and competing equivalents
Full size vans built on a 3/4 ton chassis

Quote:
Been looking at 60s-90s Ford pickups as tow vehicles.
Those are now antiques. You're better off buying something new and selling it after you move the boat.

Quote:

[T]hese older vehicles have a considerably lower towing capacity than their automatic transmission equipped equivalents.
Basically I have never towed with such small vehicles and don't have a clue what I need to consider. Would love to hear advice on this.
I drove those back in the day. They are not good for the 9000 # gross trailer weight you'll be hauling (displacement + weight of the trailer + other inevitable stuff, dinghy, outboard, whatever). The newer (around 2010 up) 1/2 ton trucks have beefed up drivelines to improve their towing performance.

There are three limiting factors on an older truck. I had a 1996 Dodge 1500 with a stick so we can use that as an example. 4800 pound towing capacity iirc. First problem with a 9000# trailer is that the gearing is too high for the engine torque and so you'll end up burning clutch plates from excessive feathering of the clutch pulling away from a stop. Second problem is braking. Third problem is soft suspension and overall insufficient suspension capacity on the rear axle to handle the tongue weight.

Quote:

I really wanted a Ford 300 inline 6 carbureted and straight piped with the aftermarket intake and exhaust etc for simplicity and power. I saw several such builds online with something in excess of 400 ft lbs of torque and you can't beat those engines for compactness and reliability but the 300 was only in the lighter duty models to my knowledge and I'd definitely need a heavy duty model. Not sure if the swap would require custom engine mounts but presumably not. Would ideally love a heavier duty 5 (or more) speed manual transmission with 2 speed rear axle but those would probably not be simple swaps.
Most of the heavier duty trucks and vans and Suburbans, and the used parts, were collected up and melted down as part of various cash-for-klunkers emissions efforts, which is why you're having trouble finding what you want.

Quote:
Regarding the trailer, my first inclination is to get a 3 axle version to have a balanced load and minimize weight on the hitch. A bit of redundancy doesn't hurt either as one axle could be cannibalized in an emergency.
Two axles is sufficient up to 10,000 pounds. Triaxle trailers add cost, are hard to turn, and have problems with uneven tire wear. You want 10%-15% weight on the hitch for stability, and a weight distributing hitch.

Quote:

Since it's a twin keeled boat that stands up on its own without bracing could I just buy a normal wood floored flatdeck and use wood blocks for extra support under the bow and stern? Like a normal commercial truck flatdeck?
You would have to think through what kinds of lateral bracing you need to keep the boat from sliding sideways or "heeling" towards one side of the bow or stern. You also will lose vertical clearance, anything over 13'6" will become a serious problem.
Old 09-01-2024, 13:23   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Nissan Armada
Chevrolet Suburban (and alternate nameplates Escalade/YukonXL). 2500 version if older
Newer F-150 pickups and competing equivalents
F-250 pickups from any year and competing equivalents
Full size vans built on a 3/4 ton chassis

Those are now antiques. You're better off buying something new and selling it after you move the boat.

I drove those back in the day. They are not good for the 9000 # gross trailer weight you'll be hauling (displacement + weight of the trailer + other inevitable stuff, dinghy, outboard, whatever). The newer (around 2010 up) 1/2 ton trucks have beefed up drivelines to improve their towing performance.

There are three limiting factors on an older truck. I had a 1996 Dodge 1500 with a stick so we can use that as an example. 4800 pound towing capacity iirc. First problem with a 9000# trailer is that the gearing is too high for the engine torque and so you'll end up burning clutch plates from excessive feathering of the clutch pulling away from a stop. Second problem is braking. Third problem is soft suspension and overall insufficient suspension capacity on the rear axle to handle the tongue weight.

Most of the heavier duty trucks and vans and Suburbans, and the used parts, were collected up and melted down as part of various cash-for-klunkers emissions efforts, which is why you're having trouble finding what you want.

Two axles is sufficient up to 10,000 pounds. Triaxle trailers add cost, are hard to turn, and have problems with uneven tire wear. You want 10%-15% weight on the hitch for stability, and a weight distributing hitch.

You would have to think through what kinds of lateral bracing you need to keep the boat from sliding sideways or "heeling" towards one side of the bow or stern. You also will lose vertical clearance, anything over 13'6" will become a serious problem.
Great response thank you! I'll have to consider a newer truck and just sell after hauling as you suggested.
Old 09-01-2024, 15:04   #8

Boat: Maine Cat 38

Detailed specs are here:

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/f...F150_Specs.pdf

I share the year I own, but you can find details for any other truck with a few key strokes.
Old 09-01-2024, 15:38   #9

If you only need the truck to make the move why not contract a Hotshot Diver to drag it for you? Way cheaper than buying a truck for a one way trip and they are already set up to do it. If you can crane the boat into the trailer they may also be able to provide that as most would not back their trailer into salt water.
Jebtrois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2024, 02:57   #10

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Check out this beauty....

https://www.gatewayclassiccars.com/v...-chevrolet-c10

Old 10-01-2024, 04:44   #11

Trucks are relatively expensive compared to boats. Also the fuel to run them.

Seems that it may be, as someone recommended, better to hire someone to do the one-way transfer.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2024, 05:18   #12

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay

Yes you can use a low boy trailer to haul it. Took this rig 650 miles into some mountains. 77' F-250 351 windsor with a 4 speed with granny gear which I used to start off at red lights. Total weight was about 12,000 lbs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	013113083752.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	442.2 KB
ID:	285193  
Old 10-01-2024, 08:03   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
Yes you can use a low boy trailer to haul it. Took this rig 650 miles into some mountains. 77' F-250 351 windsor with a 4 speed with granny gear which I used to start off at red lights. Total weight was about 12,000 lbs.
Nice! Do you still have that truck? I love the old trucks. Great picture.
Old 10-01-2024, 08:08   #14

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Trucks are relatively expensive compared to boats. Also the fuel to run them.

Seems that it may be, as someone recommended, better to hire someone to do the one-way transfer.

Trailers and trailer tires are also expensive; trucks, at least, can typically be resold without difficulty.

Last time I checked, commercial haulage rates were around $2.00 - $3.00 per mile. It might be less for trailer sailors that don't require oversize permits.
Old 10-01-2024, 08:57   #15

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyInaShirt View Post
Nice! Do you still have that truck? I love the old trucks. Great picture.
No. Now I have a 91' F-150, 05' Ranger, 63' Nova Wagon, 95' Triumph Trophy, 78' Sabre 28, forget the year stingray. Too many!
Jammer is right about fuel. I spent a fortune on gas behind the 77', but when I took that boat back to the coast I rented a newish Dodge dually with a Cummins diesel with the same trailer. Fuel was much cheaper. The biggest problem was keeping my speed down. That truck acted like the boat and trailer weren't even back there. I think I rented it from Enterprise truck.