Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 18:53   #31
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Thieving B$@#%^%$!!!

Funny how this has turned into a list of boobytraps for thieves. The 60k volt gang box is a good one. My yard has pretty good security but we have been hit many times. I don't leave personal tools I care about at work as a result. And I'm notorious for putting loose razor blades in the strangest places in my work station-like in cabinet door slides and other dark places where snoopy thieves might put their fingers. This discourages some of my more disrespectful coworkers from "borrowing" my tools. Oh, and the time I picked one of them up over my head and threw him into the canal for that. That seemed to work OK, but got me in trouble with the management, as he couldn't swim! But now my tools get left alone, a few razor cuts and a dunking later. I had a coworker who went so far as to wire a skilsaw so it would shock you when you pulled the trigger, that was good for a laugh! But once again management didn't think it was funny. Some people you have to let know you mean business.
On the other hand I walked out of Delta Marine and refused to go ever go back because they wanted to check my tool bag every night to see if I was stealing. They do this to all their employees, but I was a subcontractor. The owner of the boat (Extra Beat) was really pissed he had to wait for the boat to go elsewhere to get the job done, but he understood. Disrespectful. As if I wanted their rusty old crap, or would be willing to blow a huge contract to steal some of it. It can be taken too far. I'm all for traps which get the thief red-handed, literally if possible, but you still have to maintain a proffessional attitude and be respectful.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 21:05   #32

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
That's what I couldn't understand either. Why take them? They were just normal old racing braid. The radio and outboard I understand. But as mentioned the frustration of the sheets made the whole event worse.
Probably because he is not a sailboat guy or even a boater. He'll probably use them to hold the tarp drapped over his rusty van that he's living in.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 22:18   #33

Boat: Leopard 40 40 ft

Maybe it's time to start cutting off the hand of thieves when we catch them.
Nauti-Nauti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:31   #34
NDH

Boat: Dufour 40

Our business suffered a break in, stole all computers and electrical goods, the police caught the guy and he got a prison sentence.

18 months later we got hit again, the police came around and the officer smiled, next day we got a call to say the thief had been released from prison the week before and a visit to his home caught him with the proceeds from his latest escapade...............
NDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:16   #35

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

I have all my good tools engraved with my Drivers License No, No one has ever bothered to pick them up.

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:00   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Probably because he is not a sailboat guy or even a boater. He'll probably use them to hold the tarp drapped over his rusty van that he's living in.
Wow, living in a rusty van. Must be one of the higher class thieves.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:59   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
I say Get the name from the cops and then him. I live by my tools as well and if you touch mine without permission you have crossed the line. Don't even ask to borrow them unless I owe you money.

We've got someone with sticky fingers at the marina I'm at now. It's a great place as far as weather and wind goes and surrounded by million dollar homes. Still! We have a thief in our midst taking radios and laptops.
I think I know who it is and where he comes from and if I catch him we have the hold your ground law down here and I have a conceal permit.
He'll be fish bait !
As annoying as theft is, it isn't a capital offense.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:04   #38
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah on 'Rita T' View Post
As annoying as theft is, it isn't a capital offense.

Agreed. Not to mention the "stand your ground" law is federal and has nothing whatsoever to do with this situation. All the thief has to do is run away from you and it's perfectly illegal for you to shoot him in the back as this poster seems to be suggesting. It's "stand your ground", not "go chasing after criminals with a gun like a crazy vigilante". Big difference. All stand your ground states is that you are no longer required to prove that you could have run away before defending yourself. It will not protect you if you go out and intentionally harm someone, no matter what they may have done, unless you can prove it was immediately life-threatening to you. Self defense is still the only argument that will protect you. If you shoot someone who has done you wrong like this, it will look bad in court. Good luck proving self defense with an obvious motive like that staring the court in the face. Some people will use any excuse to threaten the use of their guns. Silly juvenile posturing. People like that are dangerous, to themselves as well as others.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:21   #39

Boat: departure 35

I was a mechanic at car dealers and heavy equipment dealers for several years after the navy and the one thing that pissed me off most was thieves. I was spending at one time over 500 bucks a week on my tool bill just to keep up with things and I swear I wouldn't even go to the head without locking my box. I quit 2 jobs over thieves there and the boss refusing to do anything about it. I did something to them then loaded up my box and left. It's just crazy how brave people are sometimes. Now I own a gun shop and caught a guy trying to rob me once. Go figure. He was looking for stuff to sell or trade for drugs too. That's just not safe robbing a gun shop!
rrranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:38   #40

Boat: departure 35

We had a thief on my last ship steal a guys wallet while he was sleeping. In the morning it was reported to his Division officer at muster and word got to the captain within about 30 minutes. I had just come on watch in the engineroom on throttles and got a stop and lock order from the bridge. I thought that was weird. We stopped the engine fast and started the jacking gear and reported back to the bridge. Then they told us to order the boilers to secure. That was getting really weird then. Out in the middle of the ocean. Minutes after we reported back that we were secure the captain came on the 1mc and ordered the entire crew to the flight deck. It got ugly from there.

He said there was a wallet stolen last night and gave us a speech about trust onboard ship. Then he gave the thief a chance to come forward and things would be easy on him. He actually said if it was in his power to make him walk the plank he would! Well, the thief didn't come forward so the captain and officers went below with bolt cutters and started cutting locks on lockers till it was found. When he came back to the flight deck with it in his hand he was bright red! He walked straight up to the sailor that did it and grabbed him by the collar and dragged him forward in front of everyone. He read him his rights, informed him of the charges and handed down the maximum punishment a captain could deliver. I forget what it was exactly but the kid was on a helo by days end. On his way to Charleston naval brig. I wish we had more captains like that. They's all be in jail these days. He was a good one.
rrranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:13   #41

You don't have to buy a special tool for this job. I have been doing this kind of work professionally since the 1980's and you can do it easily and safely with another kind of tool. pm me with the details of your job etc and I will tell you how to do it
George Hoskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:38   #42

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Agreed. Not to mention the "stand your ground" law is federal and has nothing whatsoever to do with this situation. All the thief has to do is run away from you and it's perfectly illegal for you to shoot him in the back as this poster seems to be suggesting... Some people will use any excuse to threaten the use of their guns. Silly juvenile posturing. People like that are dangerous, to themselves as well as others.
A couple of thoughts: Maybe it's just me but all the people I know that have concealed carry permits are not the people who should have them IMO.

The idea of cutting hands off of thieves would be OK with me but the reality, at least here in the US, is then we'd have them on disability/food stamps the rest of their lives. Or worse, enjoying a huge tort settlement.

"Theft is not a capital offense." Why the hell not? I've forgotten the numbers but I read the average thief commits hundreds of crimes per times getting caught. I'd much prefer death to thieves than supporting them in prisons for their sorry-assed lifetimes.

We can't even cane them! I ask again: Why the hell not?
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:05   #43

Boat: Fastback 32 cat.

I engrave my tools with my initials, birth date and state eg. ABC101060Q and register the # with the police.Easy to tell if a 20 year old has a 40 year olds tools.Makes the tools less attractive to a thief,so far so good. Also if police find the tools they know who owns them.
Ian R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:02   #44
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Hoskins View Post
You don't have to buy a special tool for this job. I have been doing this kind of work professionally since the 1980's and you can do it easily and safely with another kind of tool. pm me with the details of your job etc and I will tell you how to do it

I too have been doing this proffesionally for many years. I think a peeler is an awesome tool myself. What are you recommending? Why don't you tell everyone how to do it?
Old 03-02-2012, 11:23   #45

Boat: Catalina 27 - Handyman NO# 1229771
Send a message via MSN to tallyhorob

So any leads on the video you gave the police? Hope you get your stuff back.
tallyhorob is offline   Reply With Quote