Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2017, 13:46   #76

Boat: Mirage 35
Re: The New ActiveCaptain

Well, I had kind of been looking forward to the new version because I pretty much refuse to use Flash. But the first thing I see is a warning that the login form is not secure - it's not even using https. That, plus the boat card that wants to make public more personal information than I am prepared to accept, at least without a trial period first.

Oh, well.
Old 20-10-2017, 14:07   #77
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull View Post
Well, I had kind of been looking forward to the new version because I pretty much refuse to use Flash. But the first thing I see is a warning that the login form is not secure - it's not even using https. That, plus the boat card that wants to make public more personal information than I am prepared to accept, at least without a trial period first.

Oh, well.
You can fill in the boat card with nonsense info. They aren't doing a security check on members as far as I know.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 14:48   #78

Boat: 2002 Novatec 42 Sundeck Trawler

Been watching this thread with interest.
Have used AC for a few years now and love it.
I however use it on my ipad with Garmin Blue Charts.
Just updated a few minutes ago and have no issues.
I’ve never used the “live” web site so can’t comment on it.
Works for me off line.
Blue Chart App is free and charts are dirt cheap and accurate.
This is not my primary means of navigation, just a back up and a way to look for hazards etc while underway. Also very useful for route planning and research on marinas anchorages and such.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Panacea2183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 16:53   #79

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panacea2183 View Post
Been watching this thread with interest.
Have used AC for a few years now and love it.
I however use it on my ipad with Garmin Blue Charts.
Just updated a few minutes ago and have no issues.
I’ve never used the “live” web site so can’t comment on it.
Works for me off line.
Blue Chart App is free and charts are dirt cheap and accurate.
This is not my primary means of navigation, just a back up and a way to look for hazards etc while underway. Also very useful for route planning and research on marinas anchorages and such.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Ditto! Supplements my plotters nicely.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 22:24   #80

Was hoping for some improvements...but I can't even get past the verification step....even after my second attempted account....when it finally said email verified...I tried to log in and it wanted to reverify...system so far is sucking my energy!
multi-hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 04:38   #81

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull View Post

Oh, well.
Yea, we'll miss you.

Have you considered that you don't really have to provide that much information and that it doesn't have to be accurate? It's not like the Active Captain police will come to your boat and check.
Old 21-10-2017, 05:04   #82
CLOD

Boat: none

I just got on for the first time since the change and it seems fine to me. Yes it is different than the old version, what isn't. I opened on my iPad via internet and that worked, which is a big plus so I'll have to look into if there is a new app.
Old 21-10-2017, 05:39   #83

Wow,
I hadn’t noticed that Active Captain had changed anything...
We have a Garmin suite on our new boat and I have used the reviews on the Garmin BlueChart app but because we cruise with iPads and iPhones primarily, I never paid attention to the web site. Now I see that I can join the fun!
As I never used the old Flash version, I don’t know what I am missing...
Bruce
Bruce Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 07:05   #84

What is important to remember: Anytime you are not the paying customer you are the PRODUCT. ActiveCaptain is all about selling YOUR eyeballs to look at advertising. Just like Cruisersforum, by the way. All that has happened is the merging of the "social" and "review" sides have made the sale of YOU more obvious on Active Captain

For those of us who would never dream of having a Facebook or other social media account, this is an unwelcome, but still inevitable, migration.

I just entered a bunch of nonsense into the "boat card". It technically violates the terms of service, and maybe someday they will get around to reviewing and purging such obviously fake accounts, but in the meantime it works. If they decide that obviously fake accounts are not going to be tolerated, then I'll create one that looks real but has no real information in it.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 08:36   #85
CLOD

Boat: none

I don't use the boat card and still use AC
Old 22-10-2017, 19:04   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
What is important to remember: Anytime you are not the paying customer you are the PRODUCT. ActiveCaptain is all about selling YOUR eyeballs to look at advertising. Just like Cruisersforum, by the way. All that has happened is the merging of the "social" and "review" sides have made the sale of YOU more obvious on Active Captain

For those of us who would never dream of having a Facebook or other social media account, this is an unwelcome, but still inevitable, migration.

I just entered a bunch of nonsense into the "boat card". It technically violates the terms of service, and maybe someday they will get around to reviewing and purging such obviously fake accounts, but in the meantime it works. If they decide that obviously fake accounts are not going to be tolerated, then I'll create one that looks real but has no real information in it.
http://fakenamegenerator.com is great for this use. Gives you everything a website may ask for. Shame it's necessary but while it is it's a great site.
Alberg30Shill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 22:28   #87

Overall, I have to say I have no love at all for "crowd sourced" data. My opinion of the "crowd" is very low.

I hate having to read 5 or ten reviews of a single site before I can see a real consensus develop. Even then it is frequently biased by the large number of inexperienced and clueless posters. That is what I pay the editor of a book for, to sort through that crap.

But fewer and few people value the work of editors enough to pay them, so crowd source drival is what we have to deal with.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 03:06   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
Overall, I have to say I have no love at all for "crowd sourced" data. My opinion of the "crowd" is very low.
That's a funny thing to say on a free public forum.

Data are good; it's what is done with them that counts. Some chaff, but also lots of wheat on this forum. Traffic on the Google map is a timesaver. I could go on. Active Captain is a great idea, and we're all hoping that Garmin will be wise enough to add value to AC at the same time that it adds value to Garmin.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain