Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2017, 08:38   #1

Boat: Sea Ray 270
Thumbs down The New ActiveCaptain

Just wondering if it is just me, or is anyone else dissatisfied with the new ActiveCaptain interface? Why is it these web gurus always think newer is better? Sure, its prettier. But not as functional in my opinion. What happened to routes for instance? Both mine and everyone else's that I had access to? I hate that the owners sold out to Garmin (not one of my favorite companies) but it is their creation and most people want to make a buck. But I can already see and feel the conglomerate tentacles grasping and choking as it tries to wring a buck out of everything it does.
I have to give the new ActiveCaptain a big no-no . Anyone else have any thoughts?
jackheape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2017, 09:14   #2

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: The New ActiveCaptain

Well, I'm not going to speculate on why it was done or editorialize, but I don't like it either.

I uses less of the screen for the map unless you go to "full screen" mode and that's an extra step.

So Garmin, please change it back. As the saying goes, "If it's not broke, don't fix it."
Old 14-10-2017, 10:17   #3

Boat: Various

Wifey B: I freakin' hate hate hate it. Before, I loved it.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2017, 10:23   #4

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

I'm stuck in an infinite loop where it keeps telling me to "Complete your electronic boat card."

But I don't want to have an electronic boat card. . . .

And no matter what I try, it keeps popping that screen up in front of me, so I can't access any of the site at all.

Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2017, 10:25   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
I'm stuck in an infinite loop where it keeps telling me to "Complete your electronic boat card."

And no matter what I try, it keeps popping that screen up in front of me, so I can't access any of the site at all.

Oh but it requires one now. Stupid card. Just enter a bunch of garbage and continue.
Old 14-10-2017, 10:26   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: I freakin' hate hate hate it. Before, I loved it.
Found the way to the old menu. Just click on "more" and on the pull down, click on "Live Map (Flash)". Then it's back to old.
Old 14-10-2017, 12:10   #7

Boat: Valiant 40

The change is due to them dumping Flash as their display platform, which made it very difficult for them to integrate into other platform. AC never ran on iPhone or iPad, for example, as Apple does not allow it due to security issues.

I do miss getting all the info on tile right on the live map, instead of needing to go to a separate page, but the UI is updated and cleaner and I suspect will lead to new and better things.

Most UI redesigns can be pretty crappy right out of the gate until they are updated based on user feedback. This one is not that bad, all things considered. Notice that when you're on the live map page, the title is "Test Live Map." Sorta lets you know what the deal is.

As for the boat card stuff...whatever, I just created one. No big deal. Just hope it doesn't lead to me getting spammed in some way or another.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2017, 12:50   #8

Boat: Little Harbor 58

I don't like it either, I was getting it on Nobeltec and could hover on photos as well. Now, even though I updated AC in Nobeltec, I don't get pics and get directed to AC via internet. Well you don't usually get internet offshore, and if you do, you wouldn't want to download that much data at the rates they charge and 9600 baud. Don't like it.
FlightPlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2017, 15:47   #9

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

First, a HUGE thank-you to the new site developers for ditching Flash!!!

However, this is clearly a poor substitute for the old system. Right out of the gate, you're pushed into the "social" component (formerly e-boat cards.)

Here's a little tip for you, Jeff or Garmin or whoever: You will NEVER be the next FaceBook. I know "social" is all the rage right now, and you want "in." But that's not what you're good at. That's not what AC was before. That's not what its users want and that's not why it became so successful.

Moving on to the new "live map" interface. As was noted, there's less screen real estate devoted to the chart. Why such a huge waste of space at the bottom?

What about all the functionality of the old system? We used to be able to filter facilities by fuel type, or transient slips, and sort by price. Routes were mentioned above. I don't even recall all the other things, just that this is just a shell of the old system.

I fear this is the beginning of the end of the web-based interface. This is the first upgrade in ages, and all it did was remove functionality and try to shove the new e-boat cards down our throats.

I think this gives a good idea where the developers see AC going. Social media, chartplotter hardware and apps. It's no longer a real-time, user-generated cruising guide

I wish them well. It was good while it lasted.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2017, 17:42   #10

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
First, a HUGE thank-you to the new site developers for ditching Flash!!!........... .
As Band B pointed out, flash is still there, you just have to know how to get to it. It hasn't been "ditched".
Old 14-10-2017, 17:58   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
As Band B pointed out, flash is still there, you just have to know how to get to it. It hasn't been "ditched".
True, but it's obvious they're finally trying to move away from it. It's a glimmer of hope that maybe my concerns are misplaced. Maybe someone really does care about not only maintaining existing functionality, but adding [gasp] new features. Not something Garmin is known for, but who knows?
Old 14-10-2017, 18:56   #12

Quote:
Clearly their plan and just since we found out today we've told at least 20 people who didn't know it was there how to find it. Along the social component, they also are playing around with groups. Or perhaps eboatcards had them already. I never used it so wouldn't know.
Old 14-10-2017, 20:14   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post

New rule for the digital age: if the app is free, the product being sold is YOU. (Your data, basically)
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 05:29   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
New rule for the digital age: if the app is free, the product being sold is YOU. (Your data, basically)
Very true. I suspect Garmin's business model is very different from what Jeff & Karen's was.

Garmin (like most corporations) tends more toward squeezing every nickel out of every asset that can be monetized. They also seem to focus on developing new products at the expense of supporting the existing ones. To the point of making changes for change's sake, just to make things appear new, and calling last year's model "legacy."

I think we had the same discussion when they bought out DeLorme.

Time will tell. I hope my predictions turn out to be wrong!
Old 15-10-2017, 05:54   #15

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:

It won't be there for long. Supporting both platforms makes no sense long term. It's just transitional.

That said I think it's too early to despair entirely. This looks like the first cut at migration, just getting it functional and stable. Hopefully it will evolve fairly rapidly going forward.

There are some pretty cool things they could do with integrating boatcards...personalization, seeing where friends are, etc. will be interesting to see where it goes, hopefully.

Tags
captain