Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2017, 08:05   #61

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: The New ActiveCaptain

Back on topic, I have tried to post reviews of a marina and two anchorages and they don't show up after I've posted them. It seems like a waste of my time. Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 17-10-2017, 19:13   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Corporate mindset? I don't think so. I am about as far from corporate one can be and operate a small business.

By the way, you have obviously confused me with someone else. I asked nothing of you or anyone on this thread about a business model. I merely pointed out the realities of running a web site. I am curious though to learn where one gets free hardware and software to set up a web site for open source or any other project. Who puts up the money for these free items?
Sorry, wires crossed with Suijin.

Open Source software projects are usually started and run by volunteers, that's where the free software comes from. Development hardware is the developers PC's. Peer-to-Peer projects don't require servers but those that do are cheap, plentiful and supported by user donations. The vast majority of the modern internet runs on open source software. The fact users don't see or touch it doesn't mean it's not there :-)
Alberg30Shill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 20:21   #63
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberg30Shill View Post
Open Source software projects are usually started and run by volunteers, that's where the free software comes from. Development hardware is the developers PC's. Peer-to-Peer projects don't require servers but those that do are cheap, plentiful and supported by user donations.
From my limited experience I agree with all the above.

Quote:
Peer-to-Peer projects don't require servers but those that do are cheap, plentiful and supported by user donations. The vast majority of the modern internet runs on open source software. The fact users don't see or touch it doesn't mean it's not there :-)
The last line is my point. Just because the users don't see them doesn't mean the hardware and software isn't there. Also, the specific website under discussion is not a peer to peer network and to provide decent bandwidth to support the graphics and number of users will require more server power than a couple of cheap Dell desktops. Someone, somewhere has to pay for that and to maintain the system, update the software and in these days especially security.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 14:35   #64

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
I much prefer Garmin's charts. For $100 I get the whole US and Bahamas. There's no moving between different scale charts. No installation of lots of files. The text font is sized to be legible regardless of zoom level. The text is not upside down if I'm steering "course-up". The shading of shallow areas can be set as I want. I can reduce the the amount of clutter/detail. In these waters, accuracy seems as good good as other electronic charts or paper charts.
OK, let's be clear here. What you're talking about is using vector charts (think of them as "fully electronic") vs. raster charts (think of them as pictures of paper charts, scanned in.)

Just about every hardware manufacturer uses, or at least supports, vector charts nowadays. I haven't seen the problems you mention in years. It's getting hard to find software that even allows the use of raster charts, but when they do, they're usually pretty good at tiling them together so you can scale in and out, and pan around, easily.

This is NOT because Garmin (or anyone else) is using proprietary formats.

You can get raster OR vector charts for free from NOAA and do the exact same thing. Some software programs are very good at downloading and installing them with a simple area selection on a map.

I'm not trying to say anything positive or negative about Garmin or any other company. Just trying to clear up any confusion.

Garmin (and others) add value to the free charts by including things like pre-defined waypoints and routes, fishing spots, aerial photography, port information or other add-ins to the government charts. If you use those extras, you'll probably find it worth the extra money. Some of us don't.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 20:30   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
From my limited experience I agree with all the above.

The last line is my point. Just because the users don't see them doesn't mean the hardware and software isn't there. Also, the specific website under discussion is not a peer to peer network and to provide decent bandwidth to support the graphics and number of users will require more server power than a couple of cheap Dell desktops. Someone, somewhere has to pay for that and to maintain the system, update the software and in these days especially security.
Not someone, the community. Open Source projects have been self funding successfully for over a decade regardless of their server or bandwidth needs. You need look no further than wikipedia.org as an excellent example with no advertising, no subscription fees, just users contributing and consuming data and people voluntarily contributing their time and money. Also, as far as security is concerned, closed source projects from corporations are far more vulnerable due to people not being able to review the source code.
Old 19-10-2017, 08:36   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Back on topic, I have tried to post reviews of a marina and two anchorages and they don't show up after I've posted them. It seems like a waste of my time. Has anyone else had this problem?
Guessing - They possibly have a layer of moderation now, so that entries won't appear til they have been reviewed.

Are your entries still not up yet?
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 13:15   #67

Boat: Irwin citation 40 "Southern Toy"

I have enjoyed AC for many years. cant get into new system so sadly good bye
olepedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 15:01   #68

Jeff is active on the Facebook group working hard to solve any issues users are having. I am grateful for the service ActiveCaptain provides and will continue to use it
TravelingAussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 05:05   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Guessing - They possibly have a layer of moderation now, so that entries won't appear til they have been reviewed.

Are your entries still not up yet?

As of yesterday, they are not. That's a few days.
Old 20-10-2017, 05:08   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingAussie View Post
Jeff is active on the Facebook group working hard to solve any issues users are having. I am grateful for the service ActiveCaptain provides and will continue to use it
Well, Jeff banned a bunch of people from that group for personal reasons to that "support forum" is not available to them.

I suppose creating a fake account on Facebook would let you join the AC group but that's against the Facebook policy.
Old 20-10-2017, 08:58   #71

Also, Facebook is not the internet, it's a walled garden. If companies want to communicate with their users, they should do it somewhere all users can access. I have no plans on ever having a Facebook account so bye bye OpenCaptain, hello sQuiddio on OpenCPN!
Old 20-10-2017, 09:08   #72

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Did you read my sentence? I am providing the content, not them.

The business model is called open source, has been around for decades and runs the vast majority of the internet. You really should look into it, it's changing the world in ways that will effect you.
You totally missed my point. They are providing the platform for soliciting, aggregating, and presenting all of the content from all of their users. There is value in that. You can't do it independent of their platform.

It's an exchange. You add value in the form of your contributed content, and you receive value back in the form of everyone else's content, organized and made easily accessible.

FYI I'm a technology entrepreneur, online since dial up with Unix shell accounts and one of the first users of Mosaic. I've consulted on the design of many of the communities that have defined these principles were discussing, so your attempt at sarcasm is particularly misdirected and, to be frank, humorous.

Open source and UCG are not the same thing. Yes they cross paths here and there, but they are fundamentally different. And open source is not equivalent to not-for-profit either.

So your proposed business model is not for profit open source. You're free to sit around waiting (and I expect it will be a loooong wait) for someone to develop that as an alternative. Me, I'm comfortable handing over some very arcane personally identifying information in exchange for the value I receive in return. I'm very familiar with how personally identifying information circulates on the internet. It is indeed alarming and I make a conscious and diligent effort to keep mine private and out of circulation. But this is one instance where I'm not concerned with the bargain that is struck. To each their own.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 09:50   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
You totally missed my point. They are providing the platform for soliciting, aggregating, and presenting all of the content from all of their users. There is value in that. You can't do it independent of their platform.

It's an exchange. You add value in the form of your contributed content, and you receive value back in the form of everyone else's content, organized and made easily accessible.

FYI I'm a technology entrepreneur, online since dial up with Unix shell accounts and one of the first users of Mosaic. I've consulted on the design of many of the communities that have defined these principles were discussing, so your attempt at sarcasm is particularly misdirected and, to be frank, humorous.

Open source and UCG are not the same thing. Yes they cross paths here and there, but they are fundamentally different. And open source is not equivalent to not-for-profit either.

So your proposed business model is not for profit open source. You're free to sit around waiting (and I expect it will be a loooong wait) for someone to develop that as an alternative. Me, I'm comfortable handing over some very arcane personally identifying information in exchange for the value I receive in return. I'm very familiar with how personally identifying information circulates on the internet. It is indeed alarming and I make a conscious and diligent effort to keep mine private and out of circulation. But this is one instance where I'm not concerned with the bargain that is struck. To each their own.
I don't have to wait, I will use open source sQuiddo on OpenCPN which is available now.

And don't pull the I'm more knowledgeable pissing contest with me. I started coding at age 11 in 1983.
Old 20-10-2017, 09:54   #74

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
I don't have to wait, I will use open source sQuiddo on OpenCPN which is available now.

And don't pull the I'm more knowledgeable pissing contest with me. I started coding at age 11 in 1983.
I was just responding to your condescending sarcasm. I'm not going to prolong this. Good luck with your solution.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 10:58   #75

I reread my last response and don't see any condescending sarcasm, but it's a convenient way for you to not respond to my example of something you claim is impossible. Good luck with your solution too.

Tags
captain