Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2023, 14:41   #3901

Re: The 2021 & 2022 & 2023 Joke Threads

I was sailing my boat when a massive hand rose out of the water and then slowly disappeared.

I thought, "Thats the biggest wave I’ve ever seen."
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 14:43   #3902

Highway to Hawaii

A man comes walking on the beach and finds a bottle. He picks it up and removes the stopper. Out of the bottle comes the Spirit of the Lamp. "Thank you for letting me out, I have been locked up for 140 years. I would like to give you the opportunity to have a wish fulfilled"

"Thank you, I've always wanted to visit Hawaii, but I'm afraid of flying and I get terribly seasick from sailing. Could you make a highway to Hawaii?"

"Certainly, but do you really want me to throw millions of tons of soil into the sea, affect ocean currents and wildlife, make it necessary to change shipping routes and much more? Is it conceivable that you have another big wish that I could fullfill instead ?"

The man thinks for a moment and then he says "Indeed I have, I have always wanted to be able to understand women"

Deep sigh from Spirit of the Lamp "4 lanes or 6 lanes?"
Old 07-05-2023, 08:35   #3903

Memory lane video for us older persons:

Old 07-05-2023, 08:42   #3904

Hey, I resemble that remark!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Weird ****.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	275092  
Old 07-05-2023, 08:54   #3905

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Re felling old

When I was running a small restaurant I was looking at a job application and noticed the applicant stated she was born in 1970.

1970???????`

wait a second, I graduated high school that year year, how can she be old enough to be looking for work? What year is this?

god I'm old - I can also remember when pocket calculators came into existence and I'm on of those old fogies who actually knew how to use a slide rule.

I also remember buying gas for my car when I was in high school - 15 cents per gallon and the attendant cleaned my windshield and checked my oil for free

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 14:54   #3906

Boat: Mirage 35

So, speaking of being old ... in spite of what you might expect my sex drive is actually higher than it used to be.

It's all in my head now.
Old 07-05-2023, 16:30   #3907

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Which head?

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 07-05-2023, 16:31   #3908
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Organizing a date with a girl....back in the day....was serious business...requiring many co-operative friends to lay the ground work, scope out the parental territory and to get a sense if the chick in question was likely to say yes or no..... and scribbling love notes with a lot of XXXX's on them to be casually passed along, not in person, but via a highly convoluted and planned manner to disguise the identity of the sender.

Going to the movies and holding hands in the dark was considered a riske move.

Parents typically waited up and stood by the door on your return, jinxing any thought you might have for a late night kiss.

A follow up date took weeks and agonizing weeks to arrange. More planning, scheming, and huddles with friends to determine of the chick liked you...and how much she liked you.

Second date would follow more or less the same pattern as the first, with "accidental" bumping into each other. Placing your arm around the chick's shoulders was a extraordinary brave move.

I can go on.......sound familiar ???
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 20:10   #3909

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Organizing a date with a girl....back in the day....was serious business...requiring many co-operative friends to lay the ground work, scope out the parental territory and to get a sense if the chick in question was likely to say yes or no..... and scribbling love notes with a lot of XXXX's on them to be casually passed along, not in person, but via a highly convoluted and planned manner to disguise the identity of the sender.

Going to the movies and holding hands in the dark was considered a riske move.

Parents typically waited up and stood by the door on your return, jinxing any thought you might have for a late night kiss.

A follow up date took weeks and agonizing weeks to arrange. More planning, scheming, and huddles with friends to determine of the chick liked you...and how much she liked you.

Second date would follow more or less the same pattern as the first, with "accidental" bumping into each other. Placing your arm around the chick's shoulders was a extraordinary brave move.

I can go on.......sound familiar ???

It only sounds familiar if you are an old fart - like me (sigh)

Old 07-05-2023, 23:17   #3910

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
It only sounds familiar if you are an old fart - like me (sigh)
EXCUSE ME, I resemble that remark.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 03:40   #3911
Marine Service Provider

I've come to the conclusion that most posters that hang out here on this cruising forum are old farts...
Old 08-05-2023, 04:25   #3912

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
I've come to the conclusion that most posters that hang out here on this cruising forum are old farts...
I think that goes for forums in general. The younger crowd seems to hop onto whatever the latest social media platform trend is this week.

Slightly older and they're still hanging on to Facebook.

Beyond that age, and some of us still remember a time before algorithms were constantly feeding users "engaging" content. We tend to seek out places where we can write (remember writing?) and read about topics of our choice.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 07:00   #3913
Marine Service Provider

Interesting comment and it brings back another long lost memory....cursive writing...with a fountain pen no les...I guess that more or less defines my age...I remember being given a fountain pen as gift (yep, that was considered a mighty fancy gift) with a gold plated nib no less.....that made me a notable man (boy) to be recognized...I'd wear that thang in my shirt pocket, as a badge of honor...

Oh lord, and using copy paper...that blue/black lined thingy....you'd stick between two sheets of paper..high tech for it's time..

these days, any writing, is pounding a keyboard....pick a font....any font..

I took off to see the world on a boat I built myself....no gps....no fridge...no radar....no generator....no a/c.....no money.....not much of anything.....still used baggy wrinkle on my lower shrouds...

Lordy, I'm really aging myself..I'll stop now....
Old 09-05-2023, 17:10   #3914

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	barrel motor.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	259.8 KB
ID:	275177  
Old 13-05-2023, 18:53   #3915

Quote:
Interesting comment and it brings back another long lost memory....cursive writing...with a fountain pen no les...I guess that more or less defines my age...I remember being given a fountain pen as gift (yep, that was considered a mighty fancy gift) with a gold plated nib no less.....that made me a notable man (boy) to be recognized...I'd wear that thang in my shirt pocket, as a badge of honor...

Oh lord, and using copy paper...that blue/black lined thingy....you'd stick between two sheets of paper..high tech for it's time..

these days, any writing, is pounding a keyboard....pick a font....any font..

I took off to see the world on a boat I built myself....no gps....no fridge...no radar....no generator....no a/c.....no money.....not much of anything.....still used baggy wrinkle on my lower shrouds...

Lordy, I'm really aging myself..I'll stop now....

Carbon paper boy you are old...Oh wait I used that. And a fountain pen too ( required for school) hay wait this isnt funny any more..
justlearnin is offline   Reply With Quote