Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 18-05-2010, 07:57   #331

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
THE 100th MEMBER JUST JOINED

I just wanted to give a big welcome to our new members. Hope all is well with everyone.
Cheers,
Erika
Old 18-05-2010, 08:29   #332

Send a message via Yahoo to woodymr
Sailwoody

Thanks Ocean Girl, Doing fine, restoring a '76 Columbia 9.6 for sea duty. Hope all is well for all and Best Wishes. Oh, any fine lady that is interested in living and helping on a project boat in the yard on stilts even, with an ole hippie (Happy,Intelligent,Person,Pursuing,Infinite,Enligh tenment) contact me and show that upon completing a thorough mental evaluation you are of sound mind for doing so. Thanks and Peace
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	me.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	16218   Click image for larger version

Name:	my boat.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	16219  

Old 18-05-2010, 20:05   #333

Boat: SJ23 1988
Hi OGirl!

Thanks for starting this! I've been on many a "internet" date.... can't say it's worked very well. I think there is a real need for a common link. Something to generate interest that is deep set in our persona.

I'll post my Bio when I get a chance and am approved to do so.

Someone will have to inform me as to how to post a pic... I've got several sailing pictures that I'd like to share... Alas non of me sailing.... I single hand my little SJ23.

But when I find my next boat, a partner will be great!

Cheers and all the best to all here.
Old 18-05-2010, 20:18   #334
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
FxdGrMind ... your nickname is driving me nuts. It's like one of those vanity plates that gets in your brain because you can't make heads nor tail out of it. How is it pronounced and what does it mean? Oh yeah and welcome!

Old 18-05-2010, 20:59   #335
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Fixed Your Mind? Psychiatrist Psychologist?
Old 18-05-2010, 21:25   #336

Hi FwdGrMind,
You are plugged into the group (thanks for your patience, I work long hours). Is a SJ23 a j boat? Yes, we love pictures, especially if it has a sailboat in it .

Cheers,
Erika
Old 19-05-2010, 05:45   #337

Ok, heres the "Scuttle but" on my moniker.

FxdGrMind (fixed gear mind). I used it for the first time on a Cycling web site as I thought it appropriate as I ride a fixed gear bike and just love it!

But over the years it's become more. Guess I'm more of a singular thinker, one train of thought at a time, one task, one dream. So as I began thinking of my future the more and more it became my thought process.

For me it represents the focus, determination and plan I've created for myself.

My plan is now nearly 2.5 yrs in the works and with 1.5 left, solidly in the works. My last day of work will be Jan 2012. Some home projects will take place that year, while I continue to search for the elusive "Bigger boat". Cast off is scheduled for 2013, pending accuisition of "Bigger boat". Then the first trip of a lifetime. It's a test for me. Decisions will follow that.

Hope that helps thouse of you frustrated by the moniker.

As for pict's... someone will have to instruct me as to how to post them. I may work with computer s/w but the s/w I work with has nothing in comon with the PC stuff here.
Old 19-05-2010, 05:48   #338

Oh forgot..... DOH!

SJ23 is a SanJuan 23' sailboat. 1988 and one of only 2 built with a winged keel and the last one. It's a great day-sailor! If I were shorter it would be more, but I have to open the hatch to stand up and that creates problems here in the PNW .... I don't need a daily shower every time I stand up.... =)
Old 19-05-2010, 06:53   #339

Last night I was just drifting off to sleep thinking ..what the heck is a SJ? Sj..SJ..ahhh San Juan!
I am not the person to teach how to get a pic up. I upload to my album, then cut and paste..I am sure there is an easier way. Woodymr has it down, tell us your secret woody. BTW columbias are one of my favorite boats, though I say that about a hundred other boats too. I love the 34 ft flush deck, not the prettiest boat and those big decks are prone to rot, but she is a great design and I love a clean deck to work on.

Hummingway and chief, whats the story behind your names. I can guess about both but I bet it is an interesting story so would love to hear it, this might make a good thread(?). I am off to work, have a great day.
Cheers,
Erika
Old 19-05-2010, 07:40   #340
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Hummingway and chief, whats the story behind your names. I can guess about both but I bet it is an interesting story so would love to hear it, this might make a good thread(?). I am off to work, have a great day.
Cheers,
Erika
Something to read when you get off work:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...mes-41058.html

Old 19-05-2010, 09:04   #341

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
FxdGrMind - assuming you are looking for a new "first mate" of the distaff gender I would suggest to you that during your search for that "bigger boat" you make sure it contains at a minimum the following:
- modern galley with large refrigerator/freezer
- two heads with showers in each
- a V-berth with lots of hanging locker space and drawers for clothes, etc.
- a Main berth separate from the V-berth for your stuff - Or reverse that for boats with the main berth in the bow - a separate cabin with lots of storage for "her stuff."
- a reliable watermaker
These suggestions are based on decades of cycling new first mates trying to find one who can be happy/content in the compressed environment of a sailing vessel.
- - Of course, if your budget can afford it a catamaran is a "sure thing" for a happy relationship with your prospective first mate.
- - Of the 7 billion people on this planet there are maybe 7 females that can live happily in a perpetual state of "camping out." All the rest expect and need reasonable space and comforts.
Old 19-05-2010, 09:58   #342

Alas... according to the singles site, E-Harmony thing'y, my soul mate is so rare a woman that they couldn't help.... One in 300K.... according to the Questionair....

The lists you have are for a boat that I don't see being a "Singlehander".... Alas that would put it off my charts for what I'm looking for.

I do understand the need for "Storage", but that's why I live on 5 acres and have a garage that is big enough to store all my "Toy's" (Tractor, implements, race car (in-work), and my current sail boat on tandem trailor... all at the same time. This is soon to be increased in size and will then exceed my house in size....

But I'll be happy to look at any boat with all your recomendations, as I still love to look at "Fancy" stuff!
Old 19-05-2010, 10:30   #343

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
- -I have been single-handing a 60footer for 10 years and it is not difficult. Others have done the same with even larger boats.
- - The 5 items I listed are available in boats down to 40 feet and if you eliminate the dual heads you can find the rest in boats down to 30 feet.
- - The intent of my post is to plan ahead to accommodate the needs and desires of a number of woman exceeding 7 in 7 billion. This enables you a explore a much larger field of candidates to find a suitable partner. What we men think is necessary for basic living is very different from "their" ideas. Planing ahead by removing impediments to their comfort/necessities of life pays enormous dividends in keeping a happy relationship alive for extended periods of time.
- - In other words, add to your list of desirable attributes in a "bigger boat" items that are critical to the needs of a future "her."
Old 19-05-2010, 12:00   #344

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
- -I have been single-handing a 60footer for 10 years and it is not difficult. Others have done the same with even larger boats.
- - The 5 items I listed are available in boats down to 40 feet and if you eliminate the dual heads you can find the rest in boats down to 30 feet.
- - The intent of my post is to plan ahead to accommodate the needs and desires of a number of woman exceeding 7 in 7 billion. This enables you a explore a much larger field of candidates to find a suitable partner. What we men think is necessary for basic living is very different from "their" ideas. Planing ahead by removing impediments to their comfort/necessities of life pays enormous dividends in keeping a happy relationship alive for extended periods of time.
- - In other words, add to your list of desirable attributes in a "bigger boat" items that are critical to the needs of a future "her."
Oh Lordy, Osiris....I've been reading your (mostly apt and wise) posts for some time but here, I think, you're being just "too nice"! Surely the idea is to get the boat that you want and are happy and confident in . Then the partner will eventually fall into place, No? If he/she doesnt like the set up then that eliminates him/her. And anyway, if you've been single-handing for the last 10 years, I reckon that there's a lot more to contend with than just "a nice boat"......??? (sitting in "the Pub" in Road Town, mild tropical wave passing through, gently prepping a Bene39 for Northwards delivery....aint technology fun eh?) Tony
Old 19-05-2010, 12:20   #345

Oh Lordy is RIGHT!!! OMG! Osiris.... a 60footer!!!! Single handed!!! EEEK!

I may own a sailboat now and looking for a bigger one that solves my head room issues...

Your expertiese in sailing is far beyond mine dear sir! Without a crew, alas I'd be in a world of hurt on a 60' boat. Granted life on the hook in a 60footer would be "GLORIOUS!" The room, the life... the "STYLE"! Yowsers!

I'm officialy green with envy of your ability to handle 60 feet of sailboat! Just don't think that's in the deck they stacked me with.

Cheers and fair winds!
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising companion, love, single, soul mate