Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2021, 07:48   #1966

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Science & Technology News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Are you equating us with the organisms of 2 billion years ago? Even I don't have that low an opinion of humanity.

Comprehension escapes you. I was stating that anyone thinks that climate change is up there with the greatest ecological disasters of the last 2 billion years then they're probably crazy.
Old 28-06-2021, 07:56   #1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Comprehension escapes you. I was stating that anyone thinks that climate change is up there with the greatest ecological disasters of the last 2 billion years then they're probably crazy.
The older I get, it seems the more life threatening disasters I have survived.

That fact reduces my panic level considerably, whenever a new one comes along.
Old 28-06-2021, 08:52   #1968
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Here is something new to look at
https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/7/26/eabe6102

And this news article from this morning
https://www.severe-weather.eu/news/n...s-forecast-fa/

Interesting that their study is being proven and it's not man .
Old 28-06-2021, 09:01   #1969
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Another living fossil has been found
https://www.livescience.com/amp/pig-...ttle-star.html
Old 28-06-2021, 10:33   #1970

Quote:

Well, I haven't asserted that, ever... so yeah it's even clearer that you're arguing with something other than what I've said.
Old 28-06-2021, 10:40   #1971

Quote:
That's utter rubbish. While Greta's followers are all in group therapy treating their climate depression my grand kids can sort out the recycling like pros, ride push bikes to school and know that asking for a straw places them at extreme risk of copping an extended lecture on why straws are bad for the environment, m'kay.
... which does about d1ck for tackling the big problems, but good on them anyway. Maybe they'll take that attitude into adulthood, and finally elect people with the same vision who might actually make a difference.
Old 28-06-2021, 11:08   #1972

Boat: O'Day 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
It’s not denial, it’s being realistic. As advertised by climate change alarmists like yourself, a warming climate is bad for some people, but it’s also a good thing for some people who live in higher latitudes. Just pointing out that ALL consequences of climate change aren’t bad. You should ask yourself why are you so determined to remain in denial of that obvious truth? Does it conflict with a religious dogma that you’re committed to? BTW, I can see that climate change has a negative impact on some people. Why can’t you see that the opposite is also true? Quite ironic that it was you who mentioned being blinkered!
"I'm alright Jack, so to hell with the rest of you".

How incredibly self centred. Not even everyone in Maine dislikes the snow. How are you more important than those who enjoy skiing, snowmobiling etc?

Then there are the hundreds of millions of people living in areas that will be flooded more and more frequently as sea levels rise.

What about the hundreds of millions who can no longer grow enough to feed themselves, even though a decade ago they were growing enough to sell?

You might change your outlook when the migration from the drying tropics pushes north.
Old 28-06-2021, 11:12   #1973
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post

How incredibly self centred. Not even everyone in Maine dislikes the snow. How are you more important than those who enjoy skiing, snowmobiling etc?

Then there are the hundreds of millions of people living in areas that will be flooded more and more frequently as sea levels rise.

What about the hundreds of millions who can no longer grow enough to feed themselves, even though a decade ago they were growing enough to sell?

You might change your outlook when the migration from the drying tropics pushes north.
Give it a few years and things will settle out and stabilize as the current ramp up to solar maximum ( cycle 25 ) then will go all wavy just like it is now in about 9 or 10 years.
Old 28-06-2021, 11:48   #1974
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

I am no climate change denier but I do have a different take on it. It appears to me that the entities responsible for our ecosystem's destruction are using a crash and burn approach. After they finish raping and scarring the earth to maximum potential they plan to appear to save the day with technology. This is what the so called Great Reset and green agenda are up to. We are in the process of enabling the wickedest corporations on earth who have pushed us to the brink of destruction to pick up the pieces and restructure society as they see fit. They have many tricks up their sleeves. I believe that they have been experimenting with manipulating the weather for a long time and have become very good at it. They are now using it to sell their agenda. Man made climate change is very real. And they are making damn sure of it. These same evil players, after we are all finally convinced, will appear to have a solution.
Climate change deniers are right about one thing though; that we are being manipulated and lied to.
Some of you here will try to have a field day with my theory, try to say that we don't manipulate the weather, try to say there is no evil cabal controlling the world, etc.
I am entitled to my opinion so please try not to resort to your usual insulting, ridiculing tactics. I don't need proof to have an opinion. I see the proof all around me. I can find scientific evidence if I look, but will be also be led down a rabbit hole. Sorry to disappoint those of you that thought I would be a climate change denier. Sorry to inform you climate change deniers that we really are on the brink of self destruction. Welcome to the re-set.
Old 28-06-2021, 16:24   #1975

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
The warmth of a house on fire could be quite pleasant in the icy grip of a Maine February, but I would still bet that most homeowners in Maine have taken precautions to reduce the chances of that happening.

(...could it be that the negative effects of climate change outweigh the positives, when everything is considered?)

Yes, as I said before, it could well be true and I imagine it is in some areas, but not in Maine or other harsh climates that are moderating a bit. For us, it’s almost all positive.

Sorry, but your house burning analogy seems pretty silly. Al Gore told us the planet had a fever and now you compare a barely measurable change in average temperature to a house on fire. All either of you accomplish when you engage in such hyperbole is to make yourself look foolish because everyone knows that nothing like a fever or a house burning down is happening. The climate has always changed snd continues to, and since we’re all in this together and have no possibility of that change not continuing, our time would be much better spent talking about how best to adapt to it rather than trying to assign blame or on spending billions on half baked, feel good schemes to prevent the inevitable.
Old 28-06-2021, 16:28   #1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
...The climate has always changed snd continues to, and since we’re all in this together and have no possibility of that change not continuing, our time would be much better spent talking about how best to adapt to it rather than trying to assign blame or on spending billions on half baked, feel good schemes to prevent the inevitable.
Please spend just a second to tell us why the warming caused by our dumping so much CO2 into the atmosphere is "inevitable".
Old 28-06-2021, 18:44   #1977
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Please spend just a second to tell us why the warming caused by our dumping so much CO2 into the atmosphere is "inevitable".
Really not that much co2 compared to other natural sources.
Old 28-06-2021, 18:46   #1978
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The warmth of a house on fire could be quite pleasant in the icy grip of a Maine February, but I would still bet that most homeowners in Maine have taken precautions to reduce the chances of that happening.

(...could it be that the negative effects of climate change outweigh the positives, when everything is considered?)
https://climatereanalyzer.org/wx/DailySummary/#t2anom

Not warming anywhere near what the MMGWC alarmists want you to believe
Old 28-06-2021, 18:52   #1979

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post

That’s not even close to what I said. I can sympathize with people who live in an area where climate change negatively affects them. But just want to point out that these negative impacts don’t happen everywhere, and in some areas a warming climate is seen as a welcome change by most people.

I AM both a skier and have a very nice snowmobile in a covered trailer about 100’ from where I sit right now. I enjoy playing in the cold but I enjoy things like a longer sailing season more. We used to snowmobile near where I live but now rarely have enough snow, so I drive to Greenville or Millinocket and get on the vast trail systems they have developed, fun!. See how easy it was for me to ADAPT! [emoji4]

By the time it gets so warm that there’s a big northward migration I’m sure I’ll be 6’ under that migration and just like all the migrations that came before, those who are taking part will see it as an adventure and a way to improve their lives and many . They’ll be fine, and maybe my descendants will stay here enjoying the warmer weather, or maybe they’ll opt to move further north where it’s colder and snowier, to each their own.
Old 29-06-2021, 02:07   #1980

What it will take to achieve affordable carbon removal
  • Two companies are designing direct-air-capture plants to yearly bury 1 million tons of CO2 beneath the floor of the North Sea
  • The sequestered climate pollution will be sold as carbon credits
  • Climate researchers say the world may need to remove billions of tons of carbon dioxide annually
  • The critical and unanswered question is how much direct air capture will cost
  • The companies have a target cost of between $94 and $232 per ton
  • $100 per ton is essentially the point of economic viability, as large US customers generally pay $65 to $110 for carbon dioxide used for commercial purposes
  • One study estimates that the direct-air-capture industry will need to grow by a factor of a little more than 300 in order to achieve costs of $100 a ton
Closed Thread

Tags
enc