Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2013, 16:15   #1

Boat: OEM, proportional
Reality is approaching fast....

Please, let's keep poleeticks out of this thread. It's no use arguing who did it or why, or what they could have done better/worse or how to fix it....it is unfixable. The point of this thread is to get you to take a look at the writing on the wall and think hard about what you are going to really do when the cowpats finally contact the fan blades.

The man from Canuckistan makes some sobering statements in this clip, and while I disagree with his philosophy of anarchism and his misguided faith that he and his likeminded compatriots will make a success of his suggested post-collapse refuge, his warning of a sudden crash is valid...and this is what requires action starting now.

Whatever your reasons for cruising are now, keep in mind that a very compelling one might one day soon be forced upon you that will assist greatly in modifying today's cruiserish list of wants and felt needs to a more modest and essential one where colour of hull and all modcons is no longer relevant.

Not being a chickenlittle, just want to help others in better positions to get out from under the hammer if at all possible. I'm 1000km inland in a morass of potential trouble, and several years from an actionable seagoing escape route; so permit me the small comfort of being able to think someone somewhere sometime might be able to look back and say "thanks micah, hope your cell isn't too awful and that you catch a tasty rat to spice up your gruel with", as they sail free. Just thought I'd take this little time to say it now, because once the crash starts there won't be time to speak or listen. Go to it, and may God be with you.

Old 30-01-2013, 16:28   #2

I sincerely hope reality is approaching you fast. Reality is already an everyday thing for most of us. Our only hope is that it reaches you and your like thinkers soon.
Old 30-01-2013, 16:30   #3

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
Re: Reality is approaching fast....

"The man from Canuckistan makes some sobering statements in this clip,..."

What did he say in a "Cliff's notes" sort of way. I have a slow connection so no video ability right now.
Old 30-01-2013, 16:35   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
What did he say in a "Cliff's notes" sort of way. I have a slow connection so no video ability right now.
Guy with bad haircut. Gets worse from there. He has a problem with facts. And a bigger problem with analysis. You are missing nothing.
Old 30-01-2013, 16:40   #5

Ok, a summary for the video-less is; for those with eyes to see and ears to hear, there is and will be no recovery and there is a monumental reset coming for the failed economic system. It will be a great upheaval and very dangerous. No telling exactly when, he thinks it might be a couple of years yet. But when it does happen, it will be messy and very fast. So, the time to prepare is now, and the best bet on surviving is to get away from under the house of cards. He thinks it will start with Japan, but since Eurolalaland and the US are neck and neck in the race over the cliff, it's moot where it starts...important thing is, be a good boy scout and be prepared in advance. Diversify your holdings, and concentrate on holding on to what you have. This is not a time for gain, just minimising losses. And yes, I speak to a minority, and don't mind the ridicule I will invariably get from the rest.
Old 30-01-2013, 16:45   #6

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

He is loaded drunk....
Old 30-01-2013, 17:00   #7

Nope, stone cold sober. For all my jests about rum and whatnot, I never drink to excess. It's simple really....what happens when we can't borrow ourselves out of debt anymore? Think the creditors will forget about their, er, "investment"?. Defaulters will eventually pay, and this bill is big. Somehow, all our names got signed to it, too...
Old 30-01-2013, 17:09   #8

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

I'm ok.

Worked in 2012, will work again.
Old 30-01-2013, 17:13   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
Please, let's keep poleeticks out of this thread. It's no use arguing who did it or why, or what they could have done better/worse or how to fix it....it is unfixable. The point of this thread is to get you to take a look at the writing on the wall and think hard about what you are going to really do when the cowpats finally contact the fan blades.

The man from Canuckistan makes some sobering statements in this clip, and while I disagree with his philosophy of anarchism and his misguided faith that he and his likeminded compatriots will make a success of his suggested post-collapse refuge, his warning of a sudden crash is valid...and this is what requires action starting now.

Whatever your reasons for cruising are now, keep in mind that a very compelling one might one day soon be forced upon you that will assist greatly in modifying today's cruiserish list of wants and felt needs to a more modest and essential one where colour of hull and all modcons is no longer relevant.

Not being a chickenlittle, just want to help others in better positions to get out from under the hammer if at all possible. I'm 1000km inland in a morass of potential trouble, and several years from an actionable seagoing escape route; so permit me the small comfort of being able to think someone somewhere sometime might be able to look back and say "thanks micah, hope your cell isn't too awful and that you catch a tasty rat to spice up your gruel with", as they sail free. Just thought I'd take this little time to say it now, because once the crash starts there won't be time to speak or listen. Go to it, and may God be with you.

I knew back in July you had this "tendency"!..ha ha ..I didnt even bother with the video..
Old 30-01-2013, 17:20   #10

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
Nope, stone cold sober. For all my jests about rum and whatnot, I never drink to excess. It's simple really....what happens when we can't borrow ourselves out of debt anymore? Think the creditors will forget about their, er, "investment"?. Defaulters will eventually pay, and this bill is big. Somehow, all our names got signed to it, too...
I didn't mean you.......I meant the guy in the video...
Old 30-01-2013, 17:24   #11

Boat: Lagoon 440

One man's opinion, i'm sure he is ready to do the lecture circuit pushing his negativity, good luck to him, as Sammy said 'Hit the road Daddy there's a million pigeons waiting to be hooked on new religions'....
Old 30-01-2013, 17:25   #12

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
Please, let's keep poleeticks out of this thread.
OK, let's talk about guns, anchors, and lithium ion batteries instead.
Old 30-01-2013, 17:38   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

I went back and watched the tape and quite when they asked him about some kind of an"organic community"...Right before that comment he said that the thing to do was get "gold and silver"...He is a Russian agent!
Old 30-01-2013, 17:46   #14

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
OK, let's talk about guns, anchors, and lithium ion batteries instead.
And don't leave out diggers with rastafans in french jails!!!
Old 30-01-2013, 17:55   #15

The fool wants to live in a community based on the ideas in Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged". That is a fictional love story. A good one. But basing your life on it makes as much sense as basing your life on "Alice in Wonderland". Oh wait ...
Closed Thread