Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2021, 22:35   #1

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Oh dear, what happened to the joke thread?

Hey I for one got some great laughs, chuckles and even at times guffaws from the joke thread, which now is locked. Please, what happened??

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Old 06-05-2021, 02:32   #2

Re: Oh dear, what happened to the joke thread?

Wasn't it up to 15,000 posts? If you read the very first post, perhaps like the first joke thread, the "new joke thread" (read: second) may have just gotten unwieldy.

The New Joke Thread
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ad-145284.html

Maybe start a new one...?
Old 06-05-2021, 04:29   #3

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

What always seems to happen to joke threads on forums.

1) Someone takes offense at some depiction of a group, ethnicity, gender, species, whatever.

2) Someone takes a bunch of stale, old jokes, replaces the protagonist with a current political figure, and starts a firestorm of partisan bickering.

3) Too many people can't accept that what may seem funny to you, may not to me, and just get over it.

I don't envy the moderators of such threads. Clearly there IS a line between humor and hurling turds at your political opponents, and between humor and being demeaning. But I'd be hard pressed to define it. It's one of those "you'll know it when you see it" things.
Old 06-05-2021, 04:31   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

I stopped reading because it had more debates about the "joke" than it have jokes.

Is "the new joke thread" closed?
Old 06-05-2021, 04:57   #5

Boat: Mirage 35

Hmm - noticed that there were no new jokes; hadn't realized it was closed. (Need more coffee.)

I for one had pretty well given up on it anyway - between the politics and the infighting it wasn't often funny lately.
Old 06-05-2021, 05:14   #6

I enjoyed stopping by and reading the jokes on this thread. Some I even told my colleagues at work
Old 06-05-2021, 06:44   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Oh dear, what happened to the joke thread?

It became 'Agenda' driven... to many politically driven copy and paste cartoons pushing Lefty opinions and not enough of these..

A college student wanted to sit next to one of his teachers at lunch.
However, the teacher looked at the student with an arrogant face and said:

‘A swan shan’t be friends with a pig.’

‘Then I shall fly on,’ answered the student with a smile.

The teacher was clearly vexed by the cheeky reply and decided to make sure to do everything in his power to fail the student.

At the oral exam, he gave the student the hardest questions, but the student had amazing answers for everything. Therefore, hoping he could still fail his victim, the teacher asked him a trickier question:

‘You’re walking on a road and you find two bags. One contains gold, the other cleverness. Which bag do you choose?’

‘The gold.’

‘Unfortunately, I don’t agree. I’d choose cleverness because that’s more important than money.’

‘Everyone would choose what they don’t have,’ says the student.

The teacher turns red, and he’s so angry he writes “ass” on the student’s paper. The student leaves without looking at the paper. However, he returns shortly, gives back his paper and says:

‘Excuse me sir, you signed my paper, but you forgot to give me my grade!’

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 06-05-2021, 06:52   #8

Boat: Rafiki 37

Humour is hard at the best of times. In the digital world, so much subtlety is lost in translation. Add in the very real cultural and demographic differences we all bring to this international forum, and it's a wonder the thread lasted as long as it did.
Old 06-05-2021, 08:13   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Is toothpaste an acceptable subject for CF?

I have sensitive teeth.
Even me just saying that offends them.

I bought a new ‘extra sensitive’ toothpaste the other day.
It’s doesn’t work any better. It just sits in the shower and cries.

Q: If Colgate toothpaste kills 99.9% of bacteria in the mouth, what does Colgate sensitive do?
A: It kills 99.9%, without hurting their feelings.

Old 06-05-2021, 09:50   #10
CLOD

Boat: none

just goes to show you that just like sailors, 0.01% of bacteria aren't sensitive
Old 06-05-2021, 09:54   #11

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
It became 'Agenda' driven... to many politically driven copy and paste cartoons pushing Lefty opinions and not enough of these..

However, the teacher looked at the student with an arrogant face and said:

‘A swan shan’t be friends with a pig.’

‘Then I shall fly on,’ answered the student with a smile.

The teacher was clearly vexed by the cheeky reply and decided to make sure to do everything in his power to fail the student.

At the oral exam, he gave the student the hardest questions, but the student had amazing answers for everything. Therefore, hoping he could still fail his victim, the teacher asked him a trickier question:

‘You’re walking on a road and you find two bags. One contains gold, the other cleverness. Which bag do you choose?’

‘The gold.’

‘Unfortunately, I don’t agree. I’d choose cleverness because that’s more important than money.’

‘Everyone would choose what they don’t have,’ says the student.

The teacher turns red, and he’s so angry he writes “ass” on the student’s paper. The student leaves without looking at the paper. However, he returns shortly, gives back his paper and says:

‘Excuse me sir, you signed my paper, but you forgot to give me my grade!’
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Old 06-05-2021, 09:57   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

However, the teacher looked at the student with an arrogant face and said:...

Needed that laugh, well string of laughs, this morning!

Later,
Dan
Old 06-05-2021, 10:46   #13

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

To answer the OP, I posted jokes and puns for a while. However, one of my last posts was this,

"Let's see...pissing on the French, hairy legs plus, MREs, happiness that a elderly person got COVID, methinks it's a pretty grime joke thread with a dearth of jokes. Perhaps we should change the title of the thread. Personally I think I will give the thread a rest."

In a way, there were a number of anxious CF members that used the thread to post non-funny, self affirming, boorish insights into their personal thoughts thus ruining the thread for folks that only wanted a daily laugh.

I suspect some variation of this reasoning is why other regular posters gave it up.
Old 06-05-2021, 12:56   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
... I suspect some variation of this reasoning is why other regular posters gave it up.
I can assure you, the thread wasn't given up, by it's users - it was closed, by Administration.
I was probably one of the main offenders. My apologies, to all.

Old 06-05-2021, 14:26   #15

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
What always seems to happen to joke threads on forums.

1) Someone takes offense at some depiction of a group, ethnicity, gender, species, whatever.

2) Someone takes a bunch of stale, old jokes, replaces the protagonist with a current political figure, and starts a firestorm of partisan bickering.

3) Too many people can't accept that what may seem funny to you, may not to me, and just get over it.

I don't envy the moderators of such threads. Clearly there IS a line between humor and hurling turds at your political opponents, and between humor and being demeaning. But I'd be hard pressed to define it. It's one of those "you'll know it when you see it" things.
Capt Tom has just about nailed it.

Well, guys, the issue is under discussion. Has been, for days, and it is ongoing.
I am a regular reader of the Joke Thread, and it had been (note, use of past tense) popular. It also drew a lot of complaints. Furthermore, if the rules are to be changed, or the existing ones enforced they would take some very smart defining, relative to what is too much. I'd like to thank Capt Tom for explaining the dilemma so well. A rule has to be easily understood and followed, and therefore, very clearly written. The partisans seem to be unwilling to accept ir ignore jokes that offend them. For a bunch of volunteer moderators, the abovementioned "firestorm of bickering" is just about right.

Moderation, to work, requires the cooperation of people who are moderated, and it has been seeming as if some folks were bringing civil disobedience to the forum as a policy.

I have no idea at this point how long the discussion will go on or if we will ever have a joke thread again here.

Ann