Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2021, 09:58   #31

Re: Oh dear, what happened to the joke thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winf View Post
Good grief!

Regular visitor to the joke thread. Some great stuff there. Has given many a laugh or smile. Has given to many others also outside of this forum well. I often have used items from there as a "funny" to pass on to friends, family and coworkers. Im sure I'm not the only one. Guess how things go "viral." What a small spark of welcome relief.

Like every other thread, if I started to read something that wasn't a joke, was a gripe about a joke, or wasn't interesting to me, I just...stopped....reading.

It was not difficult to discern that jokes from certain posters or certain series of cartoons posted were not funny to me. So...I...skipped...them.

If it was to descend into a den of poor taste or vulgarity that was not to my taste, I...wouldn't...open...it.

No one compels you to get get upset over some unknown person somewhere in the world typing something you don't agree with or like. Thats your choice.

Just like it is my choice to type this post. Read it. Agree with it. Object to it. Disparage it. Flame it. I...don't...care. If I want to engage, react or respond to any of those responses that is my choice.

It's just an internet forum.

Grow up folks.
Exactly!

Most jokes make fun of some group or another. There is always some potential for someone to be offended - but it's their choice to play the offended victim card and constantly whine about this or that or everything.

I'll be honest here. I was a moderator on The Diesel Page and even though people claim moderating is a thankless job - it's not. If you enforce the rules equally, every single time, and are completely transparent about it, you WILL get thanked for doing your job without bias, especially from those who were given a few chances to grow up and finally got a week long suspension that they really deserved.

That website has a joke thread that was started prior to 2000 and from what I recall, we NEVER got any complaints about the jokes. The jokes were not limited in content or poor taste, so if you didn't like it, you were told to not read them.

The other off road website I still frequent had a HUGE joke thread that was started 20 yrs ago, I borrowed a lot of jokes from there but over half of the jokes from there were either too brutal, too political, too honest or too racial to be posted here on this website. Again, not one single complaint about the jokes on that site. There were a lot of jokes too - they averaged 5 or more pages per day.

To put it another way, of all of the websites I've been on, some of the members of this website complain more than any other website, ever. They also argue more about mono hull vs multi-hull, anchor type, electrical - you name it, there's an argument about it. Far beyond anything I've seen anywhere else. There ARE people on this site who truly are experts in their fields, yet completely ignorant people continue to argue with them - it's mind blowing!

As far as GordMay's posts, I didn't find them offensive, but I often wondered why the rules were not enforced on him. Conversely, I was sent an email and blamed for SOMEONE ELSE's tasteless post. Take a wild guess how something like that happens. One guess might be that the moderation team were so overwhelmed with constant complaints they couldn't keep track of who posted what and what crossed the line.

I did enjoy the joke thread when actual jokes were posted vs long excursions into pedantry and obscure topics. I contributed jokes to it because I wanted to give back rather than just get a chuckle now and then, but Jesus did it come with an unbelievable amount of whining. Good luck to everyone here, and please take a moment to think about how the complaints of just some of the members forced the mods to do this.

If you feel the urge to hit that report button rather than scroll on over this little tidbit of truth - then yes, you are part the problem.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 10:11   #32

Boat: Alajuela 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
Exactly!

Most jokes make fun of some group or another. There is always some potential for someone to be offended - but it's their choice to play the offended victim card and constantly whine about this or that or everything.

I'll be honest here. I was a moderator on The Diesel Page and even though people claim moderating is a thankless job - it's not. If you enforce the rules equally, every single time, and are completely transparent about it, you WILL get thanked for doing your job without bias, especially from those who were given a few chances to grow up and finally got a week long suspension that they really deserved.

That website has a joke thread that was started prior to 2000 and from what I recall, we NEVER got any complaints about the jokes. The jokes were not limited in content or poor taste, so if you didn't like it, you were told to not read them.

The other off road website I still frequent had a HUGE joke thread that was started 20 yrs ago, I borrowed a lot of jokes from there but over half of the jokes from there were either too brutal, too political, too honest or too racial to be posted here on this website. Again, not one single complaint about the jokes on that site. There were a lot of jokes too - they averaged 5 or more pages per day.

To put it another way, of all of the websites I've been on, some of the members of this website complain more than any other website, ever. They also argue more about mono hull vs multi-hull, anchor type, electrical - you name it, there's an argument about it. Far beyond anything I've seen anywhere else. There ARE people on this site who truly are experts in their fields, yet completely ignorant people continue to argue with them - it's mind blowing!

As far as GordMay's posts, I didn't find them offensive, but I often wondered why the rules were not enforced on him. Conversely, I was sent an email and blamed for SOMEONE ELSE's tasteless post. Take a wild guess how something like that happens. One guess might be that the moderation team were so overwhelmed with constant complaints they couldn't keep track of who posted what and what crossed the line.

I did enjoy the joke thread when actual jokes were posted vs long excursions into pedantry and obscure topics. I contributed jokes to it because I wanted to give back rather than just get a chuckle now and then, but Jesus did it come with an unbelievable amount of whining. Good luck to everyone here, and please take a moment to think about how the complaints of just some of the members forced the mods to do this.

If you feel the urge to hit that report button rather than scroll on over this little tidbit of truth - then yes, you are part the problem.

Amen!
japawil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 08:02   #33

Boat: 1968 Hinterhoel Redwing

2020 was a difficult year. I even stubbed my toe. During that painful time I often turned to the joke thread for some much needed humor.
Even with Gord May's jokes with an agenda I found some of them to be funny because they were either self depreciating or had a grain of truth to them.
Bring the joke thread back please.
Old 12-05-2021, 04:23   #34

The HOWLERS that screech at almost any post can never be happy, so just ignore them.
FAST FRED is offline   Reply With Quote